Author Topic: 350 GTR air filter foam addition  (Read 8463 times)

Offline Sye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
350 GTR air filter foam addition
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:53:48 AM »
I'm a bit confused about the addition of the foam to the stock air filter mesh? The instructions and pictures that I have seen show the additional foam on the underside of the wire mesh when installed on the bike. As I understand it, the idea of the additional foam is to stop the flock material being drawn into the engine when it inevitably falls to bits and any other small particles? If the foam is placed on the underside of the wire mesh then the flock is on the carb side and will still be drawn into the engine.

Would it not be better to add the foam to the top of the air filter when installed as this would stop anything getting past the wire filter and flock? It would also be less likely to be saturated with water if it's ridden in the rain or when washed.
Be nice - feel good

Colin

Re: 350 GTR air filter foam addition
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:16:47 AM »
Sye,
I live in Scotland and where I live is not a dusty area and I don't ever see me using my GTR on the salted winter roads so I chose not to fit extra filter material. It's probably just down to choice for most people whether to fit extra or not, however I will monitor the inside of those outer cases where the carbs are fitted and if I find it's getting dusty or gritty in there then I will fit extra filtration in the form of foam filters and it will be where the case joins to the large filter box, in other words 2 separate filters, make a shim up in the shape of that hole and glue some mesh onto it then some foam, sorry I can't do you a diagram as it's all in the development stages but I'd reckon you know what I mean.
Regards Colin.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
lf you look in my gallery you will see how I got round this.

Z
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:57:37 AM by ziggy stardust »

Offline Tom Meadows

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
The safest approach is to scrape off all the factory foam, since no matter how good it is, it will in time turn to foam bits and dust and get sucked into the motor. Then a piece of foam installed on the outside of the mesh will solve the problem.

I never understood why Bridgestone put the foam on the inside in any event, as the direction of air flow would tend to pull it off the mesh and into the carbs. This would happen even it it didn't deteriorate and break down  as we have learned they all did.

Cheers,

Tom. 

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
Maybe they considered it a fuel additive. ::)

...bert

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
     I think BS were looking for a cheap, quick, easy fix when they glued the foam to the inside of the mesh. The first GTRs off the line had two separate filters fitted between the airbox and the carb covers as Colin's suggestion above. However, the element was some form of metal wool which often broke up and got sucked into the engine.
This together with failing crank cheek seals (came loose and broke up), generated a significant number of wrecked engines and warranty claims. They had to do something and quick, it was costing them a lot of money. Below is the only picture I've ever found of the original filters.

Personally, I would never dream of running a GTR engine without filter foam fitted to the outside of the airbox as Z's solutions above. Those chrome bores need all the help they can get by keeping the dust out. There is an early post on the site from RC, concerning the importance of properly sealing the air intake system to extend engine life. Will put up a link when I find it. The addition, by the Japanese manufacturers, of effective air intake filtration to bike engines is one of the reasons for the improved reliability and durability they achieved.
Brian

Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »
Hi All,
         As promised above here is the link to the post by RC, I referred to :-

http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=421.0

100,00miles, ???, I wish,  Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Harry

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
Brian,  Thanks for the link.  I did the same thing with my 67 GTR and it works great. Harry

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)