Author Topic: Chrome versus solid red color on gtr tanks  (Read 5141 times)

Offline Mike Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Chrome versus solid red color on gtr tanks
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Hi All,
Just posted some pictures of the tanks for my GTR that I am in the process of restoring. I did a tank with solid red w/ gto chevrons and one with the standard chrome on the sides. Curious as to what the opinions of others are solid red versus chrome. Please feel free to comment it will not hurt my feelings. It is my bike so I can have it both ways but I am interested in what others think about the solid color. I had another gtr painted that way and liked it so decided to give myself options on this one.
Thanks Mike

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

reed

Re: Chrome versus solid red color on gtr tanks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
Mike
Like you i have a chrome tank and a solid red tank and i like the solid red tank it just stands out at you!
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline BS Mechanic

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:53:35 PM »
I think Bridgestone got it right with the paint/chrome combination.
The GTR is still the sharpest overall design for a bike I've seen before or since! 
Just my 2cents worth!

Variations on the theme are good, and offer an individuality the standard doesn't have, but I'm still stuck on the original.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
My GTR has a solid red tank with no stripes.  I painted a ratty spare tank that way because I haven't gotten around to getting the original tank rechromed.  It looks pretty good, but I prefer the chrome sides.  Of course, since it now has a decent looking tank, the incentive to get the other tank done is less.   ::)
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline rwgibbon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • 1968 BS 350 GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »
Mike,

It is completely up to you on how you want the tank to look, painted or chromed.

Both look great!

Randy

Offline disc_valve

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »

For what it's worth, I did a similar thing with my own GTR. It's a 1968 model originally with a red/chrome tank, and I rode it that way for about 15 years. It started to look a bit scruffy, so when I came to rebuil it I decided to do sometihing a  bit different, as every other GTR in the UK at that time seemed to a red and chrome one.

I decided to do it in the 1971 scheme, the same as yours, but in Bridgestone Candy Blue (matched from a new 100TMX side cover). I reckon it looks great in that scheme - it's certainly unique over here - but I was bit taken aback at first when I collected the parts from my paint man. Dave had set the frame up on the bench with the blue tank and battery cover loosely dropped into place. The first impression was that the whole assembly looked just so dull and BLUE, and I wondered if I'd made a wrong choice. Fortunately, once I started to fit forks, engine, fenders and mufflers the whole thing brightened up and really gleamed.

I do like that Candy Blue color, but I've since done a spare tank/battery cover set in the standard Candy Red and chrome. If I fancy a change It'll be fairly easy to swap over. 

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »
Well, that is my feelings also. That is why I did a set both ways. It only takes a few minutes to make the change and you can have a different bike. That being said I am still partial to the smooth look of the solid color once the chrome is all in place. I guess that is why everything is not black and white. HaHa.
Later Mike

Offline disc_valve

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply. I've attached a pic of my GTR for you to see (I didn't have the files available earlier), along with one of my 100TMX.

I've done the same thing with the TMX. It was originally in 1970 Sequoia Green scheme (as per the photo), but I had a spare tank in good condition which I had chromed. I then had it sprayed in the same green but in the earlier 1968/69 style, complete with early curved "Bridgestone" name decals. I have swapped the tanks over once, but it's a bit more of a job on the '100 because the tank has a connecting tube between the two sides and has to be drained first. It's surprising what a difference it makes to the bike's look - one version defintely mid-1960s and one definitely early 1970s style. This time, I'm not sure which one I prefer.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline disc_valve

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »

Sorry - I think I might have scrwewd up - here really is the GTR pic!!

reed

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »
On my red tank i have for my GTR what do you think about putting the Bridgestone Logo each side of the tank.
And do the same colors as on the site red yellow and black.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Steve.

Gallery

Views:4990
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6192
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6497
Comments (0)