Author Topic: latest article 350 GTO  (Read 3360 times)

Offline mrjones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
latest article 350 GTO
« on: June 18, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »
 As a subscriber to classic motorcycle mechanics ( a uk publication) i get the latest issue a few days early, in the latest issue theres a good article about the GTO 350 ( just looking at it made me realise they have headlined it GTR350! ) its interesting but it does say that" cracked carb covers and/or inlet rubbers will have the engine running really badly"  as my bike isnt running yet (later today hopefully!) is this true? i have left out the small rubber the oil pipes feed through as it seemed to be constricting the oil supply so i am concerned!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: latest article 350 GTO
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
IMHO, air leaking into the carburetor cavity from any source should not affect the way it runs. The air cleaner flow should be unrestricted enough that any other leak would not have any effect. 

The little triangular rubber plug in the case where the oil lines enter/exit does squeeze the lines somewhat, but the actual oil flow when running is a matter of a few drops per minute (est. roughly 6 hours of riding time for 1 quart of oil through the system), so the flow wouldn't really be restricted.  That opening would let unfiltered air into the right carburetor cavity.  If you're concerned about that, just push a piece of foam into the area or use RTV to keep from having to disassemble the oil lines to install it.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline Bridgestone Man

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:45:57 AM »
mrjones, how about scanning the article and posting it here for all of us to read

Sam Keys

Offline mrjones

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:19:50 PM »
ha ha i wish i knew how! one of my sons could do it but my computer skills are very basic/poor! i will see one of them this week and maybe get it on but no promises!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:51:31 AM »
              I will see if I can get hold of a copy of magazine and post a scan, I'd like to read the article also.

Let's face it, the only way you can set up the carbs on a GTR/GTO is with their side covers off, so any air leakage into the carb chambers when the covers are on, is unlikely to upset the engine running.
    However, it is important to seal the carb chambers as much as possible, so all incoming air is drawn through the filter.  Those chromed bores need all the protection they can get from road grit and dust. This does tend to accumulate at the back of the cylinders and will find it's way in around the oil pipes. Do the bores a favour and seal the oil tubes at the crankcase
                                             Brian.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:49:16 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 07:56:23 AM »
   Hi All,
                I was unable to find the latest M/cycle Mechanics issue with the GTO article but did find the June edition of UK magazine, Classic Bike, which has a big feature on what was happening in the biking world in 1967.  Lo and behold, there is an article on the then new GTR which is below. Might have to spread it over a few posts.   Tester was suitably impressed but we know he would be  ;D ;). Very nice looking bike,  spot the non original or missing items, I can see at least 4.   Can only increase the UK awareness of the make, which is a good thing and might help me sell my spare bike when I am ready.
        Brian

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:26:48 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
   Second Part.

Unspoiled by progress.

Offline husker

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
The Made in Japan decal is missing, can't see for sure if the clip that holds the clutch and brake cables together is there, and the spark plug cable ends are red instead of black.  Noticed the clip that holds the brake and speedometer is on the front of the lower triple tree. My GTR has a clip on the backside...........Rod
1968 Bridgestone GTR350,  1971 Kawasaki A7SS, 1983 KZ750 LTD

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
    Must get my other cataract done  8) ???, didn't spot your first 2, did notice the plug caps, but let that one go, so that's 7. Won't disclose mine yet, come on you purists.
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »
Couple more....

1- Even though it's still a left shift set-up, it has the super rare right shift kick start lever! (Sweet)

2- Wrong seat.... has 1971 logo font & size.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline mrjones

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 12:13:12 PM »
 i cant add much to the detail finding being a newbie to bridgestones!,the article on here looks really good and i will have to get a copy to add to my collection, i got two old (1981 and 1988) magazines this morning , courtesy of ebay and they arnt a patch on the newer magazines , standards have really gone up since the 80s, by the way classic motorcycle mechanics should be in the shops (uk) today

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:41 AM »
         As I said above, very nice example of a GTR, I'm not knocking it (Wouldn't mind owning it  :-*), this is just a bit of fun for the eagle eyed purists amongst us, me included  ;D.      I noticed :-

Seat Logo, knew you'd get that one, Pup !
 Carb cable spring guards
 Side stand rubber, looks like a piece of hydraulic hose fitted
 Main stand rubber stopper,

It does have, what look like it's original pipes, the rear footrest hanger bracket was beefed up and made wider after about the first 1100 biles.

Missed the cranked K/start lever. In defence  ;), I've been working on my GTO which has the crossover kit fitted and working. I'm just short of the right footrest spacer, anyone tell me what length it was ?

The seat strap on 67-70? bikes was factory fitted behind the small hump on the seat, nicely dividing the seat top.  Often, I see restorations with the strap fitted square across the seat, in front of the hump, as in the article. It never looks quite right but a question - my White GTO 1971 model came with the strap square across the original seat and looks like it had been in this position a long time. Did BS reposition the seat strap to the front of the hump on the final batch of bikes for 1971 ?

Got to admit, I have the speedo cable in front of the lower triple tree but the clip is still at the back holding the brake cable. A minor mod that seems kinder to the speedo cable and avoids the sharp bend back in the factory position.

I will try to contact the owner of this bike, he's not too far from me and offer him a cable crossover clip.  Be nice to meet a local co-owner who isn't a couple of hundred miles away.

mrjones, thanks for info on MM magazine, feel free to message me if you are stuck for parts. Apologies if I hijacked or diverted your post.                          Brian

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:48:01 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »
I am a U.S. subscriber to Classic Motorcycle Mechanics and just received my June 2017 issue today.  I guess it takes a real long time to get this far because after I thumbed through the magazine I realized that the 350 GTO write-up won't appear (at least for me) until the July 2017 issue.  Inside the back cover they give you a teaser about what's going to be in the following month's issue and the GTO article will be in the "Buyer's Guide" section of the magazine near the classifieds. 

Well, in about a month when I get my next issue I'll post the article if someone "across the pond" doesn't do it first. 

Offline mrjones

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
 having just got classic bike  with the article pictured i think ive seen one thing no-one else has, handgrips! they look like there from a honda! perhaps you have to have it in front of you, so what do you think Brian?

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 07:26:25 AM »
        Hi Marcus,
                         You are right, well spotted, definitely not original BS handgrips !    Kawasaki also used the same pattern handgrip as BS. These are available at low cost on the internet but the modern copies use a harder plastic compound. These can be uncomfortable on your hands on longer trips. Guess how I know that.
               Brian
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 04:13:54 PM »
I'm impressed! This group has good eyes!

Offline old smokey

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 11:48:55 AM »
I see the article claims this bike was made during the first week of production. I don't see in the article what the serial number might be, anyone got other source info?
To me it looks like the chain guard isn't chrome, but maybe just the angles of the photography make it look painted.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
Here's a link that will let you read the GTO article, plus a couple pics with interesting comments. (click on the pic's to enlarge them)

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/classic-motorcycle-mechanics/20170619/283450666396629
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:34:56 AM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
how can a cracked carb cover be the cause of bad running ? there are gauze drain plugs its not sealed to start with

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)