Author Topic: Radio Shack Rectifier Wiring Help Needed  (Read 11576 times)

Steve S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Radio Shack Rectifier Wiring Help Needed
« on: June 16, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
 I made one of these up for my GTR using these plans previously posted on this site from another member.  According to this illustration, the three yellow leads should be hooked up to the white Dynamo wire, if I am reading this correctly.  According to the Bridgestone wiring diagram the white wire from the Dynamo (which I only have one white wire from the Dynamo) goes to the white wire of one of the coils.  
Do the three yellow wires from this solid state rectifier also go to that white wire?   I'm confused, and can really use some assistance.  Thanks.
Steve S.  

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:05:43 PM by Steve S. »

Bikenstein

Re: Radio Shack Rectifier Wiring Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
Check with Scrambler he did the diagram. Those three wires do not connect to the white wire going to the coil, they are in the charging circuit and one I believe is also for extra power to the headlight to keep from drawing the battery down. I think it goes this way but not sure, had a few cokes today- one connects to the yellow wire, one to the blue/green wire and the other to the white wire going to the switch (?)  which I believe also connects it back to the third coil on the stator via a brown wire. Gotta get another coke, thirsty ;D   BSOrion can help you, he knows about these 3-phase generators. Also Karl Swartout
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:31:31 PM by Bikenstein »

scrambler

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
I didn't draw up the diagram but I have used it on various bikes, not on a BS350 though. Looking at the wiring diagram I agree with Bikenstein as to the color and what wires need to hook up.

Bikenstein

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
 I can't tell about the setup of the diodes but it looks like it should work. And with the silicon rectifiers you will get higher output.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:35:32 PM »
I agree with Bikenstein's description above - connect those three diode wires to the yellow, blue/green and white from the switch.  The individual black and white wires from the dynamo are the point leads and go to the coils, the black/white wire from the dynamo is actually the ground side of the three windings and goes to the battery neg./ground.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Steve S.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.  I will take another look at it tomorrow.  With your help I now have a better understanding of the hook-ups. 
Are the three wires from the rectifier just a random hook-up to the 3 different colored wires in the harness, or do they need to be specific?

Steve S.

Bikenstein

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »
Don't think it matters Steve, each wire just carries a current through it's diode one way to the battery, so all three end up at the same place and the headlight don't care what wire it gets it's extra boost from. Hope you get it workin.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:31:05 PM by Bikenstein »

jhlangtry

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
Going from the original set-up, this looks wrong.  The generator delivers three-phase AC through the three different coloured wires from the stator, which share a common earth (from memory, a black wire with white stripes).  You need three rectifiers, not two, to deliver the full output.  The negative DC output from each rectifier (black wire) is also earthed, while the positive DC output from each is connected to the battery, via the key switch.  When the switch is in normal mode, two of the rectified phases go through to the battery, and when it is in the lighting mode, all three rectified phases go to the battery.

JL

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
Here's the 175 hookup from the tech manual.  The three phases share a common center connection which is not grounded.  Only three pairs of diodes (6 total) are required to fully rectify the three phases.  The schematic shown in Steve S.'s post looks correct.  Note that one of the three phases is switched by the ignition.  It's only connected when the lights are on to more evenly charge the battery.   

Bikenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
You have 8 diodes with the two new rectifiers (4 each) so it makes it possible to hook up all three phases  and jump the two rectifiers together, that's why one connection is not used.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:17:42 PM by Bikenstein »

Steve S.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 03:43:59 PM »
Incredible information. One more question,  Do I still use the voltage regulator with this new set-up, and do I just wire it up like it shows in the Bridgestone wiring diagram??
Thanks to all again!  I really do appreciate it.  Now I just have to find some time over the next few days to make the connections.

Steve S.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:49:39 PM by Steve S. »

Bikenstein

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:42:51 PM »
Yeah Steve, wire it in the same way as normal, it will prevent overcharging the battery. And be careful not to run the bike with the rectifier disconnected or you will damage the generator (dynamo to some people) ;D Good luck, hope it works

Steve S.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
Beautiful.  Thanks again.

Steve S.

Steve S.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
Here are some quick photos of the "Radio Shack" rectifier I made.  Thanks.

jhlangtry

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
What's missing from the diagram is the common earth on the three generator coils.  Have a look at your generator.  I think you'll find a black and white striped wire that goes to earth.  As to the third switched coil for lighting, you are right that the switching (throught the ignition key switch) takes place between the coil and the rectifier.  As to the diode set-up, if you want full-wave DC rectification, you need four diodes per coil circuit (i.e. three bridge rectifiers) - attached circuit diagram.

Regards

JL

Bikenstein

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
What's missing from the diagram is the common earth on the three generator coils....  As to the diode set-up, if you want full-wave DC rectification, you need four diodes per coil circuit

The black/white wire is not the ground for the rectifier. It connects from the generator straight to the battery. A solid black wire from the rectifier goes to ground. The wiring diagram on page 58 of the service manual shows how full wave rectification for all three coils can be achieved by using six diodes because each coil is wired to use all six diodes (when in the light position; two coils use four shared diodes in the normal key position), not just two, because they share a common ground. You are right in sayin that a single coil circuit would require a minimum of 4 diodes for full wave, but this configuration is allowing the coils to use each others diodes so to speak. Hope it works ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:06:29 PM by Bikenstein »

reed

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »
I have found a Polaris reg rectifier that might work on the Bridgestone and i will test it and post  a picture.
At the weekend.
Thanks.
Steve.

Gallery

Views:2551
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:3686
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:3997
Comments (0)