Author Topic: 350 SEAT LOGO MYSTERY  (Read 15730 times)

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
350 SEAT LOGO MYSTERY
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
Ok fellow BS enthusiasts, s'plain this one if you will.

I've got 4 seat covers now, 3 vintage and 1 PitReplica. 2 of the vintage came on my GTO's and the other is from a GTR. The logos on the GTO's are positioned closer to the front of the seat while the GTR and PitReplica are closer to the back. (I assume PitReplica positioned theirs based on a cover they received and copied.)

So.... were GTO's and GTR logos positioned differently on purpose or is this just a "chance" sampling and there's really no common position? Check your bikes and let the stats speak for themselves!  ;D

(The first 2 pics are the GTO seats, followed by the GTR and PitReplica.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:42:12 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
Re: 350 SEAT LOGO MYSTERY
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:38:50 AM »
Further investigation has lead me to believe this was NOT a "chance sampling" but rather a definite difference in the location of the logos.

Now whether it's a GTR vs. GTO thing or a "Pre 1970" vs. "Post 1970" difference, I haven't nailed that one down yet but every picture I've looked at either here with members bikes, on sales brochures or images found on the net, clearly show the difference in positioning.

The GTR logo will start well behind the last chrome rivet on the seat while the GTO starts in front of that same rivet. Below, you'll see two examples I know are original covers to the bikes. The GTR is from a sales brochure and the GTO is the one I bought new back in the day. (couldn't find a brochure pic of the GTO with a right side shot of the seat)

Personally, I think it was probably the "Pre 1970" vs. "Post 1970" difference due to either...
1- They just decided to move it forward for whatever reason or,
2- There was a change in suppliers.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »
Here are the 1971 GTR & GTO with the large font logos. Both are positioned forward of the last rivet.

Bikenstein

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:02:28 PM »
Very interesting Moonpimp

paul

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
Some were applied on Monday after super bowl sunday? Or maybe the application was done the day after Saint Patrick's Day. I suspect supplier changes.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »
While the "why" may have an interesting back story to it, I don't think we'll ever find out what it was. We can only guess and speculate for now.

For individuals that want to restore their bike as accurately as possible, this and other threads like it will hopefully help in that effort. 

Offline bsforever

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »
I am curious if anyone with the post '70 had their logo re-lettered from the smaller logo style to the italicized ,larger version? I have my seat cover with the smaller block style letters which i ordered from pitreplica, but would not be accurate to the style for my '71 needs. Could the smaller logo be 'blocked out' and re-stenciled with the correct larger version? Just asking if anyone has had this done on here before and what would the result be?   I really want to say that the Pit-replica is a excellent cover they sell for the money and i am more than happy with it, but if the logo styling is something that can be changed, i want to check into it first before actual replacement. Is the lettering a ink?  where could some (ink) be purchased in the correct color? is this something to be left for the 'professional' to do?

Offline RayK

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »
Hi BS forever

The seats that I have have smaller print on the 50 and 90 seats. Larger print on the 175 and 90 Mountain seat. For the lettering get a stencil made by your local signwriter and use aerosol silver vinyl spray paint. Avoid runs on the vinyl by allowing a light coat to dry and repeating 3-4 times.  The can I have was made in the USA, so you should have no trouble accessing one.

Cheers
Ray
BS 175DT, BS 50 Sport x 1, BS 90 Mountain x 3, BS 90 Deluxe, BS 90 Sport x1, BS 60 Sport, BS 90 Trail, BS100 Sport.

Offline bsforever

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:10 PM »
Ray, thanks for the input  :) i will need to find an aerosol black vinyl spray also to use to block out the old logo first. I will be much happier with the correct logo styling. 

Bikenstein

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
Maybe these guys will have Bridgestone stencils for you http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?bs_content.html~main

Sno Jet

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »
I would be cautious about how the black paint blends or does not blend in. 

Offline bsforever

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:41 PM »
I will post my results when i have it completed. I will need to visit a upholstery shop to see what they have available for the black, perhaps there are different shades of black and they can advise me which one would work the best. I will take the cover along so it can be looked at and they should be able to help out with the shade needed. If i do post pics, i will do my best, i have a cheapo camera and it does not have HD. :o

Sno Jet

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:29 AM »
I wonder if someone was to contact Pit Replica, if they would make one up with the newer logo upon request???

I understand he makes many of them up as they are ordered.

He may need a sample of the logo.

Offline steve

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 05:50:44 AM »
BS forever...rather than trying to overspray the logo, sometime ago, I used a very small amount of general purpose thinners on some kitchen paper and it removed the logo quite easily. I was concerned at first that the thinners would harm the vinyl in some way, hence, I used only a minimal amount. In fact, I tried it first on an old seat cover that I had with no adverse effect. After the logo was removed I wiped the area with a little soap and water just to remove all trace of thinners and the vinyl was fine.
I know a guy here in the UK who makes seat covers and his stencilling is top notch. If you have just the cover, it might be worth considering...

Moonpup...really glad you noticed this, I've had both a GTR and GTO for years and never noticed it, it now suddenly looks so obvious how different they are! Very interesting..

Steve

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
..........snip...........
Moonpup...really glad you noticed this, I've had both a GTR and GTO for years and never noticed it, it now suddenly looks so obvious how different they are! Very interesting..

Steve

Thanks Steve..... I was starting to wonder if due to the few responses directly related to the positioning issue, that this was something already well known in the Bridgestone community. And it may still be exactly that, it's just that I've never seen any discussion about it either here nor elsewhere.

I would really like to see in the future, someone offer replica covers with not only the correct logo color but also offer choices of logo positioning and/or font size based on model year.  ;D

Right now, the cover I got from PitReplica for my 1970 GTO is incorrect on 2 of those points!  :o  Only the font size is correct.

Offline bsforever

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
Steve, sounds like i will try that technique to remove the old logo...... would be better than blocking it out. thanks for the tip Steve.  :) :) :)

whitegto

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
the covers i produce are exactly that, based on font size,year and positioning.  John

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »
That sounds great John, I know we spoke briefly about your covers, but that was before I saw the positioning differences.

Coxy sent me some pics of your covers and they look great. Now it may have been just the lighting when he took them but the lettering looked white to me. Can you confirm the color for us?

It would be well worth the additional cost (at least to me) over PitReplica's prices, if color/positioning/font size were accurate to my particular year and model.

whitegto

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 04:09:23 AM »
Hi,
yes you are correct in saying Coxys is white, the original cover he had was indeed white.
We have  found some that were white, although the majority were silver. We can do either.

cheers John

Sno Jet

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 05:05:26 AM »
Is there a link to viewing and purchasing your covers?  Thanks

Gallery

Views:1056
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:2173
Comments (0)