Author Topic: Two Issues  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Toystoretom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Two Issues
« on: October 23, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »
1. I replaced my center stand on my "runner" today. The center stand that was on it was bent and it hit the left muffler when it was in the up position. I took the center stand off of my nasty and very incomplete parts bike, bead blasted it and had it powder coated (it now looks better than new) and swaped them out. It now works great. The problem is that it won't clear the side stand when you put it up. The side stand isn't bent, but it is missing the little wire "tang" that you would use to put the sidestand down with your foot. If I hold the sidestand down just a very little (maybe only 1/2 inch) the center stand clears it just fine. Does that wire tang hold it down? Or was there a rubber bumper on the sidestand? When I put the sidestand up it hits the bottom of the muffler with a loud metallic clang, so something is amiss.

2. When I start this bike up it smokes a lot. I mean a lot. I know it will smoke some when cold and it needs to warm up, but I'm thinking this is abnormal. I haven't ridden it very much but it did seem to clear out after a few minutes. It smells like two stroke oil and not crankcase oil. Is it even possible to suck crank oil into the engine since it has a dry clutch and primary? Can two stroke oil from the tank leak past the oil pump and get in the bottom of the motor when the bike is sitting? Maybe the oil pump is set too high? (Who knows who has been messing with this thing). Also it seems to smoke more from the right side.

Throw some ideas at me. Two strokes are a strange breed indeed.

Tom
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: Two Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 07:46:02 PM »
The sidestand wire tang does keep it down a little.  It's about a 1/4" rod, could easily be replaced.  The sidestand doesn't have a bumper as far as I know, mine clunks a little, but not very loudly, when it is retracted.  The centerstand does have a rubber bumper.

The injection oil can't leak through the pump into the engine.  The check valves in the end of the oil lines at the crankcase require a little pump pressure to force oil into the crankcase, more than just gravity pressure.  Check your oil pump to see if it is returning to the closed position when the throttle is closed.  If it is, also re-check the cable adjustment to make certain it is correct (pump control wheel lined up with the notch on the body when the "O" on the carb slide is at the top of the bore).  If that is right, let me know and I can send a picture of the approximate adjustment of the oil pump stroke adjustment.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

BSOrion

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
Tom,

Check under the exhausts to see if there is a bracket with a hole to receive a rubber bumper.  Let me know and if it's there, let me know, I've got an extra NOS to send you.

Orion

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »
Ahhhh, so maybe the muffler has a rubber bumper, I will look.

I will also check the oil pump adjustment, like I said who knows who has been in there.

I had a thought (I know, a rare occurance).... the mufflers have a lot of residual two stroke oil in them, do you think maybe that stuff is getting hot from the exhaust and smoking? It's kind of weird that the right side smokes more than the left.

BSOrion

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »
Seems like a possibility Tom.  With mine, I ran it down the road at about 75 mph for about 20 mikes and the exhaust was nice and clean when I parked; however, now it won't idle and barely runs.  I'm afraid I've blown a seal or something cuz now it's smoking quite a bit so I've got some trouble-shooting to do.  Will take some help from the gurus here on the site.

Anyway, between compression and vacuum tests I've seen discussed on this site, you may find the cause of excessive smoke.  I'm not sure how often oil pump settings are responsible for disparities between cylinders.

Best of luck and let me know about the rubber stop for your center stand.

Orion

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:22:08 PM »
I was able to get under the bike and it has no bracket for a bumper on the muffler. It looks like the tang I am missing holds the side stand away from the center stand, so I'll probably weld a new and improved tang on it, and put a rubber bumper on the tang. The end of the tang is still on the side stand and it is not very substantial, I can see why it broke off.

I haven't had a chance to check the oil pump. That may be next weekend's project. I think I may take the mufflers into work this week and run them through the parts washer, it can't hurt.

The bike actually runs decent after it warms up, and it starts after only a few kicks, so in reality this is just minor stuff  ;D

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
My 350 doesn't have even the remnants of a bracket on the muffler, they must have added it later.  Sounds like a good idea. 

If the right side smokes more than the left, it is because the crankshaft seal in the center of the right rotary valve cover leaks and it is sucking transmission oil. There is also the remote possibility the nut on the end of the crank holding the primary drive gear is loose, but not likely. Don't fret about it until you have some more time on it, see if it gets better with some running.  Just keep an eye on the tranmission oil level.   It's not difficult to fix if necessary.

The oil pump has the same stroke for each cylinder (it alternates pump stroke delivery to opposite cylinders).  There really is no adjustment to affect one side vs. the other.  One line could be restricted or leaking, though, so it would be good to double check the routing and also make certain there isn't a leak from the left side line.

Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:59:23 PM »
I know my GTR smokes more out the right side than the left when warming up. Seems to be pretty even once warm.
My side stand makes a little metal clunk when hitting the muffler on the way up, but the spring is a little weak on my side stand so it sags a little from the full up position.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

rocketman

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »
  Tom,My 69 GTR has a rubber bumper on the center stand and the side stand(if there) would have a small pin for a bumper. It has no bracket under the muffler. Center stand rubber is part #3335-9000,and the side stand rubber is part #3664-9000.  Thanks,Mark.

Gallery

Views:4491
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5656
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:5930
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:5934
Comments (0)