Author Topic: Selling a DT 175 and have questions  (Read 3404 times)

Offline edward

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
Selling a DT 175 and have questions
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:18:56 AM »
       I'm thinking abour selling my DT 175 but I have never sold a motorcyle before. I have lots of questions and need advice. Has anyone had any experiences with it and what should I look out for? What does it cost to ship a motorcycle and quite a few extrat parts? Should I only sell it locally here in North Texas?
       Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: Selling a DT 175 and have questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »
It's been a while since I sold any vehicle, but one of the first rules these days is do not sell something that requires you to accept payment for more than the item, then refund the overage once you have determined the shipping costs.  That always ends badly. No Western Union funds transfers, either.  Check Craig's List recommendations on preventing scams.

Someone else can chime in with shipping recommendations, there is plenty of experience  here.

A good set of photos helps, too, especially if it is in very good condition - you want to show that to a potential buyer.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »
Good advice Karl.

It's always tough to sell big ticket items that will place a hefty shipping burden on the buyer. They will usually try to use that in the negotiations to reduce the price of your item, unless the item is so desirable that shipping is a non-issue to them.

For that reason, I'd start with Craigslist first and go for the local market where shipping wouldn't matter. Like Karl said, just beware of scammers.

As far as shipping goes, you could offer to deliver it free within a certain radius  (25 -50 miles) or maybe offer to split the cost for up to 100 miles. Anything over the distance that you're willing to work with, I'd just give them info on uShip and tell them you're willing to assist whoever they choose.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline hardy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 08:45:08 PM »
My rule of thumb is if someone isn't willing to view the bike in person,
Or at least telephone you talk and discuss, then it's not worth your time.

For a local buyer, test rides require full payment in cash or the car keys in which they arrived in AND a valid drivers license.

I've heard a lot of horror stories for test rides ending badly and the buyer dumping and running away.

Ryan

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
I've heard a lot of horror stories for test rides ending badly and the buyer dumping and running away.

Ryan
I lived in Germany for 3 years back in the 80's. I had a BMW that I sold when we moved back to the USA. The first potential buyer low-sided it off a curve about a mile away, broke the fairing and scratched up my helmet he had borrowed.  Luckily, he came back, paid for a new helmet and the fairing repair.  He didn't buy the bike, but I did later sell it after I repaired it.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »
Also, it's very important to be prepared for any questions that might arise....
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline hardy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 05:18:39 PM »
Haha!

To be honest, you get that regularly when using online advertising. Or the scam as mentioned above where they "said" they paid extra money into a western union and would like a refund ::)

Offline edward

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 04:00:07 AM »
     Thanks for all of the replies! That's what I love about this group. Great members and fast honest replies.

EddieMello

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 10:37:20 PM »
I saw a bike for sale while tooling down the road. I had always wanted this particular year and model so I stopped. I knew my wife would never approve of another bike without my selling one first but this one was priced right and barely broke in. I rode down the highway a few miles then went to turn around and dumped it on the shoulder. Upon my return I knew I had just bought it since I wrecked it but I told him "This bike has been wrecked, you need to come down on the price and I'll buy it." After explaining my accident, he did agree to a reduced price. I then explained the situation I put myself in to my wife and that I had no choice but to buy it now. She agreed and drove me back to get the bike. Other than a bent shift lever and a scratch on the mirror... I love that motorcycle to this day and ride it as often as possible. ...2007 V-Rod Night Rod.

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)