Author Topic: Disassembly, Clean Up and Reassembly of my Gold GTO  (Read 13761 times)

Offline Mike Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Disassembly, Clean Up and Reassembly of my Gold GTO
« on: September 26, 2012, 06:03:17 PM »
Hi All,
Thought I would post some pictures showing my gold GTO coming apart to be cleaned up and reassembled a little at a time. The bike is in pretty good original condition, so I am going to try just cleaning all the parts and reassembling without repaint,rechrome etc. Just replacing the necessary cables, seals, rubber parts necessary. I will try to show the parts before and after cleaning also comparing the appearance of some good original chrome parts versus parts which had been plated. Hopefully it will turn out nice and still be an original bike. Wish me luck.
Later Mike

rocketman

Re: Disassembly, Clean Up and Reassembly of my Gold GTO
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:15:18 PM »
 I do wish you luck,it looks like a great project Mike. A lot of people really like the original bikes. One show in lower Pa I frequent has judges that are openly partial to the original unrestored stuff. Your frame looks like a good candidate for a soaking with something not to harsh like WD40 or PBBlaster,etc. After washing it, some good aggressive rubbing compound followed by a coat of wax can do a remarkable job of bringing the original luster back. Even though it will be skinned up a bit here and there, It'll look great when completed. Whats your plan of attack? Mark.

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
Hi Mark,

Just going to take one piece at a time and clean,rub and polish on them. The bike could have been a runner as was, just needed carb work. The cylinders are perfect and everything else looks usable. That being said most likely just seals etc. Probably split cases as that is the only way to properly clean things up. It was stored in a pretty dirty state and you now how that is to remove after 40 plus years. The bike was only ridden one year and put up. Still has the original tires etc. I do not intend to change anything which can be cleaned up. The bike was well oiled up so there is virtually no rust. If you noticed the fender pictures I was trying to show the original undercoating on the rear fender and the difference between original Bridgestone chrome which was only polished in the exposed areas versus what happens when you replate on. I will post more pictures as the project progresses.
Thanks Mike

Offline Mopar5426

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
  I Belive A Unrestored Bike Has More Value Than A Restored Bike    I Restore Cars And Always Try For N O S Parts And If Original Paint Can Be Keept The Value Goes Up   I Have Several GTRs And One Is Original Not Even Cleaned Up   I Had A Buyer Wanting A 350   I Priced Him 5 Different Bikes   My Highest Price Was For The Unrestored  One    He Purchased A Restored One Because It Looked Better And Im Glad He Did   I Want To Keep The Original  Lookinging Forward To Watching Your Clean Up And How You Will Do Some Of The Pieces   Pictures Are Great        Im Working On A 71 Painted Tank White GTO   Post Some Pictures When Assembly Starts     GENE

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
Hi Gene,

Will do, my tank is just about perfect. There is a little pitting on the chrome but it is cleaning up well with aluminum wool and water. I don't think I will need anything done to the tank. I cleaned the inside with evaporust, that is great stuff. If will post a picture of the tank tomorrow after a little more polishing.
Thanks Mike

reed

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »
Mike,
That GTO is going to turn out a really nice, plus i like that Virginia old number plate on the back of the motorcycle!!
Looking forward to more seeing pictures.
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »
Hi Steve,
Thanks, I will post pictures as things get cleaned up. I am going to split the cases because if will make cleanup easier. I don't plan to vapor blast them or tumble the parts. Just going to clean in the normal fashion with solvents etc. Trying to maintain the original look on this bike. Hopefully it will turn out nice.
Later Mike

reed

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:15:06 PM »
Mike,
The GTO rides difference to the GTR i had a go on Rowlands GTO a few weeks ago!!
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:30:01 AM »
Hi All,
Another thing I took note of while cleaning the rear fender is the application of the undercoat. It was applied with a brush, not sprayed on. Kind of interesting. I will post a picture of it, the fender was just washed in the shop sink with soap and water. It is amazing that the company only spent time polishing the part of the fender which was visible and the chrome is not much more than a light flash. It is no wonder that most of the bikes you see before resto are rusty. I feel really fortunate to have this well preserved piece.
Later Mike

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:34:06 AM »
Hi Again,
The set of pictures in the previous post are of the bike before disassembly. The fender photo is of the original fender inside and one of my spare fenders back from the plater inside. There was quite a bit of evidence of the undercoating inside even after plating.
Later Mike

rocketman

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »
 With such a nice complete example Mike, you are already ahead of the game!  Thanks, Mark.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:01:16 PM by rocketman »

rocketman

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »
 I see you found some aluminum wool vs foil. Try a little kerosene with it on something. Mark.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:36:10 PM by rocketman »

Offline steve

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »
Mike...your GTO is fairly similar to how mine was a couple of years ago, it had just a couple of thousand miles on the clock, original tyres etc. The tank on mine though had been replated and repainted. I did pretty much the same as you, by disassembling, cleaning, touching in the frame paint etc. I have to admit, I did get sucked into some replating as nearly all the bolts were very dull, so I excused myself that!. I really enjoyed trying to keep everything as original as possible and I'm sure you will too.
I wish you all the best with it.

Steve

deisher6

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
Mike:
WOW, great looking bike.  Complete with front mudflap!  Were you lucky enough to get a full tool kit too?  Looking forward to see after pictures.
regards charlie

Offline old smokey

tool kit
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
Would the light blue color seen behind the right side cover be the tool kit?
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 09:36:38 PM »
Tool kit is in the black tool box behind the right muffler. The blue part you are seeing behind the side cover is the rectifier.
Thanks Mike
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:39:34 PM by Mike Anderson »

paul

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »
Looks nice. is that a dealer sticker beneath the license plate on the rear fender? Thanks for the photos

ziggy stardust

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 04:40:41 AM »
Good photos Mike, keep em coming.

I can see your way of thought regarding the rebuilding of your GTO, much the way I started with my GTR but I found that after replacing a good number of items or repairing then having to re paint it didn't look right, some really good bits along side shabby 44 year old bits.

That led me to stripping the whole bike down again after I got it running for a full restoration. Let us see which way you go. :)

Bikenstein

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 04:19:44 PM »
Looks great just as it is. :)

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
Bike is going back together. Engine is cleaned up and back together with just new head gaskets, rings and a few other gaskets. Installed battery today after reconnecting all the original wires and everything including the hand brake light worked except for the high beam light. Probably a bulb. I will post some assembly pictures soon.
Later Mike

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1692
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757