Author Topic: My Grandpa's 1967 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler  (Read 17644 times)

Romaine

• Trade Count: (0)
My Grandpa's 1967 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler
« on: September 23, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
Hello All,

I am so glad to be joining this forum - It was a welcome surprise to find this community.

I just wanted to let you all know that I recently acquired my Grandfather's 1967 (I think) BS 175 Hurricane Scrambler.

My grandfather was 74 years old when he died in 1990 (July 10 - which oddly enough was the date of my heart attack this year)..  Anyway I digress..

My grandfather bought this motorcycle sometime in the 1980's to ride around and run errands and to ride out to a small lake to go fishing. I was in  my teens and I recall him riding the motorcycle well into hid early 70's..

The motorcycle was sold to a local friend / neighbor either right before his death or right after (we are not sure - nobody can remember the details that far back).  The neighbor parked the motorcycle in his barn - and at the time the bike did not run (or had an intermittent issue - not sure). His sons (two of them) were not interested in it and the daughters did not either (my mother always worried he was going to kill himself).. I was too young (17 or 18 too lay a claim to it - and it was sold before I even knew it was gone).

About 7 to 10 years ago, I contacted the neighbor to see if I could buy the motorcycle back. I had been interested in owning something of my grandfathers and that little red bike interested me. The neighbor refused and I tried again a few years ago but to no avail. It seemed odd that he (the neighbor) would not let it go as I was told it just sat in the barn since the day it was sold to him..

Fast forward to this year and I found out that the neighbor had passed away –after a proper period of grievance – I contacted the widow (another long time friend of the family) and she agreed to sell the bike back to me.  To her knowledge (and her son’s) the bike never left the barn, never had ran and for all that they know never had neither a title nor a license plate (I haven’t traced the registration yet – that will be a project for next summer).

Once I figure out how to post pictures - I will - Maybe I will have to submit them through the Gallery...

Romaine

Re: My Grandpa's 1967 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
Here is one after the initial Clean up..

Romaine

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:22:27 PM »
Currently the bike is in my garage and I plan on reading through the articles, the forums, the clymer manual to learn everything I can..

I have not developed a plan of action yet - However I know it will not be until late Spring before I get at it. I am still deciding on how much of a resto must be done.. I am thinking down to the frame - but I also don't want to lose the nostalgia aspect of this bike. I am excited to know that four generations (my grandfather, father, me and my daughter / son) will be able to say we rode it..

I am initially thinking seat cover, taillight, rear pegs, front pegs, brakes & clutch lever wires (damaged levers also), and whatever else is damaged (tires)...

I would like to locate some tank emblems too - but then at that point I need to think about paint - which I am not opposed to - just need to think through that and maybe ask the family (aunts and uncles) - so they feel apart of the process. I would think this would go over well at vintage/classis motorcycle shows - I saw no BS at the show I went to this weekend..

grundlegrabber

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:52:11 PM »
Welcome to the site! That's a great story, so cool that you were able to get the bike back after so many years. Hang on to it and pass it down to your kids someday. That one actually looks to be in pretty good shape! Bridgestones are great bikes. You will find all of the information you need here, lots of helpful people. Personally I would start with cleaning it up good, replacing all the rubber stuff, go through the fuel system, replace the seat cover (try pit replica on ebay) and get it up and running. Decide on the paint and stuff afterward. I always prefer to leave them original if the finish isn't too bad, especially since this one has family history. You can always do a full restore later, and it will be easier if you already have a running and functional bike to start with. Besides, the original paint is costly and difficult to replicate properly. Although there seems to be a fair ammount of Bridgestones out there, I seldom see them at local or regional shows & events. When you roll up on one, you will find that many people had no idea that Bridgestone ever made motorcycles! Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:53:09 PM by grundlegrabber »

Offline bsforever

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:20:28 PM »
Welcome to the site Romaine, thanks for posting the photos and congrats on obtaining your grandfathers bike. This is the site for anything you might encounter for your Bridgestone resto. Richard ( owner of this site ) will more than likely have any parts you would need and have members here that are very knowledgeable with the Stones. Good luck to you when you begin the resto.  :)

Romaine

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »

When you roll up on one, you will find that man people had no idea that Bridgestone ever made motorcycles! Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress

It's sorta funny about the Bridgestone being a bike no one recognizes... A few years ago when I was trying to purchase the bike back I wasn't quite sure what brand it was - I just could remember the knee pads on the tank and the chrome on the tank.. My uncle (his son) couldn't remember either... It wasn't until I located some picture off the web that I recognized the Hurricane Scrambler to be the bike he owned..  Even when I talked to the widow - she wasn't sure of the brand either.. although after I talked to her the second time - she stated it was a bridgestone - because it was stamped on the seat...

The design elements of the fuel tank, headlight, the dual scrambler pipes and the flat seat profile make it a visually charming bike... I would venture it does well at vintage Jap / English shows..

gootie

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
Romaine that rig is what I had for my last 3 years of HS.I put about 20K on it including winter driving to school. My future brother inlaw took it over and at around 50K the rear brake strap came off. It was lost from there. Those bikes would challenge the 300 Honda superhawk. I recall using a rear sprocket that had 4 more teeth than stock and overall performance was enhanced especially when occupied by rider and some willing young lady. I won't be much help with resto.as I haven't had any cycle since 1974. I would appreciate an update as you get it running.
Bob Guttenberg
Madison,WI

Romaine

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
Thanks Gootie!

I will keep everyone updated - with pics too. Right now, I am contemplating getting the rust out of the tank - replacing brake, clutch and throttle cables - and soaking the engine down with some oil.. I have kicked the engine over so I know it is free but thats it - just a small kick - I don't want to scratch the cyclinder walls since it sat for 20 years..

I did spray WD40 all over the surface rust and I am storing it in my garage... The main thing is to keep it from getting worse over the next few months then getting it running.. My one worry is the electrical components..

I can't wait to ride it!

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757