Author Topic: Kick Start clearance on HS pipes too tight.  (Read 4188 times)

jjwithers

• Trade Count: (0)
Kick Start clearance on HS pipes too tight.
« on: November 11, 2016, 10:52:49 PM »
My BS 175HS is soooo close to running...

I almost mounted the kick start today and realized that the muffler clearance with the kick start is really tight. 
In fact, there isn't room for the arm of the lever to clear under the pipe.  It will scrape, and/or melt the rubber of the kick lever.   

I tried to get the pipes as high as I could and I think I'm at the max. 
I haven't even pressed the lever on the splines all the way but once I do, it will be worse. 
Any ideas? 

I wish I heated the hell out of it and bent the lever prior to powder coating... hind sight...

-Josh

Offline hardy

• Full Bridgestone Member
Re: Kick Start clearance on HS pipes too tight.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:28:37 AM »
Something does not look right. Perhaps another member can post pics of the side of their bike for reference?

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 11:42:53 AM »
I doesn't appear that the kick start lever is suppose to fit below the muffler.....
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

jjwithers

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
Goofy design. I wish i knew this before i powder coated everything.  I would have re-bent the lever to fit.
damn...

so, to those with a HS,  does it actually hit the pipe?

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
Goofy design. I wish i knew this before i powder coated everything.  I would have re-bent the lever to fit.
damn...

so, to those with a HS,  does it actually hit the pipe?

I'll leave the "actuals" to those that own these, but the pic's show it resting on the muffler shield.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 04:39:20 PM »
Here's mine. As you can see, it is similar to yours, but with the lever pushed all the way on the kickstart shaft.  The heat shield keeps the rubber from contacting the pipe.  Since  yours won't clear at all if it pushed all the way on, It surely is bent.  However, they will bend without heat.  I've seen them bent enough to crack the chrome significantly and just bend back without a structural issue.  I think that powdercoat should give enough without cracking that you can bend that lever as needed.  The issue will be to clamp it without scratching the finish, probably hard plastic in the vise jaws, and a couple layers of tape around the top end before putting a piece of pipe over it for leverage.

BTW, like my kickstart rubber?
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »
What color is the powdercoat on  your parts (kickstart lever)? Is it an Eastwood color?   I like the look.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »
I'm not so sure the lever needs any bending. I looks like you're trying to fit it on at an almost straight up perpendicular stance vs. the 10 -11 o'clock position seen in the 2 pics I posted.

I think if it's installed in the "cocked-back" position, it would not only fit all the way on the shaft, but the top swivel part wouldn't make contact with the muffler and the rubber kick end would be resting on the shield.

I could be wrong, but that's just what I'm seeing in the pictures....  :o

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »
             I believe (hearsay from a fellow site member) there is a similar issue with the 350 GTO, in that the high pipe does not allow the standard kickstart lever to swivel back far enough to engage the detent ball on the lever pivot.
             Consequently the lever is not securely retained in the folded position and tends to swing out when the bike is ridden. This is something I will be having a look at when my GTO arrives from the States in, hopefully, early December ( early Christmas present to myself ).
        BS didn't get everything absolutely right. A shorter k/start lever may have been the answer on both models but that had a cost and could have introduced other issues.
              Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

jjwithers

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 11:46:33 AM »
I think Moonpup has the answer... i need to mount the lever around 10-11 o'clock and let the foot tab hit the exhaust shield. 

The powder coat color is left over from a BMW build I did.  It is a Porsche matched PrismaColor.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 05:50:58 PM »
             I believe (hearsay from a fellow site member) there is a similar issue with the 350 GTO, in that the high pipe does not allow the standard kickstart lever to swivel back far enough to engage the detent ball on the lever pivot.
             Consequently the lever is not securely retained in the folded position and tends to swing out when the bike is ridden. This is something I will be having a look at when my GTO arrives from the States in, hopefully, early December ( early Christmas present to myself ).
        BS didn't get everything absolutely right. A shorter k/start lever may have been the answer on both models but that had a cost and could have introduced other issues.
              Brian.

I can neither deny nor can I confirm this...  ;D 

First, congratulations Brian on joining the "GTO Owner's Club" Always nice to have more members!

The front muffler shield on the GTO's have a metal tab that hangs down for the foot tab to rest in, it does not however hold it in place. I checked my GTO this morning and found that indeed it doesn't currently lock into place via the indent. Then again, I've never paid attention to that before and haven't taken the time to try any adjustments to see if I can get it to lock.

I do know that a nos kick start lever I have is real tight and would never swing out in it's current state. However, I imagine that it could happen over time as it gets worn out. Back in 1971-72, after putting over 3,000 miles on my GTO, I never experienced that problem.

Your "new" GTO has the special kick lever for the right shift conversion.... I wonder how that one performs?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:55:04 PM by moonpup »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
I think Moonpup has the answer... i need to mount the lever around 10-11 o'clock and let the foot tab hit the exhaust shield. 

The powder coat color is left over from a BMW build I did.  It is a Porsche matched PrismaColor.

Good luck JJ and let's us know how it works out for you.  8)

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 09:16:59 AM »
          Thanks Mike,  come to think of it, I've only ever seen a single GTO in my lifetime but have always fancied one as a stable mate to the GTRs. So I will have a foot (and other parts of my anatomy  ;D) in both camps. Which side will I support in future ?, ...........you'll have to wait and see  ::) but I look forward to being able to do a direct comparison between the two models.

Having recently overhauled a couple of kickstart levers, I think you are right in your observation that the lever will only swing out during riding when a bit of wear develops. Should be easily resolved with a shim or two.
           I will let you know how the cranked 'conversion' kickstart performs. Maybe not a good idea to have two similar machines with opposite brake and gear levers  :o :'(

Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »
I never really thought about it before but I took a look at my bikes, a '71 GTO and a '68 GTR.  The tab on the left front heat shield of the GTO does keep the kick lever from folding completely in.  The lever is mounted in a more vertical stance than the one on the GTR though.  The tab on the left front heat shield keeps the foot lever portion from touching the air cleaner cover.  This isn't an issue on the GTR as it's mounted so the main part of the vertical kickstart shaft is fixed in the 1-2 o'clock position and doesn't rotate up far enough to hit the air cleaner cover. 

Seems to me that you mount that kick lever in a position that suits you best.  I've never had the kick lever unfold when I ride and would think that your left leg would prevent that.

For whatever reason, it's always seemed natural to me to stand on the left side of the bike, grab the hand grips, and use my left foot/leg to kick the bike over.  I used to own a Suzuki 305 in the past with the kick on the left.  Maybe that's where I developed the habit. 

Gallery

Views:334
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1468
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1801
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1870
Comments (0)