Author Topic: Thinking about selling the 175 on Ebay...any advice?  (Read 6181 times)

paul25g

• Trade Count: (0)
Thinking about selling the 175 on Ebay...any advice?
« on: August 28, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »
Hi guys,

I need to sell my BS 175 and have had it posted on Craigslist for the last week or so.  I've had quite a bit of interest, but when it comes down to the deal, people are wanting to offer trades or cash and trades instead of just cash.  So, I'm considering listing the bike on Ebay. 

I've bought and sold quite a bit on Ebay, so that isn't new to me, but I've never done either with a vehicle.....just seemed too complicated with payment, titles and shipping to deal with.

Has anyone done much of this, and if so, any advice?  I'm getting ready to sell my Mustang and Harley too so I'd just like to get an idea of what others think.  Thanks guys!

Paul

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Thinking about selling the 175 on Ebay...any advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
selling a mustang and a harley the scamers and tire kickers will be coming out of the woodwork .i find the genuine people will ask you for your phone number . i have also found if a bike doesn't meet reserve more people will contact you after the end of auction .

paul25g

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
Yeah, scammers are what I'm trying to keep away from.  I know there's always tire kickers, but that's just part of the deal I suppose.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »

I've bought and sold quite a bit on Ebay, so that isn't new to me, but I've never done either with a vehicle.....just seemed too complicated with payment, titles and shipping to deal with.

1. Payment..... On a big ticket item like this (bike) I would try to avoid pay pal. If they have an account with a big bank (BOA, Chase, etc.) that has a branch in your town, then I'd request a personal check from them. That way you just take it to his bank, they check to see if the funds are available and if they are, you get the cash right then and there. No waiting for checks to clear, no worries about counterfeit Money Orders and no pay pal hassles if he files a complaint! ;D

2. Title..... As long as you have one in your name, I don't see a problem here. Just sign it over and send it with the bike or send it separately once you have the cash in hand.

3. Shipping...... Refer them to Uship and wait for his shipper to pick up the stuff.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
the one i always get is a bloke on a oil rig that wants help with shipping+your credit card details
but there are many

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »
I'd consider posting on this site first if you haven't already tried.

I've had real good luck selling other model bikes on eBay (vintage Honda's and a Suzuki).  If you can get past the $125.00 fee (if it sells) plus the price of the listing, which is usually under $10, then you get a lot exposure.  I've listed four bikes over the past year and they all sold for more than I wanted which covered that "fee."  I always used a Reserve and started the auction off at a relatively low price.  My most recent sale had almost one thousand views and 150 watchers.  After the auction I had two messages from unsuccessful bidders wanting me to contact them if the sale fell through.  I would also write that "the bike is for sale locally so I reserve the right to end the auction early" in case it sells from another source.  EBay is on Pacific time so I always end my auction late enough (6 or 7 PM Pacific time) so that somewhat out in the west has time to get home and bid.  Bridgestones are popular outside the US so consider opening the bidding worldwide, but always include a note in the ad that shipping is the buyers responsibility but you will assist where you can.  Be sure to check out the fees before you post a listing because I believe they're graduated depending on the final sales price.  Bikes with a title do the best.  I always provide a written bill of sale too.

Good Luck.

paul25g

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »
Thanks CL...

I have posted it here, but no luck yet.  As far as Ebay, I assume the best is to accept payment as Paypal only?  Does this pretty well eliminate the possibility of getting scammed?  Then how does it work with the title?  Send it with the shipping company?

Thanks for your input on this!

Paul

Offline CL-100

• CL-100
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
I would not accept Paypal for full payment as they keep 2.9% and 30 cents per transaction.  When you set up your ad, EBay has a lot of default settings for payment, one of which is to get a deposit for the purchase using Paypal.  Their default setting is $500.  I always change that to $250 so that their cut is less.  Someone who's willing to put up that much cash for a deposit is going to follow through with the purchase.  Almost all items include the Buyer Protection Plan from EBay so your buyer is protected from fraud also as long as the transaction is conducted through EBay.  As far as the remaining payment to you, when you set up the ad, be sure to say that the remaining balance of the payment is payable by cash, cashier's check or money order.  I believe those are also default settings when you set up your ad.  I prefer USPS (Post Office) money orders.  Normally, the buyer is going to go to the Post Office anyway to Priority Mail the balance to you so it's convenient for them too.  By now you should have all your funds and the bike is still in your possession.  As far as the title goes, I sign it over on the back and I provide a written Bill of Sale.  You can find a bill of sale template on the internet.  Just print one out and use it.  Depending on the state you live in, you may have to have your signature notarized when you sign over the title.  I do this at my local bank.  I usually contact the buyer after I receive all the funds and ask them if they want me to give the paperwork and keys to the shipper or mail the items directly to them.  If you mail them, use Priority Mail.  By now you should have heard from the buyer's shipper.  They should come right to your door and pick up the bike.  I always take a lot of pictures of the loading process and email them to the buyer.  This way the buyer can see the condition of the bike as it's being loaded.  If it arrives at the destination with damage, then it proves that it wasn't damaged when the shipper took possession from you.  Hope it goes well for you. 

paul25g

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
Thanks a ton for the input CL....this is great info!

paul25g

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
Alrighty CL...I've got it posted...scheduled to start at 6:15 tonight...we'll see what happens!  Thanks again for your help!

Offline CL-100

• CL-100
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »
Best of luck to you.  If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try and help.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
the bill  of sale and title  goes with the bike for a international sale you need the title to get it out of the country and into another .you can send a copy of the originals to the new owner any extra occurred cost i am sure the buyer would be happy to pay also if the bike goes to Australia it will have to be clean and drained of all fluids   

paul25g

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!  Its got a couple bids and a bunch of watchers so I'll keep my fingers crossed, thanks again!

paul25g

Free left-over BS 175 Stuff
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »
Just an update guys....the 175 did sell on Ebay.....going to Miami, Florida and from there to a museum in Guatemala.

The buyer didn't want the rolling frame that I had, so it is free to a good BS home.  It is a rolling frame with a locked up bottom end as well as a box of various 175 bits and pieces.  I won't separate the stuff and I won't ship it, but it's free to whoever would like to come pick it up...I'm in western Ohio....just shoot me a message if interested and thanks!

Gallery

Views:1837
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2926
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3287
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:3325
Comments (0)