Author Topic: Oil Injection Pump Pressure  (Read 2556 times)

Offline davis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
  • Desire for a better world.
Oil Injection Pump Pressure
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the oil pressure range is for normal injection pump operation?

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Oil Injection Pump Pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »
   Hi Bob,
             This might sound daft but the injection pump is not designed to pump oil at high pressure/high volume to the bearings such as you would have on a fourstroke motor.  The only pressure resistance it has to overcome is a very light spring in the check valves on the crankcase. Don't forget this is a total loss oil system with the oil being burnt in the cylinders. It's an oil 'DRIP' pump' rather than an oil 'INJECTION' pump which suggests high pressures.

It gently pushes, rather than pumps, slugs of oil to alternate cylinders via the crank chambers. The only pressure it can produce is generated by a spring at the end of the worm wheel plunger, which slides the plunger back into the oil pump chamber and expels the oil at low pressure, via the distributor, to the crank chambers. The plunger is then retracted by the cam on the worm wheel pushing against 'Rod C', ready for the next stroke. If I remember correctly the oil (or a bubble) moves forward about quarter of an inch in one of the the oil lines for each stroke of the pump. Have a look at a pump cross section in the manual to get a better idea of how it works or better still take a spare one to pieces. They are pretty reliable, I have never heard or read of one failing.

To test one, set it up on a spare side cover with an oil supply, turn the control lever to max and spin the plastic gear. As long as you see a small slug of oil oozing out of alternate outlet unions it should be OK.  

That grey lump under the right carb is a clever piece of kit and its only now, 47 years after I first had GTR that I have got my head round how it works. Would still have to use Graham Weeks' article to set the plunger stroke though.  ;D :D ;D ???  

Brian.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:34:36 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline davis

• Desire for a better world.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:30:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply Brian.

I was searching for a means to make sure the oil pump is in good working order at all times, especially at high rpms, by using a gage. I've got Graham's instructions and will check it out when rebuilding the pump.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline hardy

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »
I rebuilt mine and set it up as per graham weeks instructions, while it was apart I so checked it with a dial gauge (because I had one on my work bench at the time). Spot on.

My 2c.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:49:13 PM »
Hi Bob,
             I see what you're trying to do, can't think of an easy way to achieve that.   
     On the other hand, on the standard factory oil pump setting, a quick glance in the mirrors will tell you that the pump is working. Unlike a fourstroke, and to quote one of our members-  ''If it ain't smoken, it's broken''.  ;D ;D
       Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Gallery

Views:333
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1467
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1801
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1870
Comments (0)