Author Topic: GTR Front Brake Switch  (Read 13592 times)

Offline slawsonb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: GTR Front Brake Switch
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
Certainly not expecting you to start tearing things apart, Moonpup. You have been a great help already. Yes, I have the multi-connector, so maybe this add won't be too much of a chore. Mine has two blue wire crimped on and sockets for 3 more.
Colin, I am kinda an electrical geek (computer engineer), so the opportunity to add stuff cannot be ignored (it's not curable)... as well, I would like to be able to use the front brake in certain situations to hold the bike and light the rear lamp. Just a good safety precaution.
On the dating question, if your frame has the VIN tag on the right side below the seat, you should be able to find the serial number and date the bike by that means.
Thanks gents...
...bert

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Ok, so I went back out thinking the ign. switch is pretty accessable for photo's and I'd just take a few shots of where the red/yellow ends up.  WRONG..... ::) It goes right past it, over or beside the coils and on to the dark abyss towards the back of the tank. I'm done.  ;D  :D  ;D
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
Do not venture into the dark abyss!  ;D
Actually, this tells me it's a separate wire that runs to the dark abyss (rectifier area). So if those other members ever show up bearing gifts (answers) about how it connects back there, I will know what to do (rare occasion)...muchas gracias Moonpup!...
...bert

Colin

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
The rectifier area
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:34:21 AM by Colin »

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
Thanks Colin. I am looking for a red/yellow wire coming from the headlight bucket, past the ignition switch, over the coils (and thru the woods...;-) to the rectifier area. I can see in both of your pictures the red/yellow coming up from the rear brake switch, but I can't find the red/yellow from the front. Am I missing it or is it not there? I am trying to figure out how both brake switches are tied together in the circuit with the brake light. I suspect there is a double connector involved somewhere. Appreciate your help.
...bert

grundlegrabber

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »
I have been working on the wiring of my '69 GTO. It does not have a front brake light switch, and no provision for one on the lever perch. I have been trying to figure out what the hell this "mystery" red/yellow wire is that runs from the headlight bucket back to the regulator area. The bike was "restored" by the previous owner and I don't know what is original and what is not. It has a soingle red/yellow wire in a black vinyl sheath that runs separately outside the main harness. Since just about every wire on this bike was connected to the wrong thing, I can't say how it is supposed to be.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 07:21:51 PM »
edit...not needed.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:13:14 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »
Grundgrabber, is your mystery red/yellow connected in the rectifier area (aka the dark abyss)?
If so, how and to what? If it's easy and you are so motivaetd a pic of the connection would be appreciated.
Thanks...
...bert

reed

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
Wiring Diagram for a GTR this might help the red and yellow on a GTR is for the rear brake light switch.
Thanks.
Steve.

Colin

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
Ok slaw, I have just looked at my harness, in fact I kind of hung it back on the frame to get an idea of where it all goes, the red/yellow that comes off the rear brake switch splits into two and one single wire comes back up the frame and I'm pretty sure it goes into the head light and hooks up with the red/yellow stripe from the front brake switch, the red/yellow and the blue from the front brake switch are on a very short tail but there is a small extension piece which adds on to take it into the headlight, the blue in there has a double on one side, which I reckon is where the blue wire plugs into from the front switch, obviously I will circuit test it all when I put it back together but I'm almost certain what I have told you is how it is.
If you need a photo just message me an email address and I will send you a few photos tomorrow but it will be as I described.
I hope this helps you, you need a length of red/ yellow wire to come off the rear brake switch and go up to the headlight and a double plug crimped onto the headlight blue wire.
Colin.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
This is exactly what i was looking for Colin. A couple more questions: Is the wire that goes from the rear brake switch (red/yellow) to the headlight bucket an integral part of the rear brake switch harness? A picture of this split (one to front, one to tail light) would be greatly appreciated. I will send you my email. uch appreciate your help.
Many thanks to you Colin and Moonpup, Reed, and Grundlegrabber. I think we cracked the case.!
...bert

grundlegrabber

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »
My red/yellow wire is not connected to anything. Just hangin out back by the rectifier. My rear brake switch has a yellow and a red/yellow. Not home right now so I'm not sure but I think I have it connected to blue. There was no red/yellow wire in my harness except the single wire that's not connected on either end. The bike I have is pretty nice, but it's had lots of issues. I thought it would have been in a lot better shape based on the way it looked but the PO must have just done a cosmetic restore and never actually ran it. I've spent a lot of time on it, just about ready to run now. It's pretty nice now, just some details to be sorted out.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »
Grundlegrabber, glad to hear you are getting close. Mines still a way's off, but this time, it gonna be killa!
...bert

Colin

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
Right I know some of you won't have a clue what I was on about with the wires so here's some photos.
Like I said I had to just hang the harness back on the frame to get these photos but hopefully these photo's will help anybody wishing to fit the front brake switch, as you can see there is a short extra piece of wiring which takes the red/yellow stripe and blue wires from the front brake light switch into the headlight, the blue attaches onto a double socket connector while the red/yellow stripe attaches to the single wire that runs back up the frame from the red/yellow wire on the back brake switch, this is on a splitter too which I have clearly photographed, it's not far up from the rear brake switch but looking at how long it is from the back switch i'd say it will be hidden behind the oil tank.
The single red/yellow stripe wire from the back switch to the headlight is properly sleeved  like it came out the factory.

Colin

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »
And some more photos.
Anybody that needs any more specific photos message me and I will send them onto your email address, this forum limits how many photos can be attached at one time, which is probably a good thing anyway
 :)

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »
Awesome Colin! I think the red/yellow wire from the front with the "tee" that allows both brake switches to connect to the brake light is p/n 8813-9010 Sub wire harness (not very descriptive).
...bert
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:53:16 PM by slawsonb »

Gallery

Views:5061
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6268
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6622
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson