Forum > Serial number ID guide

Serial number ID guide by Graham Weeks

<< < (2/16) > >>

rocketman:
Ole Smokey,I'd need to look into it to be exact,but the 21 designates 350 GTO and GTR,I'm pretty sure. I think you need to give me the letter to derive the year/month. It gets a bit goofy. I'll look at it after dinner.  Thanks,Mark.

old smokey:
Mark, I had looked enough to see that my 21S021xx claims that it should be a July '67 bike, but the title is for a '69. However the 21xx sequence number also seems to point to a '67 bike.
Guess it sat unwanted for 2 years!
I could start a post to see who has the lowest # vin for a GTR.

rocketman:
Now I see,Smokey. The date code along with the # series looks that way. With shipping delays from Japan,coupled with rockfords distribution woes its possible this bike didnt make a dealer till sometime in '68 anyway. New vehicles are titled here for the upcoming year starting in July sometimes. So lets say it reached the dealer Feb/March of '68 than sat till july or aug. then titled for the upcoming year,your there. It might not have sat as long as you think. Heres something else to consider,if you are not the original owner and the bike had to be re-titled at some point,info was real vague on all this for a long time. So without the later '70 numbers system,no exact year was affixed and most people,even title agency's,etc.would have a nearly imposible task of figuring it out. So you pick a year and process the vin and keep rolling! Compiling vins is a good way to go,but not too many people care to share thier complete numbers. I've studied on this quite a bit and just when you think your getting a grip on it... Hope some other guys are forthcoming.  Mark.

old smokey:
Comparing the numbers between the headstock and engine on my GTR shows a difference of 92. The serial number on the riveted tag falls between those two.
So Graham's guidance seems very accurate and most likely my engine and frame are the same pairing that left the factory.
But I realized that before I got the bike someone at the DMV transposed the serial number.
The paperwork says 21S021xx , but it is really 21S012xx
Don't look for me at the DMV trying to get that changed!
Very definitely a 67 model that was titled as a '69.

deisher6:
My 350 GTO 21W069XX is titled as a 1970.  The serial number would indicate a 1968-69 manufacture.  It also has the stamp on the front steering tube.  So it all fits.
regards charlie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version