Author Topic: 350 GTR Carburetor Issues......... Again!  (Read 19679 times)

Steve S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 350 GTR Carburetor Issues......... Again!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »
Check the float levels and lower them if they're not already lower than spec.  Mine would dribble gas when parked on the sidestand. I bought new float valve sets from Richard and the problem remained. I finally dropped the level about a mm and the problem went away.  I went through the same process as you, checking and double checking the floats for leaks, etc.

When you say lower the float levels, what exactly do you mean?  Are you referring to the height I set the floats at (15/16") or lower the fuel in the bowls by 1mm?
Thanks for the help.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »
i still theink andersons idea of sending the carbs  to steve reed is the best idea  Jeff bar

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
Lower the fuel in the bowl, which means to increase the setting height, which lowers them when the carbs are upright.   ???  Sorry for the confusion. I should have explained that more thoroughly.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Steve S.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
Lower the fuel in the bowl, which means to increase the setting height, which lowers them when the carbs are upright.   ???  Sorry for the confusion. I should have explained that more thoroughly.

Gotcha!  Thanks.  I will give it a try.  Much appreciated!

Steve S.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 09:00:03 PM »

I think I have my carburetor issues sorted out.  I changed over the float bowls and floats from a very nice used set of carbs I recently acquired.  Unfortunately it still leaked.  So then I changed over the needle valve and seat, and that stopped it!  The used needle valve and seat was in really pristine condition, as were the carbs, just needed a good cleaning.  So it looks like the NOS set of needle valves and seats I bought may have been bad.
I would have never thought the NOS set would be bad, but it looks like they were.  I have my fingers crossed that these changes will keep the leaking issues at bay.
Thanks for every ones suggestions.  I appreciated them all!

Steve

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »
Glad to hear you've won the battle. (Fingers crossed.) I'm just reassembling my carbs after they made a trip to visit Mr. Reed for cleaning. Hopefully, when I get to the motor running part, I won't fall into this situation.
...bert

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 02:32:51 PM »
did you look at the needle and seat + float tang for difference in size ? I will pull apart some of my carbs on the weekend and try to post a pic its really quite visible  
once you know about it
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:35:48 PM by coxy »

Steve S.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
Glad to hear you've won the battle. (Fingers crossed.) I'm just reassembling my carbs after they made a trip to visit Mr. Reed for cleaning. Hopefully, when I get to the motor running part, I won't fall into this situation.
...bert

Thanks.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you too!

Steve S.

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
did you look at the needle and seat + float tang for difference in size ? I will pull apart some of my carbs on the weekend and try to post a pic its really quite visible  
once you know about it

I really didn't notice any differences.  I am looking forward to the pictures you post to see exactly what the differences are.
Thanks.

Colin

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »
Hi Steve,
I sent you a new pm, not sure if it's sent or not because it's not showing up in my messages sent, I found those carbs and got a price for postage for you, let me know if you have not received my pm.
Regards Colin.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »
looks like I have miss placed the nos floats in the move of house  maybe toystoretom can help out here

Steve S.

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »
Quick update.  Went to go for a ride today and the left carb was leaking yet again!
So much for having the issue resolved.................to be continued.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »
This may seem obvious, but is the float bowl seating properly on the gasket, warped? Is the gasket compromised? Is are either of the gasket surfaces damaged? Have you tried using 2 gaskets and torquing the daylights out of the screws? Is there a crack in the carb body? Is the fuel inlet nipple tightly seated? Does this only occur with the fuel tap opened? Is there a pin hole in the line? Is the breather pipe tightly seated? Going to the outer limits here.
 ???
...bert

Steve S.

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »
Bert,
The carb is leaking from/through the overflow pipe, not around the bowl.  Everything has been checked and re-checked about 15 times.  I suspect the needle valve and seat is still not shutting off the fuel supply for some reason.  The seat and valve have been replaced with an NOS and a used like new set.  Still leaks.  Float has been set to proper specs.  Floats do not leak.
Carb float gaskets, fuel line, and just about everything else is new.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I do appreciate it.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »
My suggestion is same as months ago send your carbs to reed as he does the best work and knows what he is doing  Jeff bar

Steve S.

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »
Hi Jeff, I hear ya.  I thought I could figure this out on my own, but it's looking like I may not be able to.  At this point it's personal.  I really thought the issue was resolved this last time I had it apart.  The right side seems to be fixed, and hasn't leaked since I changed out the NOS Needle and seat.  The left side continues to give me problems.
The sad part is the riding season here is half over and I haven't been able to get one ride in on this beautiful bike!
Thanks.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
I am repeating myself, but it looks awesome. I love the gold.
 ;D
...bert

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 03:23:45 PM »
in one of my carbs there have been holes drilled and enlarged brass bushes inserted into mounts for the float pin .maybe there is a bit of wear in this area causing floats to move around slightly just a thought

Colin

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 03:38:11 PM »
Yeah I love it too, it's surprising the GTR wasn't an option in the GTO gold, what were the boffins @ Bridgestone thinking  ::)
My offer still stands on the carbs, I'm on holiday but will be home by Tuesday, so if you have had a change of mind drop me a pm
You have looked to see if there is some waxing in the needle seat ?? I know it's unlikely but it would stop the needle re-seating properly, oh and have you tried switching the carbs round just out of curiousity I'd have to do it.
Regards Colin

ziggy stardust

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »
Beautiful bike, Steve has set a standard for us restorers.

Regarding the carb issues, I had similar problems and no matter what I did I struggled to stop them leaking then suddenly one was fixed although I did nothing new that I hadn't already tried, after a bit more tweaking the other carb stopped leaking but then I had a problem with one cylinder running hotter than the other.

Z

Gallery

Views:4657
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5841
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6099
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6099