Author Topic: Ignition switch  (Read 9740 times)

Colin

• Trade Count: (0)
Ignition switch
« on: February 02, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »
Hi guys,
I have looked for a thread on this but do not see one, my wiring is worse than I thought too with fried wires in the harness, probably the reason my bike stopped being used.
However I nearly have it sorted out and for the first time looked at the ignition switch, so what are all the positions on the switch for, 1- obviously off,  2- on ? ,   3- then what ?  
and the last position 4 - park lights ?? because I can remove the key on that position.
Colin.
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
lol I just found out smileys are considered photo mail on my mobile and have been costing me 40 pence a text to attach, damn I have been sending them for years too
oh that's 60 cents in case any of you were wondering  :o :-[ :-\ :'(

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
Colin, look on page 66 of the service manual. It has a diagram that shows what's energized in each position and an explanation of purpose.
...bert

Colin

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »
Thank you Bert  ;D

Colin

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
Yes as I thought apart from the 5th gear indicator, very strange indeed, not a thing I think I need because I'm usually aware of what gear I'm in.
Might be I will do a bit of alteration there seeing as I'm messing with the harness anyway,
still thank you again for the help there Bert
Colin.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
Cmon Man! Ya gotta have a working 5th gear light! Gotta have that green light in your eyes while 'Doin' the Ton' (more likely than 6th). Just a small matter of wiring.
 ;D ::) ;D :o
Just a personal preference...;-)

...bert

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:27:31 AM »
Colin,
           Does your neutral light work, that's the green or blue one (depends how old the plastic lens is) ?  if so there's not much wrong with the 5th gear wiring. Let us know.
            Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

ziggy stardust

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
My original wiring loom was fried and also had some non standard modifications, so I made a new one.

Works great, If I can work it out I'm sure anybody can.

Z

Offline stickman

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
very very nice work

Stickman

Steve S.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:08:18 PM »
Ziggy that looks beautiful.  Great job!

Offline Tom Meadows

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 09:20:54 PM »
Ziggy,

Where did you get those great looking connectors?

Thanks,

Tom

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 09:27:35 PM »
Hey Z. Looks like you are using a different rectifier with terminals compatible with the push-ons or do they fit the stock tabs? Care to elaborate?
...bert

ziggy stardust

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »
Tom, I can't remember exactly where I purchased the wiring or the Japanese bullet connectors but there are many sites on the net selling such products, this is an example..........  http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/category/10

Bert, I used the standard rectifier but with new wiring and eye connections (not seen in photo) that connects using Japanese bullet connections as per original. I had a burnt out wiring loom and a colour diagram to go by, I measured the wire thickness, noted what colours I needed and what length and approximately how much wire I needed then bought everything on line and then waited delivery.

Some original wiring was used like from the handlebar switch and the two pilot lights in the headlamp but I later changed the pilot lights for new, I must admit I didn't get it right first time but I soon sorted it out.

Colin

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
Hi Brian,
I do not know if anything on the wiring works yet never mind the neutral light, I'm sorting out the harness with renewed wires where necessary and new connectors in the more visible areas, I have not got around to hooking up a battery yet, I'm not the quickest when it comes to restoring bikes as I have too many other hobbies - wife , kids, dog , work ?? all of those seem to take up more and more of any free time I get.
As for the light I have a nice little blue one and a nice green one too which is why I had to trawl through old posts to find out which to fit, and yup I had already fitted the blue  ::)
Regards Colin.
oh yeah and where better to work on the wiring than in the front sitting room, wife wants a new carpet though so not sure it worth was worth it, probably better if I'd just suffered the cold outside
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:35:12 AM by Colin »

Steve S.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 04:21:02 PM »
I know Richard was in the process of having new harnesses reproduced quite a while back.  Not sure if it ever came to be.  Anyone else know?

ziggy stardust

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
Just came across the address of the company that supplied everything for my wiring loom.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

Z

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
Yes as I thought apart from the 5th gear indicator, very strange indeed,

Colin, I'm confused now. Lets start again. So what on the wiring made you say you could survive without a 5th gear indicator.   Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Colin

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »
Hi Brian,
Nothing on the wiring said I could survive without a 5th gear indicator but I do have the harness in a partial strip right now because as soon as I looked at it I identified some melted wiring and some highly corroded connections, now a 5th gear indicator is not really something that would interest me if I was going to keep the bike until I get put in a hole because it will most likely annoy me sitting looking at it while riding the bike, however I did repair that wiring and will set it up in fully working and standard mode and should I decide to keep this bike (seems likely) then I will just pop the bulb out.
Still I do have a Bridgestone 175DT awaiting my attention and can lay my hands on another GTR plus a GTO as well should I take the urge to restore more Bridgestones, problem is with that last bit is Bridgestone parts are rare in the UK and I keep getting stung with import duties buying from the US, so back to the maybe sell bit if I do decide to restore the 175DT and purchase and restore the GTO then my current GTR will have to finance all that because Bridgestones are not cheap to restore no matter how much I do myself, I'm sure you already know all this though.
Regards Colin.
btw I have some parts for you so will email you the full list when I get home

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »
  Thanks Colin,
           I see where you are coming from now. Back in the late 60s, 6speed boxes were few and far between. With a 4speed box most riders would have known instinctively which gear they were in. However, I found with the GTR that I adopted a different approach, just use whichever gear the bike and engine felt happy in and forget the numbers. So the 5th gear indicator was useful on occasions to let you know you had one to go. It also provided a comforting little yellow glow when riding, maybe across the Pennine hills in the dark and cold at night. I'd knock her back into 5th sometimes just to see it !! :D
   I do intend to keep and use the GTR when it is finished, so see the cost as a long term investment. Hopefully I will live long enough to achieve the return !!
     By all means let me have your parts list, I look forward to that.
   Keep on restoring, Regards Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.

kleindorf

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 01:48:52 PM »
Maybe its now time to consider a main wiring harness reproduction project.The 350 clutch plate project in my opinion was a great success.Inevitably the pieces would need to be exactly as the OEM 350 one with the same connectors,sheathing and fidelity to detail. Lets have some feedback about this idea. The number of 350's that have surfaced and been restored or being restored would certainly benefit from a new harness as a starting point.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
I would personally favor larger wire gauges (next size for all wires) above an absolute copy. I have seen several harnesses that I have salvaged with melted insulation. Having a good replacement would be an excellent idea and probably achieveable without extreme cost or effort.
...bert

Gallery

Views:4986
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:6188
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:6493
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:6527