Forum > Engine

Mag Dynamo Rebuild, crank bearing seals

<< < (4/4)

farmerdl:
The subject of slots in the big ends of the con rods was mentioned.  If I remember correctly Tony Murphy (after Don Vesco)  raced a GTR back in the early 70s and and one of the egine modifications included slotting the big end on the rods and then honing them just enough after to ensure that they were absolutely true and round.  So those of you on this forum with experience in rebuilding these cranks,  what say you?

Gerrit:
I have that article, which appeared in MSQ, and in addition to the slotting and honing Tony Murphy also fitted Yamaha TR2 big-end bearings. No doubt these were better suited to high rpm operation than the standard GTR parts.
Regardless of use (street or racing) and lubrication (pump or petroil), I would definitely prefer slotted big-ends, whether the oil collectors are fitted or not. The big-end is the most critical bearing and can only benefit from the slots. 

farmerdl:
Which issue of MSQ has the Tony Muphy article?  It may have been a two part story.

dl

Gerrit:
The issue with the engine mods was the Autumn 1971 issue; apparently there was also an article dealing with the cycle parts of the bike, but I don't have that and have no idea in which issue of MSQ it appeared- Summer 1971 perhaps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version