Author Topic: CLASSIC BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLES.  (Read 9085 times)

reed

• Trade Count: (0)
CLASSIC BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLES.
« on: December 13, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »
Classic Bridgestone motorcycles.
I talk to a lot of younger people on the subject of classic motorcycles (Bridgestone) or British.
And they seem to have no interest unless its new i wonder what will happen as the years go by
To these fine motorcycles, what do you think, let me know!!
Thanks.
Steve.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:42:15 PM by reed »

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: CLASSIC BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLES.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »
Gday Steve
I reckon there is hope. On the way back from the coast yesterday there was a young Chap riding a Kawasaki ltd and maybe a couple of years ago I sold some mufflers to a bloke all of seventeen or so who said he and his dad were restoring a j model harley

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:30:09 AM »
    Hi Steve,
                 I believe, appreciation of older machinery is something we grow into with age, a bit like older( no I won't say it) you work it out  :D ;D :D.

Weren't we the same when in our teens, must have the latest, shiny jap bike with all the extras. .   Got to admit, some of the old villiers powered two strokes, I wouldn't have been seen dead on back in the late 60s, now look quite attractive and I realise the Brit manufacturers did try to compete with the Jap takeover of the bike market. It was just too little, too late. 
     I like to think our machines will be cherished by other enthusiasts in the years to come. 
     Brian
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »
I agree with Brian, but there are a few youngsters who appreciate vintage bikes. My CB750 cafe used to draw a crowd on my scoots up the mountain. Been wishing lately I hadn't sold that bike as I currently am left without a rider sitting in a pile of GTR parts...Oh well. Kinda like a sandbox, I guess. ;D
...bert

ziggy stardust

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
I too have pondered on this one, when I attend the national bike shows I see many of the long gone manufacturer's bikes and the ageing enthusiasts who sit by them hoping someone will stop and enthuse with them but sadly it doesn't see to happen especially if the makers name is Scott, Ariel, Jawa, NSU, Panther, James, MZ or Zundapp just as examples. I see these bikes being positioned at the back of a garage or possibly a museum and forgotten about as the owner's become too old to ride and show them any more and with no younger classic bike enthusiasts stepping forward to tell Joe public just how good the MZ whatever MK111 is and why it's so interesting.

I still see there being an interest in the popular makers names that the youth of today can relate to but as parts dry up for the 60s and 70s bikes restorations will finally stall, for me the 80s and 90s bikes just don't seem to have that certain appeal but only time will tell.

Offline rwgibbon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • 1968 BS 350 GTR
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
Steve,

I look at the older bikes like the older cars.

Model T's were once very much sought after.
But now the people who remember them are
few and far between.

I do believe organizations such as VJMC will
help keep the vintage two strooker's alive.

At the Northeast Classic Car Museum the older motorcycle
display is a big hit. In fact next year we are going to expand
the display of these types of motorcycles.

But as it was mentioned in another post, as the parts dry up
so may the restoration of the older motorcycles including
Bridgestone's.

Just my thoughts.

Randy

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
You guys have a good point. Its hard to enthuse (I like Z's verb... ;D) When you are left with a bike you can't finish because no parts exist. So rejoice in the present state of BS, where parts are few, but available.
...bert

Offline dcr

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
Wow – very thought provoking topic Steve.

I could probably write a very long article on my thoughts and reasons for them, but it would be a collection of what a lot of you have already stated in your posts.

The fact that Bridgestone was such a short production run doesn’t help with longevity. Adding in that certain vital parts are a non-existent doesn’t help either. If any of us were 19-26, would we be attracted to the BS brand as restoration projects?

Finding the bike is the easy part. Restoring to “like new” is expensive and in the end, you can easily spend twice the bikes value in getting it to that point. Randy makes a great point in stating the parts supply can certainly drive the interest down quickly. Parts are in existence now, but with certain items being only available by cannibalizing another bike, they are fading fast. Think about the exhausts, fuel tanks, chain guards, side covers, etc. One the last of the center seal and center bearings are gone, engine rebuilds are impossible.
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:37 PM »
Hey guys Lee mentioned the Scott motorcycle if anyone doesn't know  they had a Pre first world war rotary valve two stroke also I think they did a super charged three cylinder two smokers

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
      Leading on from the comments above, I've often wondered how many of our beloved GTR/GTO's are actually still in existence?  (other BS models are available and I may get round to acquiring one in due course  :D ;D :D , 100 tmx, gp or a MachII)

Starting on the basis there were a total of between 9-10,000 built, (we still don't know the exact number).

33 came to the UK in the 60's, I'm only aware of 3-4 that survived, so just over 1 in 10. We don't have the space or climate to keep a lot of stuff!!  Fortunately with the US penchant for hoarding 'stuff' in the back yard (witness American pickers) the survival rate will be higher in the States. We're benefiting from that, could be up to 40-50 now in the UK.

So how many went direct to scrap or are now beyond restoration,  say 30-40% ?  that brings us down to 5-6000. Assuming at least one bike gets cannibalised to restore a second, we're down to 2500 - 3000. I.E, maybe one third of the original number, restored or restorable.
   A very simple approach and only a best guess, what do you think ? Would your feel for and knowledge of US machines support that number. From what I see on the internet, they are still being found in reasonable numbers.  Getting a feel for this total could help in getting those elusive parts re-manufactured.  

Over to you,   Brian.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:57:29 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Sye

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »
I doubt very much if there are more than a thousand or so 350GTRs' still on the road worldwide.

