Author Topic: New To Forum . . . Got A Question  (Read 2714 times)

stone Man

• Trade Count: (0)
New To Forum . . . Got A Question
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:17:49 PM »
New to the forum and really glad I found it. Hope to share what I know and learn what I can from others here. I spend some time on the SOHC Four forum where I've picked up a lot of great info.

My son and I are working on a '67 350 GTR and have been wondering about the transmission fluid view window on the right crank case cover. A PO had used silicone to seal it up but it was weeping oil nonetheless. We have removed it and cleaned it up but are wondering just how it is supposed to go back in. The viewing window, rubber/plastic surround and maltese cross looking white plastic part are all there. It will push in place and while a decent fit, it certainly won't prevent tranny fluid from leaking out.

So what's the trick? Has the rubber/plastic possibly shrunk over the years? Is there another piece missing? Was it originally set in place with a sealer of some kind? Toward the back edge of the black rubber/plastic surround, there's a slight groove so wondering if maybe an "o" ring might go there?

We picked this bike up last fall after it had sat since '84, or at least that's what the license plate read. Got her running decently without much trouble at all. Spent the winter months cleaning up the chrome as best we could, but it's pitted pretty bad.

One I get more registration info up I'll post a picture.

Thanks for any help on how that little round window is supposed to go in.

Offline Richard Clark BS parts

• Administrator
    • Bridgestone Motorcycle Discussion Board
Re: New To Forum . . . Got A Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:52:41 PM »
Great to have you aboard the new BS site.

About your question:  Fluid level view windows:

These are located on the oil tank of most BS models and a smaller one is located on the BS 350 clutch cover.

These were a cool idea.  Problems today, age has usually shrunk the rubber around the glass viewer, therefore
the rubber either "pulls" away from the tank or case, causing a leak.  Sometimes one can "reglue" these rubber
gauges.

We have used this method:  Clean gauge, tank or case with hot soapy water, make sure
it is VERY clean.   Apply a film of Permatex Form-a-Gasket #1  to both the edge of gauge
and area where it fits in the tank or case.  Install gauge, let it sit and harden for a few days.

If the gauge as shrunk too much to hold tight, or leaks through the window itself, get a new one, we do have them in stock

I will post this information in the TIPS from Richard section of the TECH TALK Board, and delete this winded reply shortly

Hope this helps
Richard Clark
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:15:00 PM by Richard Clark BS parts »
Richard  Clark, Owner and provider of this site
BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLE PARTS
New Albany IN

BS Shopping Cart- With just a few of my BS parts

https://6x6parts.com/bridgestone_motorcycle_parts/

Thanks
Richard Clark

bsparts@aye.net

stone Man

Re: New To Forum . . . Got A Question
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply Richard. Helpful information. The oil gauge view window that's a problem for me is the one on the clutch case, as you describe, not the larger one on the engine oil tank. With that in mind, do you have the gauge window for the smaller, lower one in stock? I'd rather replace if possible.

stone Man

Re: New To Forum . . . Got A Question: Update
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »
I may have come across a simple solution-- time will tell.

The rubber gasket that holds the viewing window for the transmission oil level has a small groove near the back of the gasket circumference. This evening I installed an "O" ring, sized 5/8 od, 1/2 id, 1/16" wall, in the groove. Before installing, I warmed the assembly up and made sure the "O" ring was well seated in the groove. I then carefully pushed it in place. It took three tries, with the first two attempts forcing the "O" ring out of the groove. On the last attempt, I set one side of the gasket with the "O" ring just inside the channel it pushes into, then eased the rest of the "O" ring in the channel then pushed it on home.

Then I warmed the engine, no leaks. Then went for a short drive-- it's sleeting for god's sake-- and no leaks upon return or 30 minutes later. Time will tell if this is a longer term solution, but so far, so good.

If leaks develop over time, I'll update this post again.

Gallery

Views:2952
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4095
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:4400
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:4434
Comments (0)