Forum > 350 Talk

350 Generator drive gear

(1/2) > >>

Kenneth Pagel:
I have to remove the drive gear on my 350 GTR generator. It seems the prvious owner did not completely seat the woodruff key in the shaft,as it's sticking up at a bit of an angle, and the gear doesn't seem to be completely covering the  key. For all I know, the key is not the  right one, for I've found many signs of ham-fistedness on the bike. OK, here's the question: Is the bolt that holds the gear to the shaft a standard left-hand thread ("lefty-loosey), or just the opposite? There is nothing in the service manual about this.

Thanks in advance!

moonpup:
It's "lefty-loosey". 

BRT-GTR:
            If you can see any of the key projecting beyond the back of the drive gear then it's highly likely the key and gear are not properly seated on the shaft taper. Exactly what I found on my GTO, gear was 4mm out of position, running skewed and damaged the front bearing in the alternator. Wondered why it was smothered in loctite!!   Must have been built by the same ham-fisted guy ?
        The key was very tight in its slot and unable to swivel to correct position. Simply eased the key on a piece of wet & dry, problem solved. Also put in new alternator bearings. See photo below, black line shows where back of gear shoud have been.
   I also found I could now time the engine with both points opening on timing pin dimples, couldn't before.

Kenneth Pagel:
Great info, BRT-GTR, especially where the gear should be on the shaft. Perhaps it was the same ham-fisted "mechanic"- who knows!

hardy:
When it’s time for re-install, it wouldn’t hurt to lap the gear and shaft tapers together. After all it’s this mating surface that drives the shaft. The keyway is only there to set the timing. The key should be a firm fit inside gear and shaft. As Brian said, the key can be eased to size with a bit of wet and dry.

If your unsure about how far it should go into the taper, install without the key, Mark shaft then repeat.

Post up how you go!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version