Every time I look on Ebay there are engines and other parts from broken bikes for sale. The desire to restore these great bikes is on a downward trend with just a handful of challenged individuals like us who will put in the time, money, frustration and effort required.

There's a very good chance that the bikes already restored will survive well into the future, (hard to find outer crank bearings and other unobtanium aside) but the more recent finds are destined to be broken up.

Best thing is to hoard as many spares as you can find and cross fingers in hope.
Be nice - feel good

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
I agree with Sye. I would use the number 2 parts bikes per restoration which would drop your nums Brian near Sye's guess. The best bit of advice is to hoard spares which I think all of us are doing.
...bert

Offline srpackrat49

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 10:47:24 AM »
New to me Taka ??????  well i was the high bidder on it.... ;D  Now i need  to find the taka gods for some help......When brigs went out of bis >:(  how many bikes did the rockford dealer get stuck with.... ::)  i had been in there place of biss back in the 60s ::)   Same thing with the Structo toy company.... ;D  my dad worked there back in the 50s.... to see all that stuff sitten there getting dusty and the biss all locked up.....That how all this BS hoard starts 8)  now to bring my new to me find home.

reed

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 08:14:04 PM »
On the subject of Bridgestone motorcycles i hope that the younger generation will take a look at these fine motorcycles!!
And maybe a few more might be built and put on the road etc.
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline srpackrat49

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 07:50:16 PM »
Well i was thinken ;D  If a guy went back to Rockford Ill. and looked up the old store address..... I wounder what he,d find..... Ive been there in the past like 50 years ago..... ??? or would that not be a good part of town to be in..... Any takers  ??? ::)  i woun,t get back to the midwest for another year or 2,,,,,,, i grew up in Freeport Ill.  and its hard to relive the past ::)eyes going,, knees going,,  can,t hear adam thing....tooth-less and old ;D  but i still ride like i stold it.... and i do hit the ton,,, everytime i,m out... 8)

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »
    Hey packrat,   your post reminds me of the line.....'just when I get my head together, my body decides to fall apart' :D. Damn.    Yep, eyes, ears, joints,  many of us can relate to that  ::).

While you're out there doing the ton, think of us, we're there with you.  Keep on 'ridin it like you stole it' for as long as you can. Will join you as soon as we get our GTR/GTOs back in running order.   Maybe 2016.              Brian.

PS. Didn't get much response to how many 350s left. I was thinking of restored or restorable machines left in the world. Like to think it's a few more than a 1000 but you could be right. Many Ebay parts have been on there a long time and may not represent a lot of broken up machines. Agree the trend is downward for many reasons.  ;)  :-X
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:51:01 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline RayK

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
Brian
Re 350 gtrs - in Australia in the late 60s I remember 350s being more common than say Bultaco Metrallas but not as common as Suzuki 250 Hustlers or Yamaha 350s. There were heaps of 175 DTs and 90s and 100s sold between 1967-1968.

Last National VJMC Rally held in Canberra in March 2015 I met a chap whose father had a BS dealership in Inverell (northern NSW) pop. 8,000. He said his dad sold around 300 BS 90 Mountains in 1967-68, mainly to farmers.

I found one statistic: Bridgestone had 7.2% of the Australian motorcycle market in 1967. Bridgestone 350s outsold Yamaha 350s in that year.

Australian delivered 350s only come up now and again, with 175s probably about as often as 90s at regular intervals. Although I suspect that most people are hanging on to any Bridgestones that they have.

Happy New Year
Ray
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:02:56 PM by RayK »
BS 175DT, BS 50 Sport x 1, BS 90 Mountain x 3, BS 90 Deluxe, BS 90 Sport x1, BS 60 Sport, BS 90 Trail, BS100 Sport.

Offline dcr

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »
Every time I look on Ebay there are engines and other parts from broken bikes for sale. The desire to restore these great bikes is on a downward trend with just a handful of challenged individuals like us who will put in the time, money, frustration and effort required.

There is a lot of stuff for sale on eBay and it seems as if 85% of it has been listed multiple times due to not selling or has been on there for a long time with no buyer. Not sure if that has to do with desirability or price too high.
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

Offline srpackrat49

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 07:22:05 PM »
Well i do have a nice 1970 GTO 350 that the last time i tryed to get it to the ton >:( the clutch started to slip.... >:( Dam... i,ll have to watch that.... one of my other bikes ;D a 1993 yamaha 850 TDM... and you brits will like that one... gets there dam quick.... NOw ya got to remember,,,  we got big ass hills out here....like 4k and 5K... :o on this one road when i get to the top.... i put the bike in 0 and coast down hill for over 6 miles with 25 bends to the mile..... 8)... now thats haven fun... come on over and play... i have more bikes...pick and lets go....soon to pick up my new to me 100 TAKA 8)

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
I can relate PackRat. For me its 30 miles up and 30 miles back, Mount Lemon AZ, 2700ft to 9800ft, talk about big hills (we call 'em mountains...;-). I have never counted the curves, but there are a bunch-o-them. Also can't coast the whole way back, but for about the last 7 miles and 3000ft (of drop) you can, and you gotta be on the brake, alot! The last ride I did was on my CB750 cafe with a dual front disc conversion (it would definitely do the ton). Its a balancing act trying to maintain speed without getting too crazy. Some of the most fun rides I've had, and its right out my front door...;-) Can't wait to get my GTR back on the road. ;D
...bert

Gallery

Views:337
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1472
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1806
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1872