Author Topic: Japanese industry standard screwdrivers  (Read 12288 times)

Offline fiction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
Japanese industry standard screwdrivers
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:17:11 AM »
Am i the last person in the world to find out thre is a screwdriver specifically made to fit Japanese screws.i bought a set of screws to fit the gtr and got information with them to make sure I used the correct screwdriver .i found a set on eBay ,made by vessel, never seen any before always used pozi ,Phillips ,or star none are very good on Japanese screws.

Offline steve

Re: Japanese industry standard screwdrivers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 07:39:20 AM »
You should find the Vessel screwdrivers a big improvement on what you've been using, as they're designed specifically for JIS. I've been using them for a while now and even tight screws can be undone without leaving any marks. They're not cheap but a good investment.

Steve

Offline fiction

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »
Yes I've invested in a set last month , they work great ,just thought I'd spread the word .surely I'm not the only person not to know about these screwdrivers.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
To be honest I'd never heard of Vessel screwdrivers and I've been restoring Japanese motorcycles for a good while now, I use a quality screwdriver with a selection of bits and have had no problem as long as I'm careful but I will be looking at these screwdrivers and possibly ordering one now they have been brought to my attention. Thanks.

Z
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:38:31 PM by ziggy stardust »

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »
Good catch fiction! it makes sense to me now since I have always found the screws on my 350 finicky and have had occasion to damage a few screws when they were stuck. I too will be looking into this. Thanks! I guess old dogs are never too old to learn a new trick. ;D
...bert

Found this pic that explains why you need a different screwdriver.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:46:21 PM by slawsonb »

Online moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:46:06 PM »
Here's a neat little Bridgestone set I found whilst surfn' the net. Looks like it has 2 JIS/Phillips, 2 flat head, 2 sockets, a file, a hammer and whatever the thing is 2nd. from the end on the right....
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

mqtsteve

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
Here's a link to a Motion Pro T driver with JIS 1,2 & 3 bits.  Less than $30 on eBay.  Check them out, Steve

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-T-Handle-Bit-Driver-with-No-1-2-3-JIS-Cross-Head-Bits-08-0557-/111753791421?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 10:09:23 PM »
I had a buddy give me a set of Vessel screw drivers. He told me that the Japo screws that those were intended for had a small hole or dot stamped into the head of the screw,,,, I stole this photo from Google images....

I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

mqtsteve

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 07:19:06 AM »
I looked at many NOS and original screws for my BS90's and can not find one with a dimple/dot on the head.  Is this a modern marking?  Where can JIS M6 engine case screws be purchased? (Other than Richard)  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks, Steve

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »
 Steve,
            This is the company we use in the UK.             http://www.mrmegapack.co.uk/bzp-philips-screws---m6-21022-p.asp
        The screws don't have the JIS dot but are a good fit on JIS drivers and the head closely matches the BS originals. Had a look at my collection of original BS 5/6mm case screws and they don't have the dot.  Sure I've seen them on the odd screw in the past but can't find one.
        Know we've said this before, surely there is someone in the US who can supply these. Order them from the UK and you too can enjoy the pain of all the import charges, duty and tax that we in the UK suffer when buying stuff from the US.   :D ;D :D                            Brian.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:14:30 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
I think I posted this before, but a seller "stampman" on ebay sells a bag of 50 6mm screws that closely match the old screws for $25.  I'm not certain if they are JIS or not, but they have the head shape of the old screws, not the modern shape you get at the hardware store today.

Search for "bridgestone screws" or the seller's name.  He also sells packages for other bikes, just varies the quantity and lengths.

You may want to use Richard for specific screws if you need a few or want the exact originals, but the assortment is handy to have around for other bikes and uses besides your Bridgestone and good for those times when you drop and lose one, or inadvertently mess up the head of one and want a quick replacement.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »
I have purchased screws from both stampman and mrmegapack. They have what you are looking for. Obviously cheaper from the US than the UK for those of us on the west side of the pond. btw, mrmegapack is the only one I have found that offers the 5mm 350 air case screws.
...bert

ziggy stardust

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
As I've been preparing my GTR in readiness for the Stafford Classic Bike Show next weekend I noticed that the 5 and 6mm screws supplied by mrmegapak all have the dot on the head.

As stated above JIS screws have a dot mark on the head which clearly identifies them as JIS profile screws.

Z
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 01:51:39 PM by ziggy stardust »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
 Hi Z,
           The 5x0.9 and 6 mm screws I got from mrmagapack do not have the dot unfortunately, did I order the wrong ones?                 Brian.

Correction :-   Somehow, overnight the 5X0.9 screws have gained JIS dots. Just had a cataract done so must have missed them   :( :o
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:28:43 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

mqtsteve

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!  I just checked some original used 6mm screws and some NOS ones, they do not have any dots.  I ordered some NOS screws from another US vendor.  Here's a picture of some originals that are a little messed up and some NOS with p/n, but don't have a dot.  They're all JIS.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »
Hi Brian, I just ordered the screws and that's how they came, personally I'm not bothered if they have dots or not just as long as they all match.

Z

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 08:27:46 PM »
I expect the dots are a contemporary approach to differentiate JIS screws. This would make it possible to sort mixed stock. I would not expect that BS used screws with these marks since their only stock was JIS and there was not the worldwide environment in which we find ourselves. My theory...thoughts?
...bert

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 08:34:50 PM »
I'm fairly certain the dots to denote JIS are a later addition.  Original screws on my '67 350, '65 90 do not have the dot, and I don't remember ever seeing the dot till after BS had stopped production.  As said above, the need to differentiate JIS came about later as the economy became global.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 09:26:46 PM »
I have disassembled 3 '67 GTR's and several spare 350 motors and not a single screw that I have observed had a dot. Just more data for the discussion.
...bert

ziggy stardust

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 06:32:36 AM »
Oops! made a mistake. The 6mm screws on my GTR have no dot so are ISO whereas the 5mm ones do and are JIS.  :-[

Z
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:35:45 AM by ziggy stardust »

Gallery

Views:329
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1463
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1796
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson