Forum > Engine

Help Disconnecting Carb From Choke BS90 Trail

(1/4) > >>

stingray68:
Hello Everyone,

I would like to remove the carb and give it a good soak and cleaning, but I don't see anywhere in the manual that explains how to remove the choke cable from the carb.  I loosen the nut and it just seems like it binds up and never wants to disconnect from the carb.  Am I doing something incredibly wrong or making this much harder than it really is?  I would not doubt either one is very possible!!!  You all have been such a great help with this project and I am getting close to getting this bike on the road again.  Thank you all in advance.  Mike

mqtsteve:
Mike,
You're right it's simple!  Spray penetrating oil in the hole and let it soak.  The plunger just pulls out as long as the cap nut and adjuster are free.  It took a couple of days of soaking before I could remove one of mine.  Good luck, Steve 

BRT-GTR:
       If it won't budge after a good soak, disconnect the cable at the lever end and slide the outer cable up so you can get at the choke plunger. Use a small screwdriver in the cable slot to give it a gentle twist. Usually does the trick.
        Brian.

stingray68:
Hi Guys,

Well after a good long soak and a little twist of the screw driver the plunger is now free! I do now have another issue.  The cable will not stay connected to the plunger.  I am afraid that I may have widened the slot with the screw driver.  I was wondering if anyone has had to modify the plunger and cable connection or do I need to replace the cable at this point?  Thank you all in advance for the help....Mike

BRT-GTR:
           I assume the nipple is still on the end of the cable. If so, sounds like you may have spread the slot. Just try gently squeezing it back together with pliers or a small vice, the key word being 'gently'. Carefully clean any marks off the plunger with a small file before trying it back in the carb otherwise it could jam again. They are a close fit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version