Author Topic: GTO Owner From Southern Illinos  (Read 4957 times)

JoesGTO350

• Trade Count: (0)
GTO Owner From Southern Illinos
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
Hello! My brother had a Bridgestone 100 back in the day and the bikes have always intrigued me. I found this 1971 GTO 350 in a garage. It only has 2200 actual miles on it. The story is the transmission had some sort of malfunction. The original owner tore the engine down in 1973 and it has set in his garage ever since. He is in his eighties now and sold me the bike. I hope to return it to running condition. I'm sure before this project is done I'll have many questions to post on here and hopefully gain some knowledge from the Bridgestone community. One question I do have is more out of curiosity. This bike was a one owner, in nice shape, other than the engine being apart, Lol!, what is a 1971 GTO 350 with a title worth in nice condition? I'm not wanting to sell or anything like that, just wanting to have an idea of what I might have when i get it finished compared to what I might have to put in it to fix it. Thanks and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

ztnoo

Re: GTO Owner From Southern Illinos
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:30:48 AM »
Welcome to the site! Nice looking GTO.....remarkably low mileage.
As to value, you might find the discussion about titles interesting and informative: http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=2258.msg8750;topicseen#new

The same points can be made regarding the value of an individual bike....a price point where seller is willing to part with with his property and a buyer is willing to part with his hard earned and increasingly devalued greenbacks, is individually subjective. Generally speaking, what you have is a rather pristine, complete, low mileage example which should increase the value, but yours is also partially disassembled and not running, which tends to decrease the value (to many anyway). Total numbers of GTOs produced (very low) favor higher values.

Mike Anderson, Steve Reed, and Moonpup can give you more realistic numbers because they have in the recent past been dealing with 350 purchases and restorations. An example of a GTO (which is not in as good of condition as yours appears to be) on the market right now may begin to give you an idea of a range of what yours may be worth. See: http://savoyvintagecycles.com/Inventory/0325/main.html

IMO, what you have has significant value, and the more of a fully functioning machine you can make it, the greater the value will be.
If I might ask, what did you give for the GTO, and what are your plans and time frame for getting this bike up and running?
Tell us how you located this bike and how far away from you was it. Have you known about the bike for a long time, or was it something you just stumbled across?
More pics would be super. Everyone here loves pics!

Regards,
Steve
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:54:23 AM by ztnoo »

Sno Jet

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 07:27:23 AM »
Hi Joe, in my opinion, a properly restored GTO or GTR with title should fetch a minimum of 6K today in the U.S.   If you can keep the original tank, seat and side covers with just a small touch up on the paint, that should add value. 

There is a world wide following for these bikes, so the bike is worth putting some money into.  The value should only go up when the economy stabilizes. 

You have come to the right place for help.  Richard, the owner of this site is a good source for parts and there are currently a few members with 350's in different levels of restoration. 

Take your time with your restoration and enjoy the ride. 

JoesGTO350

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
Thanks very much for your information! Love the quote at the bottom "not to worry about the world ending today because its already tomorrow in Australia" Lol! Never thought about it in that light! Lol! About the bike. I have known the people that owned the bike for about 35 years, since my early teens. The owners lived about 1 mile from my house. Never knew they had this motorcycle. I, through the course of my work was at her house working around her garage. She opened the door and I noticed what looked like a motorcycle under these blankets. She explained it was theirs and how long it had been apart and then asked if I knew anyone who might be interested in it saying they needed to get it out of the way. I've always owned motorcycles and said I would be interested. She asked what I would do with it being all apart and I said put it back together and keep it. I also said I would come by and give her the first ride, she's in her eighties! Lol! I told her to talk to her sons and make sure none of them had an interest in it. Like I said they all have been friends of my family for many years. Weeks later she was talking to my mom and told her to tell me if I wanted the bike come get it for $100. So I bought it and intend to honor my word of putting it back on the road. I have no set time line but will probably start re assembling the engine late January/ February after all the Holidays are over. From what I can tell I have all the major components. My fear being smaller nuts bolts being lost over the almost 38 years of being boxed up. I have a parts and repair manual so we shall see how it goes. Thanks again for your information!     

JoesGTO350

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »
Thanks Snow Jet for your response and information. You have answered one of my questions without having to ask. The condition of the seat and tank and side panels on this bike  are in very descent shape. the picture of this bike is how it was found, other that than washing almost 40 years of dust off it. The chrome or tank hadn't been polished. I don't guess the bike ever sat out a day in its life. I was wondering if it were better to repaint the tank for perfection or if possible polish out and keep all original finishes. So I understand it is more valuable to keep the original paint if possible. When assembling the engine should I polish the covers out to their original shine as they were when new, or assemble as they are with a duller patina?

Sno Jet

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
Great story.  Everyone loves to hear about the "finds".  I have to commend you for having them check with their son's first before loading it up.  Nice.  

I would keep the paint original and have someone touch up any rough spots.  I can't tell 100% from the pictures.  Always looks different in person.  Any one can paint a rough one over, original is always best.

Nuts and bolts are not a problem.   Make sure the rings are not stuck before running her.  Also use some premix fuel until you know everything is functioning.  Enjoy.

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
Wow, a beautiful find for a fantastic price.
I was going to say a very nice original one in good running condition would be worth at least $6k, and then I read SnoJet posted that price already.
Pictures are always nice to look at, but a video of it running would be sweet (I know not right away)!
Richard Clark and a couple other knowledgeable Bridgestone owners are only one state east of you.
Unless it's a GTO specific item you should have no real problem for parts.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »
I concur with all thoughts presented thus far....plus, I'm jealous as all get out!   

$100 bucks - scheeeeesh, it's not fair!  ;D
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

ztnoo

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »
Joe,
You may have just made the best investment of your life.
Nowhere else could you get the kind of return your bike would yield you right now as an immediate flip......or even later when you get it running.
Not in the stock market, not in CDs, not in the bond market, and probably not even in the volatile commodity markets.
Maybe its the luck of the draw....or that you are "living right"......or all the stars are in alignment, but WOW, a C note is unbelievable!
 :o

Regards,
Steve

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 03:59:25 PM »
what a great find its always good to hear have fun with it.
hey Steve i tried your maxwell house and bacardi mix yesterday it was great but i had to lay down so i wouldn't fall any further maybe to much coffee ???

ztnoo

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 04:59:27 PM »
coxy,
My references to Maxwell House and Bacardi 151 were not meant to imply they should be mixed together.........although I suppose one could experiment with that concoction.
I would generally advise against combining stimulants (coffee) and depressants (Barcardi rum), but I guess I'd leave that to the individual user's discretion.
 ;D

I seldom drink coffee after 11 am.
At some point, liquid stimulants loose their punch, especially if you have been partaking since 4 am or so.
I always reserve the rum (depressant) imbibing for late afternoon or evening.
Can you buy Bacardi in OZ?? If so, I bet its a bit pricey.

But.......whatever trips your trigger.
Bottoms up, mate!

Merry Christmas.....as its already that Down Under.

Regards,
Steve

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
yep ya can get Bacardi here and its not to expensive around $30 a bottle but i had a cocktail at Hamilton island made from Bacardi  rum which was $25 by itself that shout for the four of us was $100 that was pretty steep. you and every one else have a good Christmas tomorrow Santa has just left oz   

Gallery

Views:2541
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:3679
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3989
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:4006
Comments (0)