Author Topic: Some GTO questions from a new owner  (Read 5347 times)

diamondj

• Trade Count: (0)
Some GTO questions from a new owner
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
All,

Just picked up a pretty rough 1970 350 GTO as a project bike. Still trying to decide if there's enough to save or not. In the mean time I have some questions:

1. Is the number on the VIN data tag on the right side of the frame supposed to match the number stamped into the steering head frame tube? Mine don't and I'm wondering if this is cause for concern or normal for a Bridgestone.

2. What colors were available for the 1970 model year? Mine had been repainted black and I can't find a trace of the original paint. I know gold was one color and it looks like white was another.

3. Can anyone post some clear pictures of how the battery box was welded to the frame? A previous owner decided to "cafe" the bike and cut out the battery box along with one of the foot-peg mounts. The foot-peg mount doesn't seem to be in my box of parts so I guess I will replicate it with some thick wall steel tube. The frame where the battery box was mounted was ground down to the tube so I'm not sure how the box should be spaced in the frame.

That's all for now but I'm sure I'll have more dumb questions as I dig into the mess someone made of this poor motorcycle.

Thanks in advance!

Jim     

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Some GTO questions from a new owner
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »
I'll try and get you a picture of the battery box tomorrow, if I don't make it by then it will be next week cause I'm going to Baxter's Rally this weekend, but I will get you a picture.

The VIN plate does not match the number stamped on the steering head. The number stamped on the steering head was used in Japan but the VIN tag was placed there by Rockford Motors (when it got imported to the States) and that was the number used on the MSO. I have no idea why Rockford didn't just simply use the number stamped on the frame, maybe someone else knows and can help us out.

I've seen both the Gold and White GTOs and I think I have seen a green??? Maybe a GTO expert can help us here..... GTRs seem to have been mostly Red.

Tomo
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

diamondj

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »
Hey Tomo,

Thanks for the info. No rush on the battery box picture. This is going to be a long term restoration.

Jim

Offline bsforever

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
A final note: As the machines left the factory, the Identification Numbers with the Vehicle Serial, Frame and Engine numbers were unlikely to be the same on an indivudal bike, but were always within 200 or 300 of each other. Any machine with numbers furth er apart than this has probably had an engine or frame change during its lifetime (apart from the early 200cc machines mentioned previously built with the late 175 frame numbers).  SOURCE: http://bridgestone.skew.org/serial_numbers.html ........... Hope this helps to answer a little more about the numbers.

diamondj

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »
Thanks bsforever! I checked the numbers and they seem pretty close together - 8487 on the tag, 8565 on the frame, and 8757 on the crankcase. It's a shame this 350 has had such a rough life - if the odometer on the loose speedo that came with it is to be believed, it only has 2,694 miles on it:

I do have yet another question. On the right side of the frame in front of the foot-peg mount, there's an indentation on the top of that lower frame tube almost like someone hit it repeatedly with a pick type body hammer. Is that there for a reason or is my frame damaged?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 04:21:32 AM »
g day from oz there should be a flowing divot(not bashed looking)i think for clearance for the crankcase cover even though my cover did not clear i had to jack up the motor to remove it .  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:33:31 PM by coxy »

whitegto

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:01:30 AM »
1970 GTOs were gold and chrome and 71 were pearl white with black stripes, no chrome on the tank.   John

diamondj

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
g day from oz there should be a flowing divot(not bashed looking) for clearance for the crankcase cover even though my cover did not clear i had to jack up the motor to remove it .

Coxy,

Your description is better than mine and it sounds like this divot is supposed to be there. If I can get home while the sun is still out, I'll get a picture of it.

Thanks,

Jim

diamondj

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:48:05 AM »
1970 GTOs were gold and chrome and 71 were pearl white with black stripes, no chrome on the tank.   John

Thanks John,

Sounds like mine should be gold based on the year. I'll have to strip off the black paint and see if there are traces of plating underneath.

Jim

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »
Hi,

Don't get confused if you find traces of red paint on the tank once you've stripped off the black coat. 1967-70 GTRs were red and chrome. and the GTR and GTO used the same tank (but a different petcock to clear the high pipes). The 1971 model GTR tanks had a different shade of Gold with Black stripes. As your bike is a basket case, it's possible you've ended up with a tank from a GTR.

No GTO was left the factory in Red and Chrome or Gold with Black stripes, though. The only standard colours were Gold and chrome (1970) or Pearl White with stripes (1971) as already mentioned.

Graham Weeks

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 12:19:55 PM »
I have a complete unmodified GTO frame, a bit rusty, but usable, if you're interested.  It would cost quite a bit to ship, but I may be able to get it to NYC in early/mid October for free if you want to wait that long.  The number of the frame is earlier, 6826, so it wouldn't fit your S/N's  very well if that matters to you.  There wasn't enough of the rest of the bike left to salvage.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

diamondj

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »
Hey Karl,

I am interested. I have to see how difficult mine will be to repair. I could meet you in NYC. Have you ever been to Matchless:

http://www.barmatchless.com/about.html

I'll pm contact info and you can let me know the particulars closer to October.

Thanks!

Jim

Gallery

Views:3466
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4647
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:4918
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson