Author Topic: BS 350 old and350GTO project pictures  (Read 1931 times)

deisher6

• Trade Count: (0)
BS 350 old and350GTO project pictures
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:03:42 PM »
I added a photo gallery under deisher6 that shows a 350 GTO that I hope to fix up to ride....it ran before I started cleaning it up!  For some reasons the photo's look much better than the bike actually does. I am the second owner of the bike.  About 17 years ago a retired Chevy mechanic neighbor was showing me his very crowded shop where he makes violins.  I noted a tach and speedometer peeking out from under a blue tarp and suspected a Triumph or BSA.  I slid the tarp back and immediately recognized the trademark gas tank of a BS.  At that time it had not been ridden for about 8-10 years.  He wanted more room in his shop so he gave it to me with a smile. 

About 10 or so years ago a friend and I got it started and rode it around for a few miles.  It has sat in my garage since.  I recently retired (again) and wanted to put a vacuum system into my wood shop,  the best place to put the collector and motor was guess where!  So I decided that it was time to sell it, give it away, or use it.

I put some gas in the tank, and dammed if it didn't start.  It was not running really well, one carb was not hooked up to the throttle.  However when I opened up the carb with my finger the cylinder was definitely working.  I did not want to run it very long because the oil was pre 1990.  I decided that it was worth trying to get it usable.....I wish that I would have steam cleaned it before I started taking it apart.

My neighbor is a short guy and the bike has been on the deck a couple of times.  The pegs are rough, the clutch lever has been welded and the rear brake lever has been reformed.  The glass is cracked in both the tach and spedo.  The right carb cover has been repaired twice.  The chain hasn't been cleaned yet but both sprockets look good.  I think that it has original rubber,but both tires are holding air.  Both the right side battery cover and the left side fixed battery cover are gone.  I suspect that the neighbor kept good care if it mechanically but was not much in to aesthetics  or clean.

Anyhow I hope to have it ridable and not leaking gas sometime this month....or it will be up for sale.

Note the old picture of my second bike and my first girl.  Her helmet came from France, it was a popular style with the Guarde de la Route in the 50's..I painted the racing stripe! It was my brother's my folks made him wear it on his Lambretta, I inherited it.  I wore the traditional Bell helmet when I wasn't being cool.

regards charlie

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: BS 350 old and350GTO project pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »
Deisher6
A good story i have not seen that helmet that the young lady is wearing in years i spent some time in France!
Thanks.
Reed.

Gallery

Views:220
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson