Author Topic: gto vs gtr fuel taps  (Read 11794 times)

Offline Mike Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
gto vs gtr fuel taps
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
For all who have questions about the differences in gto and gtr fuel taps, I posted some pictures in my gallery. This should let everyone see what the differences are between the two. Hope this helps someone.
Later Mike

Offline steve

• Full Bridgestone Member
Re: gto vs gtr fuel taps
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
Thanks for posting those pictures Mike...at least I now know what I'm looking for. I'm surprised how different the taps actually are, including the lever. Out of interest, what caused the bowl of the GTO tap to have a hole in it...assume this had a hex head like the GTR tap that snapped off?

Steve

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »
Steve,
Actually that happened a while back when I was at Steve Reed's house. We were taking it apart with a wrench and found out the hard way that they are weak in that area. That being said for future reference, use a strap or some gentle method for getting the bowl off. If it is too tight from corrosion etc. give it a good soak in penetrating oil or something and maybe a heat gun. Once they are broken it is too late to think about it.
Later Mike

reed

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »
Mike,
I have a few GTR fuel taps and i was thinking of changing the fitting on the outlet side to suit the GTO fuel tap etc.
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline steve

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »
I've re-shaped the lever on my tap (GTR type) so that it will work on the GTO. It's looks fine and will do for now, but in the long run, I would of course like to find the proper item.

Steve

Offline steve

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Here's a pic...needs a little bit of work just to finish off but at least it does work!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »
Wow, the one on my new GTO doesn't look like any of the photo's posted so far.  ???

Anybody recognize it?
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
That a Bridgestone 175 or 200  fuel cock  Jeff Bar

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
That a Bridgestone 175 or 200  fuel cock  Jeff Bar

Thanks Jeff!

It seems to function all right at the moment, so I guess it'll have to do till I find the correct one.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »
Moonpup. I seem to remember reading somewhere here, that the 175 fuel valve will work, but will not pass enough fuel at high engine loads, so be careful.  ???  Jeff Bar

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »
Man I love this site!  ;D Thanks for the heads-up Jeff. The bike's going to go through a full resto long before it's ridden, so I have some time to do a little bit of sleuthing before actually needing it.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
Ok, let's continue this discussion a little further. Besides the 175 tap that was on my GTO's tank, I had an extra one from the parts bike that appeared to be a GTR tap based on Mike's pictures. In addition, I bought another tap along with some other parts from a GTR being parted out on Craigslist that looked to be identical to the one I already had. I figured I could use these to maybe trade for the correct one I needed or just outright sell them to help fund the project.

Today while getting them cleaned up to take pictures for a classified ad I was going to post, I noticed a significant difference between to two of them. Check out these pictures and let me know what you think.

1st. pic --- Both main bodies are identical to each other as well as the GTR tap Mike A. posted.

2nd. pic --- Both the numbered plates and the notched out sections on the back side of the handles are reverse opposites. In addition, neither have the short squatty bowl on the bottom nor the adjustable nozzle Mike talks about the GTO tap having.

3rd. pic --- The handle for the left tap is shorter and has a notch on the underside that the other doesn't have. When turned to the #1 position, the rear of the handle would be pointing up and leave plenty of clearance between it and the bottom of the tank.

So...what's going on here gang?  ???

Sno Jet

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »
My best guess would be that there may have been a slight change made by the manufacturer between 1967-71?  Using up extra parts on hand?  Many possible reasons why things change during production.  Kind of like those repro 350 seat covers.   Let's see if any of the members have each type.  Interesting.

reed

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »
Moonpup
The bottom tap lever is a is off a gtr tap i have a few of them!
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
Well Steve, I guess both taps are for the GTR.  :(

The left one in my pics looks to be identical to the tap you restored for Richards bike. ( http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1084 )

It would now seem that there were at least 2 different ones used on the GTR's and while having the same main body, the handles turned opposite of each other and were shaped differently.

That leaves me still needing one for my GTO resto.....anybody wanna trade?  ;D

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
My best guess would be that there may have been a slight change made by the manufacturer between 1967-71?  Using up extra parts on hand?  Many possible reasons why things change during production.  Kind of like those repro 350 seat covers.   Let's see if any of the members have each type.  Interesting.

It appears you're correct, however I don't see a reason why they felt a need to change the direction of the handle, especially for the GTR.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:42:29 AM by moonpup »

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
Moonpup,
I haven't had time to take pictures, but the tap with the short handle and rotating thru the upward radius is also for a GTO. I have one on my gold bike. They must have switched to that style on the later bikes. Obviously the long handled version rotating down are for the GTR where the pipe is not an issue. The early model GTO tap has the adjustable outlet for the left carb and the large bowl on the bottom. When I get time I will post pictures of all three.
Thanks Mike

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
Moonpup,
I haven't had time to take pictures, but the tap with the short handle and rotating thru the upward radius is also for a GTO. I have one on my gold bike. They must have switched to that style on the later bikes. Obviously the long handled version rotating down are for the GTR where the pipe is not an issue. The early model GTO tap has the adjustable outlet for the left carb and the large bowl on the bottom. When I get time I will post pictures of all three.
Thanks Mike

Wow, that's great news Mike! So I guess the longer body isn't an issue? I had thought the shorter squatty one you posted the picture of was designed so that the bowl on the bottom wouldn't be so close to the GTO's muffler. Interesting.

( I guess that also means Richard is using a GTO tap on his GTR?  ;D )
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:00:34 AM by moonpup »

redimport

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »
Morning,

If I see all this correctly, what is needed is the GTO shorter lever and the retaining plate stamped correctly ?

If these two parts where available then you could convert an existing GTR tap into a GTO tap - correct ?.. or am I missing something.

Seems to be more of the long lever taps around.

later .. ray

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
Morning,

If I see all this correctly, what is needed is the GTO shorter lever and the retaining plate stamped correctly ?

If these two parts where available then you could convert an existing GTR tap into a GTO tap - correct ?.. or am I missing something.

Seems to be more of the long lever taps around.

later .. ray

Hi Ray,

My thoughts exactly. Just use the GTR main body, swap out the handle & plate and voila...... a GTO tap!

Gallery

Views:333
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1467
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1801
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1870