Author Topic: Considering reproducing 350 right carb/clutch covers PLEASE HELP  (Read 7790 times)

Offline Richard Clark BS parts

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Bridgestone Motorcycle Discussion Board
BS Friends:

I am considering making a run of Bridgestone 350 carb covers. I am considering making the right side, or maybe even pairs, including the left side.
Contacts in my other business would allow this to happen, since I already have a few thin wall aluminum items currently being made.
These carb covers are basically not available on the open market in any numbers.

Keep in mind the left cover while not in such demand is also somewhat rare too.

The problem with making these is directly related to price, the more that can be sold the more can be made.  Making more greatly reduces the cost per item, however with an item of this complex thin shape, and fully polished.  I do know for a fact that the order would need to be for 100’s of items.
If I had to order 500 to get a low per piece price, just how many would I sell, Keep in mind that the small number of ones I sell would have to pay for the whole lot!

My Questions:
1) Do you want sets or just rights, then what happen when folks want left side ones?
2) Give me your ideas on a retail price on rights and pairs.
3) Tell me how many you would send a deposit for, at what price.

When answering the above questions, I am not asking what your would pay for that “last one available” as what happens currently, the price I need to know, if you knew that I always had them.

Response from this message will determine if I go forward with the project,  or if someone else want to do it, I will step out.

Thanks for your input
Richard Clark

Questions? or need Bridgestone parts? call:

Richard Clark
812-944-1643  8am-6pm EST Weekdays
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:54:16 AM by Richard Clark BS parts »
Richard  Clark, Owner and provider of this site
BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLE PARTS
New Albany IN

BS Shopping Cart- With just a few of my BS parts

https://6x6parts.com/bridgestone_motorcycle_parts/

Thanks
Richard Clark

bsparts@aye.net

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
Re: Considering reproducing 350 right carb/clutch covers PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
I'd go with "sets".

If they were $199.00 a set, I'd consider that a bargain.  I'd probably be willing to pay more.  Maybe $299.00 for a set???

I'd want at least two sets and I'd put at least 50% down.

Online moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »
Hi Richard,

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.  ;D

Based on this statement of yours, "I am not asking what your would pay for that “last one available” as what happens currently, the price I need to know, if you knew that I always had them.", I think a fair price would be something close to what you are currently asking for NOS 175/200 covers. After all, these will be "reproduction/replica" pieces and not genuine BS stock. That is a big difference to some folks who will feel that they shouldn't have the same "value" as the "real deal".

I have no suggestions as to whether you should go with "sets" or just the "right" cover as I have no idea what the demand is. Do you get many requests for the left one? How many do you have still have? I did recently see a left one sell pretty quickly on eBay though.

As of now, I have 2 good sets that came with the 2 GTO's I bought plus I picked up a "left" cover last week so I wouldn't count me in when factoring in the "demand". But hey.... you never know, if the right GTR pops up, I may need some in the future!  :o
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »
i think sets and around $300 possibly

Sno Jet

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »

Hi Richard/Members.  This would be a big accomplishment.  Richard, your the man to do it for multiple reasons.  One of them being, we trust you with our deposits.  People also are more likely to honor their order with you.  Here are my thoughts.

1.  Sell them individually.  We all do not need a set.  You will get more $ per piece as all of us can not afford both at once.

2.  Deposit up front for each piece is a must and understandable.

3.  Offer a discount for multiple orders.(rights or lefts)  This would be a good way to get the order numbers up so this project actually happens.

The biggest factor is cost.  Both for you and us.   We may not be able to get both sides done at first.   I think a target price should be $200-250 for the right side, but may not be a reality??  I would be interested in ordering two or three rights depending on price.  This is not a lot of money in the Vintage motorcycle world.   If you own a bike from the big three, you know first hand how much is involved in a restoration.

Members/owners need to realize that we all need to give a little to make projects like this happen.  This means that we may need to pay a bit more than we planned for or buy one to place the order, even though we do not need it immediately.  There will most likely never be another order made.     

It will take all of us Bridgestone enthusiest's who own or want to someday own a 350 to commit to buying one so an order can be placed.  Without commitment and the orders, it will not happen.  There are quite a few unrestored 350's out there(in the U.S. anyway) which need right side covers.    They have been popping up for sale this year as we have witnessed.  For the diehards, one may find its way into your garage, here or overseas.  I think we can all agree that no matter our differences, we share a passion for this make of motorcycle.

I also understand that this is not going to be a money maker for you and that it will most likely end up being a contribution to our hobby.  For us, it may lead to some other parts being made in the future.   Making Bridgestone reproduction parts can happen but we need to act as a group to succeed. 

Lastly, the covers would need to be of good quality and close to the originals. 

I'm done.  Good luck and thank you. 

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »
i think you pretty well nailed it snow jet now we need to see more people come to the party

ztnoo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:56:35 AM »
I think this is really going to be about what the demand is, what the buyer pricing threshold is, and that will influence whether to attempt this, and of course, per unit costs.
As worthy and rewarding as this project would be for those restoring 350s, after reviewing Serial number ID guide by Graham Weeks, http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=449.0, (See page 2), I would point to his reference to the total numbers of 350s which were manufactured, I have to wonder about the demand part of this equation.

