Author Topic: How Many Running GTRs/GTOs are there today?  (Read 16616 times)

Sno Jet

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How Many Running GTRs/GTOs are there today?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 07:11:21 AM »
WARNING/DISCLAIMER: The following post contains adult content.  Not suitable for emotionally weak individuals, pregnant women, children or resellers.    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: The inhalation of exhaust fumes By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight.
Two stroke Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide.  Parental discretion advised.

In the beginning, there was a great company with a mission to make motorcycles.  The company was called BRIDGESTONE.  The world was given an initial offering of roughly 9 thousand GTR's and 2 thousand GTO's.  They were one of the beauty queens of the industry.  Young men with bad thoughts and intentions would "lust" after them in the showrooms and magazines.  The bikes had all the attention that the world had to offer and were adorned.  The future was surely "theirs".

At about 5 thousand miles +-  and a variety of years later, they began to be non runners for many different reasons.  They began to loose their "looks".  Some had been "ridden hard" while others were put away "wet".  To make matters worse, even their maker, chose to abandoned them........ A sinister grin began to emerge from the face of the other larger motorcycle makers.  Something bad, terribly bad was occurring to BRIDGESTONE.

They became used bikes that no one wanted any longer, replaced by the latest new models in fashion.   The 350's now lived in shame, having given up their fame and promise to flashy, bright colored, plastic offerings from the big 3 .

Sadly, thousands of 350's were dragged away from their warm and comfy homes and  loaded into trucks and trailers like cattle and brought to the "crusher".  They were then thrown into a fiery molten lava.  Never to be reunited with their original owners again!!!!  How could this happen?

Now, 40+ years later,  survivors are surfacing.  Unsure of what they will find when they see the light of day, they are being met with new love and deep appreciation.  The new owners are of a different breed with unquestionable dedication.  A time to rejoice!   Saved from extinction!!!   How many left you ask?  We may never know in our life times of an exact number.

Although the future looks bright, these survivors still endure guilt and must live with questions.  Why was I saved when so many others perished and will my original maker recognize and acknowledge my existence?  

What better ending to this story than if the motorcycle was to regain the support of BRIDGESTONE.  We shall have to wait and see as the next chapter awaits to be written.

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »
So you're saying that... well, um, er.....Geeze, I just wanted a guess  :o
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

rocketman

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
 Sno... I just have one question...."When does the movie come out?"  (We can all be extras).  Mark.

Sno Jet

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »
I was thinking about Steve Reed being the leading man.  Americam women love the accent.  I need to get him under contract first before I disclose any more of the story line.

Funny stuff aside, I know Steve has asked Bridgestone at least once to consider making repro tires for their bikes.  This would be a great opportunity for publicity for them.  Some one just needs to sell it to the right person.

It's not like it would be a loss for them as they could use some of it as a write off.    I think it would be a great opportunity for them.  Can you imagine a new Bridgestone tire commercial where they show a  blip of a Bridgestone motorcycle driving down the road or on a track.

Bikenstein

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
So ur sayin the average miles put on em was only 5000? Is that a fact or just an off handed remark?

Sno Jet

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
I don't know what the average is or was.  My personal observations of the 350's that I have bought or asked about have had under 6K.    I did see one last year on Craigslist that had high miles on it and someone remarked about it.  (Moonpup??)

I would be curious what others have seen for miles or have on there bikes.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
Sounds like a good number to me. Both the GTO's I picked up were pretty much right at that mark.  ;D
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Bikenstein

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
Mine didn't come with guages so I don't know, but the tires look original with fairly low miles.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 05:22:56 AM »
12k on mine, Bridgestone tyres fitted showing little wear so may have been replaced?

I'll be fitting a pair of Avons when ready.

Z

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
14k on my smoker

Offline farmerdl

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
here's the list of mileages along with the serial numbers on the gtrs parked in my barn. roughly half are parts bikes.
     21rOO395   7108
     21so2147   6505
     21u03349  44827
     21u03570  8578
     21u03761  20024
     21f06001   11071
     21o09663   7108
     21o09730   13538
     21g06756   8707
     21s00978   9708
the first bike i ever owned was gtr bought new in 1970 when i was 17. it was approaching 30000 when i traded it in on a t500 in the fall of 1973. the bike showing 44827 miles (that's not a typo) was running when i bought it in the mid 90s.

dl

Bikenstein

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »
Sorry Tom for gettin your thread off track, but it is interesting to hear these mileage readings and could in some way help determine how many are still runnin. or not.                                                  

I need parts Farmerdl! Damn 10? You bought your first old bike back?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:50:44 PM by Bikenstein »

Offline farmerdl

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 09:42:03 PM »
yes...10.  would have bought more when i could find them but my wife could not understand why i would need all of those extra parts!!!!!  Most were picked up before i knew there were other people out there interested in these old smokers and i figured i would eventually need those parts.  the plan is to come up with four good runners. a couple back to factory stock and a couple with mild modifications.  Never managed to find out what eventually happened to that first 350 though.

dl

Bikenstein

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »
My mistake. I didn't notice the period after 1973 and thought you were talkin about the same bike. Good luck and enjoy your projects. I guess if you use parts from all of them to get four goin, they all return to life in some way.

Sno Jet

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 06:20:23 AM »
Well we have learned a few things with this post.  The mileage averages are higher than some of us thought and there are potentially more 350's out there than we think.

Farmerdl has 10 himself.  Unless they are total basket cases, that's 10 more potential bikes that could be restored someday.  At the least, I am guessing he could get more than four out of the ten.

Bring on the crank rod sets!!!

Offline farmerdl

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
Yes we could get more than four out of the ten.  For sure six and probably seven.  The thing is I only have titles for four and so that is what we are shooting for.  We may at some  time do more, but for now that is the goal.  I recently retired (well semi) and the new shop should go up this summer.  Also have a complete H2 and enough parts for a second, but here again only one title.  The T500 in the shed will be a later project.  One of the reasons I bought as many as I did was back when we were into antique tractors we learned it was always cheaper to find another of the same model that for whatever reason was to far gone to restore but reasonably complete and cannibalize it for parts. Sorry, I get a little wordy at times.

dl

Sno Jet

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
You can get new title's from Title companies.  Cost's and waiting times vary so shop around.

Some states still issue new title's also.  You need to show a bill of sale.  An official may need to personally view the vin numbers

Many states do not even require a title for anything over 10 years old. 

The value on 350's are up so it is worth looking into.

Offline farmerdl

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »
In the past Ohio has been very touchy about transferring titles from the various title agencies. It seemed like you might as well have written "this is a stolen vehicle" on the paperwork.  I haven't tried it for a few years but that's the way it was. A few years ago I was going to buy a bare frame that had a title and build a bike up on that frame.  The seller went to get it ready to ship it to me and someone had taken it.  Scrap has gotten kinda valuable lately.

dl

reed

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
Harry,
How do i get a title in your State,  the title companies don't work in Virginia.
Thanks.
Steve.

Sno Jet

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
Steve,  I don't know for sure.  I am pretty confident that if the State was to issue a new title, they would have an DMV official physically inspect the vin on the frame. 

Titles have not been an issue for me because my State and I believe the surrounding states do not require one for anything 10 years old.

If you go on some of the larger motorcycle Forums, there are quite a few who have gone through Titling companies with success.  You have to pay though.

Gallery

Views:5158
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6748
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6807
Comments (0)