Forum > Restoration

1967 Mountain restoration

(1/5) > >>

verygary:
After getting good help on the "tech talk" page I thought I should share my restoration project as I stumble along.  Here is the bike I'm starting with.  Bought it from a fellow member of the VJMC who decided he would never get to it.  He got it in 2010 from the wife of the original owner for helping clean out her garage after he passed away. It's an odd little bike.  Speedometer show 476 miles, last licensed in 1993.  I would guess the speedometer has been replaced but am not sure as the seat, footpeg rubbers, grips etc could be from a very low mileage bike.  What I didn't realize when I bought it was that all the parts that were painted black were originally chrome.  To make matters worse, whoever painted it tried to scratch up the chrome so the paint would stick.  Quite a few of the blue parts, including the gas tank, were repainted at some point with a blue that has a metal flake look.  What's good is that it is an almost complete bike with original parts.  VIN number is 17HO13784.  Efforts to date are mostly taking it apart, cleaning/polishing what's easy and bagging/tagging the parts.  Taking lots of pictures as I go.  Wish me luck.

mqtsteve:
Welcome to the site Gary!  Looks like you got a nice complete project bike.  Good luck, lots of people willing to help here.  Have fun, Steve

rwgibbon:
It sounds like your doing all the right things.

Good luck and enjoy the experience. Take your
time and don't get frustrated.

Randy

verygary:
Well, with the help of the tech forum I pretty much have everything apart. The rear wheel and the motor are in my shop.  I've got what I assume is the original Bridgestone 2.50 -17 Motocross tire off the rim, the spokes out new bearings in.  I'm polishing the hub and tin/zinc plating the spokes and I have new rims as the old ones are rusted beyond salvation.  The condition of the tire suggest the bike may really only have 476 miles on it. I love a bike that I can carry around in the trunk of my Honda Civic and have lots of room left.

Royal Rick:
Hey Gary, where did you get the new rims?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version