Author Topic: Re: Left hand brake pedal setup  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Steve Swan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
Re: Left hand brake pedal setup
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:05:27 PM »
i am interested in swapping shifter/brake sides.  i picked up a nos RH shift pedal, and wondering the best way to locate the LH brake pedal, and i am suspecting the cable is also required for the swap...?  Riding the "6 down" is confusing to me, as my modern Guzzi's are the conventional 1 down/4 up and of course then my Interceptor shifts on the RH with 1 up/3 down, so between the 3 shift patterns, it seems the one that makes me have to consciously think about shifting is going back and forth between the Guzzi's and the GTR.  I find i don't have to think about shifting when i am on the Interceptor, so if i could convert the GTR to a RH shift, i think it would help as the GTR and Interceptor are two such different worlds.  if anyone has a LH brake pedal and cable available, i would appreciate hearing from you or where i can source these parts would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance, steve

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »
Well, here is an update on my search for the LH/RH visa versa shift/brake conversion.  First, an equally big thank you to "moonpup" and "coxy" for sharing their knowledge and experience about the conversion.  as a bit of background information, i bought a RH shift lever from "swapmeetman" on ebay and also unbeknownst to me, until after talking with "moonpup" i had also purchased the LH brake cable from "swapmeetman."  So.  2 parts down, and 5 to go......... 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:34:49 PM by Steve Swan »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:06:33 PM »
        Steve,
                  You probably now know that BS produced a kit for the crossover option for $45.56 back in the day and listed the separate parts in a Serice Letter. Just how many of these parts were produced is anyone's guess but it wasn't many...... maybe under 50?, very few are now known to exist.
        Left hand brake pedals come up occasionaly but the rarest part is the cranked kickstart lever, some have had a standard lever modified. Standard lever can be used but hits the brake lever at the stroke bottom.
  A spacer(15mm) and longer bolt (60mm) was also supplied for the right side front footrest but is not essential. Gear lever will work without spacer, just!!!!  I made a  spacer from 1/2'' pipe and bought a bolt on line. Good luck.                      Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Mopar5426

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »
  I have the brake pedal   I returned your call but never herard back
GENE

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:04:57 PM »
Gene, i just sent a pm.

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 07:11:45 PM »
just thought i would update everyone on my LH brake/RH shift conversion efforts.  Between the good graces of fellow members and the internet, i now have all the parts to make up the conversion EXCEPT for the kick start lever. 

i obtained a very nice original chrome kick start lever i've fitted to my GTR and intend to use the rusty kick start lever that came on my bike to bend at some point in the future so as to clear the LH brake pedal.  having loose fitted the LH brake pedal and when pushing down the 'standard' kick lever, it does appear with some conservative bending of the LH brake pedal, the 'standard' kick lever would clear the LH brake pedal.  HOWEVER, i have NO intention of bending that precious LH brake pedal. 

so, i am back to modifying my rusty kick lever.  i am not in a hurry to fit the conversion parts nor 'convert' the rusty lever, on the other hand any help from folks who have already been down this road, will save me from "reinventing the wheel" in modifying my old kick lever.  if i can send the lever to you for the appropriate bending, i certainly will be happy to pay you for your time and effort. 

in closing, what is interesting, is the rusty kick lever that came on my bike has a distinct old wear mark in the  exact  area where the kick lever fouls the LH brake pedal.  (i tested this wear mark when i loose fit my LH pedal.)  that wear mark is interesting, and certainly makes me question what caused that wear mark...  given the wear mark is exactly where the lever strikes the LH pedal, it makes me wonder if my GTR had been fitted at one time with a LH brake pedal or if that 'standard' KS lever had been fitted on another GTR with a LH brake pedal.

whilst i am aware the 2680-9010 kick lever to clear the LH brake pedal includes a boss unlike the 2680-9000 'standard' boss, i am fairly certain i must content myself with modifying the 'standard' lever to fit a to the 'standard' boss unless a complete 2680-9010 complete assembly might appear or or a 9010 boss might appear...  not holding my breath on that one!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:18:14 PM by Steve Swan »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
Steve, I'm pretty sure the kick start boss is the same for either kick lever, so you can cross that off your list of parts needed....
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:40:49 PM »
Steve, I'm pretty sure the kick start boss is the same for either kick lever, so you can cross that off your list of parts needed....

Thanks Mike; good to know!   my belief each lever used their own distinctive bosses, i was going by the pic i believe you had posted a while back of the two different levers....?  or is the boss on the bottom "bent" lever simply turned 180' and therefore looks different from 'standard' boss, but is not...?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:42:27 PM by Steve Swan »

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Comparing these two levers, it appears in the case of modifying the 'standard' lever, the first bend needs to be made immediately past the pivot point...? 

What i need to know is the distance from the apex of the first bend to the apex of the 2nd bend....??

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »
Yes, the boss on the bottom is just turned 180 from the top one.  8)

Either coxy or Brian (BRT-GTR) would be able to give you the measurements you need for bending a standard kick lever.

Coxy has bent one and Brian has the real deal!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:54:01 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 08:15:17 PM »
Yes, the boss on the bottom is just turned 180 from the top one.  8)

Either coxy or Brian (BRT-GTR) would be able to give you the measurements you need for bending a standard kick lever.

Coxy has bent one and Brian has the real deal!

Thanks again, Mike!  yes, i know Andrew has a modified one, and Brian has an original, i've been in prior contact with them, both are busy, and rather than bug either of them, i thought i would just post what's going on as a means to keep this topic alive and if either see it and have time to contact with me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:39:39 PM by Steve Swan »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 07:51:44 AM »
          Hi Steve,
                         Apologies, I'm still in the middle of the engine/alternator rebuild but am waiting for materials.
          To allow you to move forward, (I appreciate it's frustrating when you get held up like this) I have ckecked the centres on the two bends. Measured along the lever, they are 50mm apart.
        Centre of the first bend down at the boss is only 20mm up the shaft, measured along the bottom edge and could only have been made at the manufacture forging stage.  I.E. This is a new forging and not a rebent original lever but I believe they used the same blank because the modified lever is effectively shorter than the original, less kick leverage.
           In reality the offset does not need to be as large as BS made it. The modified lever clears the brake pedal by nearly an inch.  Will send you the lever profiles when I have more time. Coxy's man is probably your best option as jigs would be required to make the first bend.                                                  Brian, unbugged  ;).           
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:51:02 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »
  Steve,
             Have emailed you a copy of kicklever sketch, here's a copy that may assist others.            Brian
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:43:59 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »
Brian, thank you for your very helpful sketch and explanation of the bends; having never seen one of these levers, it's nice to have the experience of others so the bends can be done right.  I'll wait to hear from Andrew if his mate still has the jig to make the first bend which would be the easiest route.  Otherwise I'll give the lever i am going to use for the bend some thought and bend it accordingly to clear the pedal.

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 09:25:36 PM »
If anyone needs a RH gear shift lever i have a new one available.  I don't remember what i paid for it, so i feel $35 postage included is a reasonable price.  Kind regards.

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1696
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1759
Comments (0)