Author Topic: WHATS THE TEMPERATURE OF A AIR COOLED ENGINE.  (Read 3059 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
WHATS THE TEMPERATURE OF A AIR COOLED ENGINE.
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:57:56 PM »
Whats the temperature of a air cooled engine i was thinking about this the other day!
In the summer the air temperature around 85f and a air cooled engine running the
Temperature is between 190 and 250f.In the UK the air temperature gets to about 65
On a good day most of the time its about 55f.I wonder if Bridgestone were still going
They would have made a water cooled version of the GTR OR GTO.
My Porsche 911is air cooled on a hot day runs about 220f.
Just and idea.
Thanks.
Steve. 

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: WHATS THE TEMPERATURE OF A AIR COOLED ENGINE.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »
I had a Corvair 140 that would push past 300 F on a hot day, but it was designed to do so. I think it was pushing the limits of what you could do with an air cooled motor. It had a magnesium fan that forced air around the cylinders that were enclosed in a chamber, and further more there were baffles to direct cooling air to hot spots. The chambers had doors that opened to exhaust the heated air, and these doors were controlled by thermostats that held the doors closed until the engine warmed up. The air that came out of these exhaust vents could be dangerously hot. In the winter time this heated air was forced up into the passenger compartment for heat. This was different than the Volkswagen/Porsche method that used a heat exchanger on the exhaust pipes. That system was dangerous because when the heat exchanger rusted through the carbon monoxide in the exhaust killed the car's occupants. Yikes.

If the Corvair broke the fan belt or tossed it, it didn't take but just a few seconds for the engine to overheat and sometimes lock up. There was also a sophisticated oil cooler built into all of that that helped cooling.

You rarely see Corvairs today, but some of them made some serious horsepower. There was even a turbo 180 Corsa that is highly sought after, and the 140's like I had would eat many a muscle car back in the day. People that own LBC's (Little British Cars) hate them as they are the Corvair's favorite food group. Quite a few Corvairs had air conditioning, they were so light that power steering wasn't even offered.

A silly side note... because of Ralph Nader's claims of safety the US Gov't actually had the car tested and it is the only car to this day that is certified safe by the Congress Of the United States. I know, your aunt was decapitated by the engine when it flew out of the car while going to the grocery store... ;D

Anyway... back to the air cooled thing, two strokes have a real problem keeping things cool if they are air cooled. Suzuki used water cooling on the GT750's back in 1972. Many H1's and H2's seized up the center cylinder because they couldn't cope. With today's emissions laws it would have to be water cooled, the combustion chamber temps would be way too high and you would be forming those dirty little nitrous oxides. Even Bridgestone's little 50cc racers appeared to be water cooled. There is no real way to oil cool them....
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
This was different than the Volkswagen/Porsche method that used a heat exchanger on the exhaust pipes.

Another disadvantage of the heaters using an air-cooled engine's heat, either cylinders or exhaust manifold: no heat unless the engine is working.  We used to go skiing in southern Germany, then had a 30 minute downhill drive out of the mountains in our VW van. The heater (and defrosters) didn't put out warm air until we got down to flat land.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

reed

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
Karl
My first Porsche a 911T had no heat that was a 1973 but my 1982 Targa 911 has a great heater and heats up fast as good as
any water cooled engine .
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
Those old Corvair heaters had another problem.... If the car was left outside in the cold overnight dew or frost formed on the engine, so when you started the car warm, moist air was forced into the passenger compartment and fogged up the windows. It took 20 minutes for it to clear out.

If I remember right the 1960 Corvairs had a gas heater in the front trunk area that worked great. It was very complicated and was full of fail safe features. It had its own fuel pump and pumped gas from the fuel tank to the heater. It was very expensive and probably not safe at all in the event of an acident. It was dropped for the 1961 model year.

Has anyone measured the head temps on a Bridgestone with one of those laser heat guns? I'll bet on a hot summer day after a hard run it is pretty darn hot  ;D

I can make this measurement as I have one of those guns, but, it is about 20F here and we got about 8 inches of snow two days ago and we are expecting about 6 inches more tomorrow so I ain't gonna play with it anytime soon!!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:19:52 PM by Toystoretom »
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »

If I remember right the 1960 Corvairs had a gas heater in the front trunk area that worked great. It was very complicated and was full of fail safe features. It had its own fuel pump and pumped gas from the fuel tank to the heater.

Has anyone measured the head temps on a Bridgestone with one of those laser heat guns? I'll bet on a hot summer day after a hard run it is pretty darn hot  ;D

I had a 1959 Plymouth with a similar gas heater.  Not certain why it was even available, maybe as an option in northern states, since most of them had a normal hot water heater.

I've used a temp. gun on my 175 roadracer, most I've ever seen is 220 Deg. F. IIRC.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Gallery

Views:4969
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6165
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6460
Comments (0)