Author Topic: 350 gtr intial start up  (Read 1628 times)

Offline disc valve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
350 gtr intial start up
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
Hi all.had it briefly running on brake cleaner but carbs wont pull fuel through to keep it running.seems to be blowing rather than sucking.had crank partly rebuilt is it possible to refit the pins and hence rotor drive cog 180 degrees out.tried one side 180 round but doesnt seem to suck any better.carbs sonic cleaned all clear.appreciate any help.cheers

Offline bsforever

Re: 350 gtr intial start up
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 11:06:21 PM »
Just read your post, and i also had a blowing problem (out of the carbs) when i first started and ran my 350. never putting it in gear ...just ran the engine. When finally i wanted to test ride it and put it in gear , it ran backwards, turns out, due to my carelessness and enthusiasm, i did not have the timing correct off of the crank gear and the big timing gear that is rides on. Maybe yours is not as 'off' on the gears as mine was, but it was off quite a few cogs on mine. I can only suggest a guess as to the way mine was when first getting"things in order" well, good luck hope you get it going :-)  bsforever

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:03:55 AM »
    Check your disc valves are correctly installed. They can go in 180 degs out.
  Easily done, the valve should be open, when viewed through the carb with the relevant piston at top centre.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline disc valve

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »
Many thanks for your replies.start up delayed as i thought id siezed tbe crank running it up on easy start necessitating a strip down.found a washer jammed between crank and cases.god knows where it came from.
Struggling with ign timing.getting both cyl to 3.3mm before tbc isnt easy.moving points plate and then individual points gap challenging.nearly ready to try starting again happier that everythings correct.paranoid about keeping crank lubed .next hurdle will getting oil pump to work.cant remove it without oil running out.let you know the outcome

Offline disc valve

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 06:12:07 AM »
Its a miracle both sides within 0.1 mm of 3.5mm.how long it will stay in tune is another question.is it ok to mix up the left and right oil feed pipes from the pump.the 2 outer bearings have an oil feed pipe to them how does the centre bearings get lubed.cheers

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 07:23:57 AM »
  Once the engine is correctly timed with all the gear dots lined up during assembly, it will stay in tune. Only wear on the points heel or the points themselves can change the timing.
   The manual does say the inner tube on the pump goes to the right check valve, outer to left, but it is not critical. The pump is not timed to the engine.
   The inner bearings are lubed by the oil in the fuel mixture, there are also oil collector 'wells' cast into to lower crankcase which encourage oil to drain down onto the centre bearings. It works.
   Use 20/1 premix fuel on first start up. it will smoke a bit. You usually end up with small air bubbles in the oil supply tubes when first rebuilt. Once engine is running you should see the air bubbles alternatively kick forward about 1/4'' as the pump operates. This tells you the pump is working correctly and you can safely omit the premix.
  Good luck.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline disc valve

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
Yes got her running today on premix.started on easy start then kept it running by choking one carb with my hand.filled garage with smoke so crank getting some oil.havnt proved pump yet as the oil pipes have become opaque.so oil pump (fitted a rebuild kit)then clutch to sort/check.when i come up against another problem will post although im sure its all been covered before.thanks for your help with my journey

Gallery

Views:220
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)