Author Topic: 350 gtr initial start up 2  (Read 2351 times)

Offline disc valve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
350 gtr initial start up 2
« on: December 06, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »
Hi group
Making progress with the recommissioning of my GTR.have to start it on easy start spray.once warmed up it starts ok by itself.but i checked choke circuit when i cleaned the carbs i got 4 jets of carb cleaner through the choke tube and shone  a light through the choke jet in the float bowl.the cable does seem a bit long though.Runs through the gears but clutch screams a bit is this normal.held the oil pump fully open with it running and the 2 brass union bolts removed to eventually see oil glugging through both.At this rate ill be riding up and down the road before long.cheers

Offline AlanJohn

Re: 350 gtr initial start up 2
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 01:58:02 PM »
The clutches on these are notoriously rattily if you didn't know it you'd think it was broken  but it's normal

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »
  Sounds like you are nearly there, good progress.

RE starting on choke, three things you can check.
           Choke plungers, there should be approx 1/32'' cable slack at the choke lever on the bars. This ensures the choke plungers lift enough to open the starting circuit and reseat with the choke off.

Somethings often missed, the starter circuit pulls fuel direct from the float bowl via the brass tube that projects down from the carb body. Clear the small holes in the tube.IE two cross drillings.

Also, there are two vertical tubes cast into the float bowl, one is blank, second one has a slant drilling at its base, make sure the slant drilling is clear, can you now blow through the tube ? If not, there is a small brass jet at the bottom of the cast tube, that can't be removed. It can be cleared with a piece of wire smaller than 0.7mm dia. If there is crud above this jet, clear it by hand with a 5.5mm drill followed by a 2.0mm drill, don't remove any metal. Then use the wire to clear the jet.   Should now start on the choke.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:43:40 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline disc valve

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 04:33:28 AM »
Cheers Brian will update

Offline disc valve

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 05:20:45 AM »
Its lookong like the choke cable is/was a bit long.rechecked choke circuits all clear.i think the choke plunger isnt lifting high enough to open the air inlet
Screaming clutch is the basket just rubbing on the casing?
Had an oil leak on the right casing so pump and pipes ,clutch off again,ran casing face over emery cloth on a faceplate and refitt with sealer.but its off again to check clutch

Offline AlanJohn

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 06:39:37 AM »
Just a point which may interest you on some of my bikes the choke at the carbs are screwed right down as you say making the cable a little long but it makes no difference to starting l set one how it should be and it starts exactly the same with the cable a bit shorter
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 06:41:08 AM by AlanJohn »

Offline disc valve

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 12:25:54 PM »
Just come in from a session.measuring the depth of the choke seat on the carb and plunger base from its mounting nut.it was clear it wasnt opening enough.to cure it ive had to fit another choke lever which gives enough travel,bar mounted.i think ill have to shorten the cable if i go back to the original lever.to check it was working i opened the choke and blew down the choke air bleed then closed the choke and couldnt blow down the air bleed .starts a treat now .wrongly reported clutch basket rubbing.its clear at the moment and the more i use the clutch the less it screeches.

Ive glued a thin layer of foam  over the airfilter mesh but it doesnt seal very well at the ends of the mesh.any tips
Just snagging my way through.nearly there.you inherit problems and bodges with parts and sometimes replicate the issue not nowing how it was originally and that time spent sometimes frustratingly getting to know the bike.thanks for your input

Offline disc valve

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 04:08:43 PM »
 Hi group
Snagging continues.oil pump leak.r/h c c cover oil leak.neutral switch cover oil leak been hit by chain at some stage.left header pipe leak.seat rivits fell out during ride.assembled clutch wrong copied how it was wrongly assy .test ride interesting accessing bike and trying to get used to gearbox.got cables routed wrongly now corrected.ran very fluffy till it got on to main jet.ordered some jets.tank liner started peeling off so gods testing me at the moment.cheers

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 05:01:06 PM »
Not sure what you mean by clutch screams.... Yes they do rattle but what do you mean?  Jeff Bar

Offline disc valve

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
Hi Jeff
When i removed cover there was ali powder.since discovered id assembled it wrongly and had ali rubbing on ali should have known better

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 05:14:37 PM »
is it Ok now?

Offline disc valve

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 09:39:28 AM »
Havnt tried it since.waiting for weather window