Author Topic: 350 Generator drive gear  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • What, me worry?
350 Generator drive gear
« on: July 15, 2018, 12:52:31 PM »
I have to remove the drive gear on my 350 GTR generator. It seems the prvious owner did not completely seat the woodruff key in the shaft,as it's sticking up at a bit of an angle, and the gear doesn't seem to be completely covering the  key. For all I know, the key is not the  right one, for I've found many signs of ham-fistedness on the bike. OK, here's the question: Is the bolt that holds the gear to the shaft a standard left-hand thread ("lefty-loosey), or just the opposite? There is nothing in the service manual about this.

Thanks in advance!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: 350 Generator drive gear
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »
It's "lefty-loosey". 
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »
            If you can see any of the key projecting beyond the back of the drive gear then it's highly likely the key and gear are not properly seated on the shaft taper. Exactly what I found on my GTO, gear was 4mm out of position, running skewed and damaged the front bearing in the alternator. Wondered why it was smothered in loctite!!   Must have been built by the same ham-fisted guy ?
        The key was very tight in its slot and unable to swivel to correct position. Simply eased the key on a piece of wet & dry, problem solved. Also put in new alternator bearings. See photo below, black line shows where back of gear shoud have been.
   I also found I could now time the engine with both points opening on timing pin dimples, couldn't before.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:48:59 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »
Great info, BRT-GTR, especially where the gear should be on the shaft. Perhaps it was the same ham-fisted "mechanic"- who knows!

Offline hardy

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
When it’s time for re-install, it wouldn’t hurt to lap the gear and shaft tapers together. After all it’s this mating surface that drives the shaft. The keyway is only there to set the timing. The key should be a firm fit inside gear and shaft. As Brian said, the key can be eased to size with a bit of wet and dry.

If your unsure about how far it should go into the taper, install without the key, Mark shaft then repeat.

Post up how you go!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 08:00:15 AM »
          All good advise by Hardy, however, just had a look at a spare alternator, note the key slot in the gear is not machined parallel with the taper on the shaft, it is parallel with the centre line of the shaft, IE, the slot is deeper at the front of the gear than it is at the back. 
         This means, if the key is a tight fit in slot (which they seem to be) and not set at the right angle, the gear jams on it before seating on the taper. This is what had happened on mine. Wouldn't mind but Mr Hamfist knew it wasn't seating and smothered the shaft, gear and bolt with loctite and hoped it would be OK. I could hear the noise it was making under the cases but didn't know what was causing it.  Loctite was the clue.
          Clean the slot sides and ease the sides of the key until it is a light press fit in the slot and able to swivel when pressed on either end. It will then find its correct angle as the gear is pressed on. Would second hardy's idea to mark the shaft with gear position before inserting the key.

Here's another picture showing where back of gear had jammed on key and marked it. Wonder how long it had been running like that ?
                                 Brian

Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)