Author Topic: DIY Expansion chambers  (Read 9996 times)

Pinche

• Trade Count: (0)
DIY Expansion chambers
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »
   I was originally going to build some chambers for my GT550 but decided I would try and build just one first. I'm going to be picking up a TMX soon and I'd make a chamber to start out on. The specs can be found on here in the "Tuning Up For Competition" booklet but I had a hard time reading the microscopic font once I printed out the booklet and used a diagram from a two stroke manual I have which has all the same information from the booklet.
   So at first I tried doing it the hard way and bust out some rulers, a compass, and a calculator and some aspirin. After making a few cones they didn't match up to each other so I knew there had to be an easier way. With a quick look around online, I found a nice free program called "Cone Layout V2.0.5" but there's a lot of other programs that you can use. I just used this one because it was the first one that came up and it was incredibly easier to use.
   Just enter the diameters and lengths of each cone and then you can print out a template to transfer to your sheet metal. I used 22 gauge mild steel as the next sizes they had were 26 gauge which feel like a soda can and then 16 gauge which would of been a nightmare to cut and bend without a grinder/jigsaw/etc. The 22 gauge you can cut with a pair of tin snips without too much hassle as the curves aren't that severe.
   I made a cardboard chamber first and it went together perfectly so my sheet metal shouldn't issue me any problems. The steel ran me $10 at Home Depot and took me roughly an hour to print out the cones, cut and trace them onto the sheet metal. Give me a day or two to weld them up and I'll have pictures up.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: DIY Expansion chambers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »
Sounds like a neat project, yes, please post some photos.

Jeff Bar

Pinche

Re: DIY Expansion chambers
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
Sorry I didn't take too many pictures but once my fabbing mojo juices gets flowing I loose all track of what I'm doing.

1. First take the templates you either made from your awesome cone making mathmatical skills or from the cone making program like I did. lol.

2.You don't have to do this but I then copied mine over to stiffer construction paper as it was just easier to trace my lines onto my 1'x2' 22 gauge sheetmetal. I decided to tape up the cones just to see how they fit and looked.

3.Grab some tin snips and start snipping. Make sure the nut/bolt holding your snips together is tight otherwise it's leaves edges that look like shark teeth and could second as a saw blade. Once it was tight, it cut like a sharp knife through flesh. I still had quite abit left over after cutting my shapes out but not enough to just buy a 1'x1' sheet.
No picture cause I was in a sheet metal cutting frenzy but here's my son Zeke, best Arthur Fonzarelli's "Aaayeee" pose.

4. Next come the fun part...rolling the sheets into cones. The wider sections weren't bad but the last cone that the stinger pipe is attached to was a bear. If you have access to a sheet metal roller, by all means and go that route. I just took the personal approach and hand rolled it as now my chamber and I are closer then we were before. 
Yet again, no picture cause I was busy trying to bend sheet metal but it'll be something like this

5. Time to be a man and bust out your welder if you have one or go make friends with someone who has one and start laying down some nasty looking beads like I did. Man I love fluxcore! Then redeem your ugly welds and grind it smooth like a goat's butt then hit it with a wire wheel.

I didn't weld it completely shut because I still have to clean up the inside with a carbide bit and fill in some pin holes. Not to mention buy a section of 1" round tubing cause if you think rolling a cone was hard. Just imagine trying to roll the stinger pipe. I'll cheap out and drop the few bucks it'll run me and save some aspirin for another project.

I couldn't of done it without you "Tuning Up For Competition"!

I'm just going to use the stock pipe for the time being and make another cone to fit the header pipe to the chamber as the opening to the chamber is a bit larger. I could go and get the header pipe they show in the diagram but I dont' have a pipe bender or that strong to pipe with my bare hands.

I'll see how loud the chamber is by itself but if it's unbearable, I'll just pick up a silencer from JC whitney for $15 or a fancy carbon/kevlar Mfactorywest silencer for $100.   

I'll update as I get more completed on it and once I get my TMX on the 19th.

Gallery

Views:985
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2101
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:2443
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:2491
Comments (0)