Author Topic: GTR completed restoration  (Read 5994 times)

Colin

• Trade Count: (0)
GTR completed restoration
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Hi Guys,
At last after nearly 18 months I have completed the restoration of my GTR.
This has been a tough one because I started with something fit for scrap but it's done now.
It's still needing a few small jobs doing before I see that blue haze but I'm hoping by this time next week I can test ride it.
So I would like to thank the guys on here who have supplied me with parts I could not find locally in Scotland or the UK, hmm that's probably everything now that I think about it.  ::)
I'd also like to thank the ones who have answered my help posts in these forums but mostly I'd like to thank Ziggy for answering all my stupid emails with sensible answers.
Hmm should I go on about world peace and stuff now  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Colin
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:23:19 PM by Colin »

ziggy stardust

Re: GTR completed restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
That's beautiful Colin and well worth the wait, it's also a bl##dy better photograph than the one you sent me. Well done.

Z

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »
Congrst Colin! It really looks terrific!
And yes, I would like to hear your views on world peace (and stuff) ;D ::) ;D
...bert

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »
Nice... can't wait to get to this point with my GTO!

btw: it's neat to see the wiring strap being used for the front brake switch wiring.  8)
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline rwgibbon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • 1968 BS 350 GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
Very nice!

Colin

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:14:07 PM »
Yup 3 straps on it moonpup, 2 under the tank and that one you noticed on the bars as per the thread you started a while back, I was tempted to use one on the rear brake light wiring but fought the urge for originality's sake
Do you recognise the restored gas tap ?? thanks again for that.
Colin.

reed

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:43 PM »
Colin,
Nice job on your GTR 350 we need a picture outside Urquhart Castle.
Thanks.
Steve.

Harry

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »
FANTASTIC job!!!  I love the before and after pictures.  Wish mine looked that great.  Will it be a regular rider or just for show?  Harry

Colin

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 03:53:38 PM »
It's for the road Harry, but there is a small motorcycle show 25 miles from me held once a year and I might put it in next March because it will be the only one most guys will ever get a chance to look at here in Scotland , but that's a good thing being the only one about nothing for anybody to compare with  ;D
Bridgestone GTR's are very rare in the UK and probably a lot more so here in Scotland, I might be one of 2 and I know for a fact mine looks better than the other because I nearly bought the other off the guy too  ;)
As you may have noticed it has a more modern pair of Avon tires on too which will help massively with grip on the bends and on the brakes.
Been working on it most of the day and sorted out that low looking seat strap plus a few other niggles and also gave it a proper clean as it was all covered in dust in that photo above, hoping to run it this weekend so will post a better photo of it then , hopefully  ::)
Colin.

Harry

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »
Thanks for the post, Colin.  Good luck with the show.  I wish I had someone close to me with a 350 GTR so we could compare notes on the restoration.  I live in NE Pennsylvania.  Anyone out there close to me? Harry

ziggy stardust

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 05:06:29 AM »
Harry, it's not a problem not having someone living close to talk to and compare bikes, this is what this site is all about. Owner's willing to discuss issues where ever they reside and there's more than enough photos in the gallery to help with most GTR restoration problems.

Bridgestones are so rare what's the chance of your neighbour owning one, I live on a small but over populated island (U.K.) and the nearest GTR owner is about 200 miles away as far as I'm aware. ;)

Colin has done a great job on his GTR restoration without ever seeing one fully restored in the metal.

Z

Harry

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 03:00:34 PM »
I know what your saying, Z.  This group of "Stoners" has been a great help to me and the restor. of my 67 GTR.  I've had mine since 1972 when I bought in with engine froze but otherwise all there.  Some marvel mystery oil and some soaking and the pistons came free.  Rode it for several years before storing it for the later rebuild.  Can't wait for warmer weather again.  Battery charged and ready to go.  Harry

Gallery

Views:4987
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6189
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6494
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6529
Comments (0)