Author Topic: Japanese photos  (Read 9823 times)

Offline old smokey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Japanese photos
« on: March 23, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1474

Did everyone notice the photos Kotarojungle just posted of a restored GTR in front of the Bridgestone display?
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Bikenstein

Re: Japanese photos
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
I noticed one of them! ;D

Bikenstein

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »
Thanks Kotaro for the photos. That is a very nice restoration and I'm glad you got it ready in time. It's good you are creating more interest and appreciation for the Bridgestones there. Also thanks for the help and support you guys gave to the crank kit project as that was a major contribution to its success.  Arigatou gozaimasu, David
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:35:29 PM by Bikenstein »

kotarojungle

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:52:49 PM »
David, old smokey,

Hello.
Thank you for your reply for the photos of 350GTR.
It was an early 350GTR (NA1-004xx) made in June 1967, the first production month.
It has no 3x small holes to fit "350GTR" badge in left side battery cover as you can see it the cover of 350GTR factory manual.
We just finished restorations before the day to bring it to there !

You can see other photos on web too.

http://clicccar.com/2012/03/23/125982

And I also admire people in this Bridgestone group for the attitude of con rod reproduction too.
I regard all the people as SAMURAI.

Thank you,

Kotaro

Sno Jet

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:06:25 AM »
Glad to have you on here!  I find it interesting that we have people from all over. 

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
Kotaro,

I use to be really into Datsun 240Z's (Fairlady Z's) and it took years for Nissan to show any interest or involvement with the enthusiasts and clubs here in the States.

I noticed the GTR looks to be part of the Bridgestone display at the show. Is Bridgestone backing you in any way? Do they seem to have any interest in their motorcycle past?

Just curious,
Mike
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

paul

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
Thanks for showing your bike. I think the value of a GTR just went up 25%!!!! Can someone translate the GTR sign with the bike in the photo? Thanks

Bikenstein

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
That is a very high honor Kotaro. Thank you. I was very happy and thankful to be part of this international display of honor and integrity.  My serial number is 0010x so I guess it was from the first production month as well. It's nice to have one of the first ones.
The battery cover was missing but I would think it was missing the holes also. Keep posting pictures of your activities.

Sno Jet

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »
Bikenstein, hate to criticize you, buy you payed too much for that GTR!  Love your story.  Hope you have it a long time!!! 

Offline stickman

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »
just love that web site
Stick

Bikenstein

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »
Thanks Sno Jet. There's a sucker born every minute like P.T. said. I think every bike rider has had a favorite that they had a special attachment to. I'd like to own more GTR's but I don't think they would be as special as just havin this one. I wonder if the guys that have several of them really feel the same as I do. I don't know if Steve Reed has had other GTR's before his current one, but he said he loves the one he has now over other bikes. If you have 6, can you still have that one favorite bike? Are there guys buying these bikes and favoring them for what they are or is the appeal of these bikes due to owning one or wanting one back in the day? I never considered the Japanese Stoners before. I'd love to hear more from them.

reed

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »
David,
This is my first Bridgestone GTR and its one of my favorite motorcycles i am also into Kawasaki.
But there is something about this GTR i like and that black 90 Bridgestone now that the GTR is
Nearly finished i plan to build a GTR rider with old exhausts and some cleaned up parts etc.
I think its a lot of fun for me to build them.
Thanks.
Steve.

Bikenstein

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
Steve, is it not ok to use a restored bike as a rider? Of course it takes a lot of time and money to do one, but to me it's like having a brand new bike and then buying a used one to ride. :) I'd like to have another Kawasaki Big Horn like I had in 1970. I have 12 bikes currently, but my favorite is the GTR. I'm also into European bikes. I know nothing about hot tea but I'll give it a go.

kotarojungle

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »
Thank you for everyone,

I just rented the 350GTR and some memorabilia ( Big sign, later GTR fuel tank for display) to Bridgestone with no fee.
Bridgestone wanted to show any Bridgestone motorcycle and offered to me last year.
I suggested 90 road racer that won 1966 Japan GP winner replica  for representing their own glorious history and decided to exhibit it in March 2011.
But we have a big earthquake and Tsunami before the show and 2011 show was cancelled for it.....

