Author Topic: Reproduction Tool Bags  (Read 22160 times)

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Reproduction Tool Bags
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
In my other thread, I listed this as one of the things I was having trouble finding. The real ones rarely show up on eBay and it doesn't seem like anyone is reproducing these.

After thinking about it a bit, I decided to give TC with PitReplica a shout and see if he would be interested in providing these. He seems interested but I think if more people inquired, it might get done. One thing I forgot to point out and maybe someone here could, is that like his seat covers, he could do these for all the other manufacturers as well, not just Bridgestones.

I've offered to send him my beat up, ragged example, but he may require one in a little better condition. I'll let you all know how this progresses.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
Re: Reproduction Tool Bags
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »
Just got this reply.....

"Hi,
Ok great. I would like to give this a try.
Since you mentioned that this tool bags come in different size and snaps, what year in exact yours came from?
Best Regards, TC"

Before I respond, I'd like to check my facts. Were the tools bags the same for both the GTR & GTO throughout the production years 1967 - 1971?

There ARE 2 different part numbers for these in the 350 parts manual but are the bags the same with a different set of tools included or were there 2 totally different bags?

Offline steve

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »
I think that's a great idea Moonpup...nice one!

Offline James14p

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »
The ones I have say HOMER on top, then Bridgestone under it. I know they are original because they came from my dad's shop. I don't know which bikes they were on though.

Offline James14p

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »
Thanks James. That looks a lot like the bags for the smaller bikes such as the 50 & 60's, although I'm not sure if they had 'Homer" on them.

I'm trying to get him started with the tool bags for the 350's first and if they're successful, I'm sure he'll probably branch out to the other sizes.

I need the 350 folks to check their tool bags and let us know which bike it came with and what year. I'm hoping the bags were all the same size for both bikes through the entire 350 production period and it was just the tools included in them that were different.

Here's some more pic's (with measurements) of my GTO bag for the GTR members to compare to....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:35:53 PM by moonpup »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
Earlier I said that there were 2 part numbers for the 350 tools bags, and there are, but I should've paid closer attention! I have a habit of anytime I see a number end in 9010, I immediately assume it's for the GTO. That's not the case here. It's for a second batch of "special" tools as you'll see in the pic I've attached. (btw: the red stars are for a member that's helping me acquire some of the ones I'm missing.)

So I guess I'll let TC @ PitReplica know that the GTR & GTO shared the same bag throughout the years.

Offline Mopar5426

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 08:49:54 PM »
  Anyone Know What Will Soften The Plastic Bags   They Make Leather Sofener How About Plastic Sofener GENE

Offline James14p

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 04:18:34 PM »
Now I am confused as to what I actually have.....

scrambler

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »

You have the specialty tool set for the BS Homer step through scooter. Not the tool kit that would have came with the bike but the tool kit a dealer might have to service the bike.

Offline James14p

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »

You have the specialty tool set for the BS Homer step through scooter. Not the tool kit that would have came with the bike but the tool kit a dealer might have to service the bike.
Makes sense....Thank you!................Jim

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
Yes. if bag has HOMER on it then it is for a bs homer hms  not for any other bs jeff bar

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 09:28:38 AM »
Here's another update from my correspondence with TC @ PitReplica.

In my last email to TC, I mentioned the importance of having the Bridgestone name & logo embossed on the cover of the tool bag and if he was unable to do this, then there would probably be little interest in the product. I got this reply back this morning......

" Hi Mike,
My concern is if I can find the same material used for this bag. The heat embossed logo is no issue. No worries, I will see how it goes. Let’s try out. Nothing loss. I will return your bag in the same condition and a piece of my work for your review. Good?
Please send it to my shipping address below for production:"

So, with the ball back in my court, I'll get a bag sent off and I guess we'll see how this turns out.  8)

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
Here's a couple questions I hope you guys can help out with.....

First, thanks to Gene, I got another tool bag that's a better example to send to PitReplica but there is a slight difference that I wanted to run by everyone to see if there is a preference that you would like to see on the finished product. Now is the time to jump in and let your thoughts be known.

The Bridgestone lettering & logo are different between the 2 bags in that the embossing is opposite on them.

On the bag from my 1970 GTO, the lettering/logo is pressed down on the outside of the flap, so that the underside feels raised. On Gene's bag, it appears to be pressed from the underside, making the letters/logo feel raised on the outside.

The second question has to do with one of the screwdriver bits included in the 350 kit. It's the one on the far right in the illustration I provided earlier. Am I correct in seeing a smaller Phillips head on one end and a reg/flat head on the other end?

Here are the pic's of the embossing. The top photo will be from the GTO and the bottom from Gene.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:58:48 AM by moonpup »

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
I vote for the upper bag in your post.
...bert

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
Update: Just sent both tool bags off to TC this morning with instructions concerning embossing, color and snaps. Will keep y'all updated with the progress, but for now it's time to sit back and wait.  ;D

Thank you Gene for helping me out with the other bag, it'll be a big help in matching the color.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
Ok, while I'm sitting back waiting on TC's handywork, I thought I'd move on and see if I could get another detail worked out.

Some of the "new" tools (it appears mainly the wrenches/spanners) had these "Passed" inspection stickers one them. I'd like to see if I could take one down to the local print shop and get it reproduced. My only problem is I don't have any, so if someone has one in good shape that they could send me, I'd really appreciate it. The sticker will be returned and if I'm successful, I'll also include some of the repop's for your time & trouble.

If this has already been done, please let me know where I could get some.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
Two months later and.... TA-DAAAA!  TC sent me these pics this morning and needless to say, I am more than thrilled with the results. The grain/texture of the vinyl may not be a perfect match, but I can live with that and the rest looks perfect!

Not sure when they will show up on eBay or what the cost will be but at least we now have this option.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
Way to go Moonpup! Thanks for driving this project. Now I don't have to invent a way to rebond the edges on the "good" one I have. (wasn't sure I would come up with something that would work anyway...;-)
...bert

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »
Thanks Bert (and you too Steve).... at least these will be better than having ripped/brittle/discolored or no bag at all!

I'm still trying to nail down some more information for TC to both help & thank him for his effort with this. I got curious about the other bags for the smaller bikes and checked the parts manuals for the 200/175/100/90/60 & 50's. They all have pictures of bags with 2 snaps that look similar to the 350 bag but of course without the actual dimensions, I have no idea if they are a match. I'd like to let TC know which other Bridgestones used this 2 snap bag so that he can include that info in his sales description and increase his chances of making more sales.

So, to all the members that still have their toolbags for the bike listed above, would/could you please report back with the dimensions. I would really appreciate it.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:36:58 PM by moonpup »

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson