Author Topic: Coyote and a Bobcat  (Read 3799 times)

rocketman

• Trade Count: (0)
Coyote and a Bobcat
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
 Our resident Coyote which our county and DNR says does not exist here. I call it Hoppy or Wile E. even though my wife thinks its a female. Its lame due to an idiot neighbor trying to trap it after shooting and killing what was likely to have been its mate. It can be seen daily paling around with the horses or trying to hang out with my two Labs. It eats right along side and from the same dish as the cats unless there is more than one cat present. They gang up on it.  It also steals items from the neighborhood like my dogs Frisbee and the sunday newspaper, which it can then be seen playing with, and shreds the newspapers up like a puppy would do. We're a little apprehensive still about it more re: mating season etc when others may be attracted to the area if its a female. If its a male and trys to compete for a female it could be in serious trouble. Other Coyotes may find it "un-matable" due to its condition though, so an increasing population of coyotes may not end up being a concern, only time will tell. Rabies among wild animals is also something to think about, but since it can't catch anything of any size, that may or may not be relevent either. The other issue with it to me is the fact that winter is coming and with only one "shovel"I don't know how well it can dig in. I don't think the Bobcat will have any trouble though!  Mark.

rocketman

Re: Coyote and a Bobcat
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
3rd try. Mark. Click the picture and pan around.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:09:17 AM by rocketman »

Bikenstein

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
From my experiences with lame wild animals, I would do a mercy killing.

rocketman

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
Its a toss up Dave. If it gets across the neighbors sites again, that may indeed be what happens. Its been truckin around here for about a year now like this. The "officials" won't do anything about catching or relocating it etc because they would not be able to deny its existance otherwise. Mark.

Bikenstein

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
Let it be then, if it's been a year. It seems to have adapted to it's new life. I wish I still had my 75 hp Mustang skidsteer.

Offline edward

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »
Hey, I just caught a stray pup in my nieghborhood last month. It was a little rat terrior that was running wild all over the place. As soon as you'ld see it and make eyec ontact he'ld take off running. So, every evening for about 2 weeks I'ld go out to my garage and work on the bike but I'ld take with me 4 strips of cooked bacon (microwaved). That lil pup started sniffin around in about 10 min. I'ld throw him a small peice and he'ld take off running but come right back in a few and eat it. One night I was running late and he was there waiting for me. He finnally got comfortable enough that he would lay down and spread out in my garage while i was hammering away on the stuck pistons. Later on he started exploring around some boxes and got himself stuck in a back corner. I closed the garge door so he could'nt get out, I put on some thick leather gloves and pulled him out. He gave up instantly and after a few flea baths he's my new house dog. Curls up at my side and lets me know when it's bacon time.

PS: I would try it with a coyote.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:23:06 PM by edward »

rocketman

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »
Biken-Dave, I'm one for letting nature run its course here as long as theres no dramatic circumstances. The horses are Bavarian Workhorses but I'm sure hoppy would get along just fine with a mustang too. Thanks, Mark.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:50:54 PM by rocketman »

rocketman

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
Edward, be careful, he's obviously viscious with bacon on his mind! I'm not sure I'm quite ready to invite the coyote in just yet. Thanks, Mark.

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »
I'm a critter lover so I would probably help a brotha out. If he had a full belly he probably wouldn't bother a soul. Old Roy is a lot easier to catch than the neighbor's chickens  ;D ..... But that's just me.

I've got a Maine Coon thats close to his size but as goofy as those things are he would probably just jump on him all day long and torment the heck out of him. At least he wouldn't be tormenting me.....
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Gallery

Views:4687
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5876
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6150
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6157