Here is the full list I have of known serials, taken from bikes I've actually seen and those I've seen for sale on the web.

BS350 GTR / GTO   Manufacture started in June 1967

(Total of 10,200 BS350s built)

In the great scheme of things, those are pretty small numbers.
According to all of Graham's production numbers, only BS 200s were made in smaller numbers (7800).
I think we can assume lower production numbers also influenced the decisions made about producing parts/spares for later sale and use.
Some specific parts would have been produced in larger numbers because of normal service life issues.
Others......such as 350 carb covers..... likely were never produced in excess to create a significant backlog for dealers to draw upon.
How many? Well, this sheer speculation, but I can imagine something in the order of maybe 1% of the total bike production numbers, i.e. 102.
That would be 102 lefts and 102 rights.
We might stretch the percentage a little bit to 1.5% of total bike numbers and the would give us 153 lefts and rights. Seems a little strong to me.
Anyway, whatever the number of spare carb covers produced as replacement parts, it is essentially gone 40-45 years later.

Another interesting angle on this which admittedly can't be verified is the question: How many 350s actually still survive that haven't been crushed, totaled in accidents, or otherwise destroyed?
How many still survive essentially complete in someone's garage, shed, or barn, but have been totally ignored for a couple of decades?
How many still are in running order?
How many are registered and plated for the street?
How many are actually being restored currently?

I think you can see the more questions one asks, likely generally results in smaller overall remaining numbers of 350s.
Although a few were scattered around in the UK, Oz, and elsewhere, the bulk of them were sold here in the US.
I would stunned if more than 10% of the production run still exist in some more or less complete form; 20% would be off the charts, IMO.
So if we use the range of those percentages, how many owners are seeking decent looking carb covers?
I guess we'll find out.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:59:00 AM by ztnoo »

ziggy stardust

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
Selling price all depends upon order quantity and production costs then also add a mark up for the supplier.

I would think if the covers were manufactured then it would be better to buy the them as sets so that they match, I would imagine aluminium is of a higher quality these days and it's not cheap.

But what about demand? Ztnoo covers it very well and I've got to say I don't think the demand will be high enough to warrant going into production. The NOS one on eBay at present, is it coincidence or is it there to test the market and see just how much someone will actually pay for one of these covers and also give the seller an idea as to how many GTR/O owner's actually want one and are willing to pay a fair price, nothing happening at the moment but let's see what happens in the last 30 seconds?

For all our benefit I'd like it to happen.

Z

Online moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »
Looks like there's been a little jump in activity on the auction with 4 bids in and the $ amount @ $152.50.

Like ziggy, I too am looking foward to the last 30 seconds, should be interesting to say the least.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:20:05 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Richard Clark BS parts

• Administrator
    • Bridgestone Motorcycle Discussion Board
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
To you guys who have commented on the potential side cover project thanks!

To add a thought or two:

1) If reproductions were to be done, by me. They would be as original, very nice as the company I use produces superior parts.
2) You guys are correct, we would need some serious numbers of orders, to get this done.
3) From my limited knowledge, I feel price on reproductions would need to be south of 175$ as many BSers, seem to have limited budgets, that is to sell a lot.
4) To achieve that price point or less, see my thought #2
5) First major cost of project would be production of a mold, suitable for thin wall production. Same issue I was up against concerning  my abandoned 350 clutch plate project.
6) Not to beat a dead horse, but we will need some serious numbers of orders, to get this done.
7)  I already have 55 BS items being reproduced, so really do not mind doing it, but there has to be a market.
8. Yes that my cover on ebay, as covers are getting hard to find, so there it is, for sale. at least we may see what a remaining cover is worth!

Need more comments from anyone who is interested in the 350.  Six different people have responded, there has to be more guys interested, or is there?

Do any other BS parts suppliers want to help?  I will check with a few of them.

Questions? or need Bridgestone parts? call:

Richard Clark
812-944-1643  8am-6pm EST Weekdays

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:22:13 AM by Richard Clark BS parts »
Richard  Clark, Owner and provider of this site
BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLE PARTS
New Albany IN

BS Shopping Cart- With just a few of my BS parts

https://6x6parts.com/bridgestone_motorcycle_parts/

Thanks
Richard Clark

bsparts@aye.net

deisher6

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »
I would pay $2-300 for one set.
regards charlie

Sno Jet

Re: Considering reproducing 350 right carb/clutch covers Contacting all member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »
This post is mostly for Richard but involves anyone interested in the covers.  I was thinking that many of our 1300+ members are not presently active on the Forum on a regular basis and probably don't know about your interest in reproducing the carb. covers.

Is there an easy way for you to send a mass email to all of the members directly?  or would each one need to be individually emailed?

I would be willing to send out some emails.  Maybe other members would be willing to help out and we could divide it up by alphabetical order.  Just a thought?

What do you guy's think?  Thanks.

Colin

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »
I too would like at least the right side cover, if it's pairs only then I will just have to put up with it, count me in as well and I dont mind paying a deposit or even all up front if that is what is required, i really need a right case
Colin.

redimport

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:04:17 AM »
Mornin All,

Please excsue the delay but we (Richard & myself) are trying to get costs for doing these covers.

later .. ray

Gallery

Views:4984
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6184
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6490
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6523