Forum > Back to Basics

TOOLS

(1/6) > >>

reed:
TOOLS
Who makes the best tools is it Snap on Mac or Craftsman.
Let me know!
Thanks.
Reed.

Toystoretom:
I have quite a few Snap On tools and some MAC. To me it is the quality of the service that each gives. I don't have time to run to Sears to get stuff replaced so Craftsman is not one of my top choices. If you are not a pro and just need basic tools Craftsman would be fine. Snap On and MAC offer some very specific tools that most people just wouldn't need. I probably have somewhere between $25K to $30K tied up in my box that I have bought over 20 plus years. MAC almost went out of business until they were picked up by Stanley a few years back, their future is uncertain. Pro tools have become just stupid expensive and I sure would hate to be a kid starting out. I know the tool truck drivers are hurting in this economy,so if I were you I would buy from a guy who is well established and has a good chance of surviving. Lifetime guarantees are pretty worthless if there isn't a driver around to back it up.

Both MAC and Snap On have some nice stuff and both will get the job done. I guess it is like blondes or brunettes, it depends on what you like... :D 

Dave K:
I have used only Craftsman tools since I was old enough to hold a wrench. For me, they are available, where MAC and Snap-On really only cater to the professional shops. I have no idea where I can even buy Snap-On tools, unless I hang out at a professional garage. MAC tools are available at a car parts store. But Craftsman are now available not only at Sears but also Kmart and Ace hardware stores. In nearly 50yrs. of wrenching, I have yet to break a wrench, ratchet or socket. Screw drivers I have broke while using as pry bars or chisels. ;) I had heard this past week again, that MAC was going to close their doors. Don't know if it is true, but the story was the economy is hurting them badly.

Regardless, I can't say who makes the best tools. All I know, is that I have never broke a Craftsman and they are easy for me to buy more of them, as I have. Actually when I started to be a gear head, many" how to" articles, always referred to Craftsman tool number such and such as the tool to get you through your repair or build. I found that handy.

reed:
Dave k
I hope mac tools carry on i like there tools a lot i have there tool boxes in the workshop!
Thanks.
Reed.

steve phillips:
i have a mixture of them all , snap-on open end wrenchs so spread so  i like them the best . i retired as a harley mechanic of 22 years, was forced to retirement due to ms

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version