Thus we have strong will against big earthquake without any reference directly each other and go for 2012 motorcycle show success fully .
Bridgestone want to exhibit Bridgestone motorcycle again and me too!
They want to exhibit moto GP racer champion bikes with BS tyre and 350GTR is better than 90 cc road racer to contrast to it.

In Japan market Bridgestone motorcycles stopped to sell in early 1967 and 350GTR was never introduced in Japan.
It was intended to released Tokyo motor show in October 1967 originally but never happen.
I regard that it was the first time 350GTR presented to public from Bridgestone officially in Japan.

These 3days (3/23-3/25) many people came to the show and 350GTR was big surprise for them.
Most Japanese do not know Bridgestone motorcycle now.

I told some original engineers and test riders, staffs of Bridgestone motorcycle in 1960's about this show.
They came to see 350GTR in Bridgestone booth.
They are over 60-80 years old now.
I talked and it  was most impressive thing for me.

I hope to exhibit other Bridgestone motorcycle in 2013 motorcycle show again.

Thank you,

Kotaro

Offline bsforever

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
Kotaro, there are alot of people here in the U.S. that never heard of a Bridgestone motorcycle too. I hope there was some mention in your conversation with the original Bridgestone staff and engineers and test riders about the re-newed intrest in Bridgestone motorcycles being a 'collectible' cycle if anything just to make them realize their work, although many years later after the brand as a motorcycle disappeared , is a sought after collectible now days and can take credit and have pride for the development of the brand. Thank you for sharing your story and pictures with the group Kataro, I learned a bit more than what i knew before. 8)

Bikenstein

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
Kotaro, that must have been a very great experience for you. Keep getting the Bridgestone bike interest growing there. It sounds like you are accomplishing a great deal with Bridgestone and the public. I love it. I know it would be a long shot, but it would be great if the company decided to resume manufacturing bikes. At any rate, keep up the very good work. It is well appreciated by all the Stoners, Thanks you are Seii Taishogun

kotarojungle

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 12:43:51 AM »
Thank you for your messages, bsforever, David,

Yes, I'm happy to see 350GTR with people who worked for.
It was sudden decision to abandon motorcycle business by Mr. Ishibasi, founder of Bridgestone in the end of 1966.
Many people who related to motorcycle division feel sadness for the news.
For a long time, it has been regarded as a kind of fail business symbol for Bridgestone company history.
I know it was wrong in fact but it was untouchable part for Bridgestone people.
But I guess it is changing recently and admire motorcycle department's achievement again at right.

I attached a photo of Mr. Hayashi who was project chief of 350GTR came to see it.
And other related people visited to there and called to me.

Also this web site is good to see the Bridgestone booth of this show (too many women !?).

http://response.jp/article/2012/03/25/171867.html

Thank you,

Kotaro (call me as just a BS samurai, Seii Taishogun is too much for me !)

Sno Jet

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
Where are the pictures of Mr Hayashi and the related others? 

I can only find beautiful models.  Can someone make a direct link to those particular photo's?  Thanks

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »
Kotaro...

It's great to hear that Bridgestone acknowledges and has interest in their motorcycle past/history. Maybe one day they'll invite some of our members to join their display at a show here in the States.  :D
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

kotarojungle

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:04 AM »
sno jet,

You can see Mr.Hayashi 's photo on GALLERY, events: General motorcycle meets

http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=18

moonpup,

Yes, one of original Bridgestone engineer wanted to visit to USA to meet with Bridgestone enthusiasts in USA.

Thank you,

Kotaro

Gallery

Views:2526
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:3654
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3964
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson