Author Topic: Front suspension outer tube nut  (Read 4122 times)

verygary

• Trade Count: (0)
Front suspension outer tube nut
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »
Hope my nomenclature is right but that page of my parts manual is pretty blurred and my 69 year old eyes aren't what they used to be. The part I'm talking about is the chrome (unless a previous owner tried to cover up the rust by scratching the chrome and painting it black), threaded piece between the inner and outer tubes. The manual suggests that there is a piece called a slide bushing inside the nut that looks like it should come out the bottom.  I've tapped gently from the top but see no movement.  Before I go to a bigger hammer I thought I'd check with you folks.  Also, it appears there's a 33mm O ring between the bushing and the oil seal; is that right?  Finally, does anyone know if that part can be re-chromed without messing up those really fine threads on the inside?

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Front suspension outer tube nut
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:15:58 PM »
http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=82

Here's a link to the 90-100 parts manual. If you download the PDF file you will be able to view the manual on your computer andnot deal with fading and staining making it hard to see the parts.

...bert

verygary

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »
Thanks Bert, I think slide bushing is the right name for the part I would like to remove.  Do you know if they can be removed safely and if so how?
Thanks, Gary
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:26:11 PM by verygary »

Offline RayK

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:56:33 AM »
Hi Gary
65 year old Aussie here. Yes you can re-chrome the fork nuts. You have to remove the O ring and seal first. I use a bearing puller (through type) that fits neatly on the seal. Go gently though.
Good luck
Ray
BS 175DT, BS 50 Sport x 1, BS 90 Mountain x 3, BS 90 Deluxe, BS 90 Sport x1, BS 60 Sport, BS 90 Trail, BS100 Sport.

verygary

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies but I'm still uncertain as to whether, and if so, how, the slide bushing comes out of the fork nut. It wobbles slightly inside the fork nut but doesn't seem to want to come out.  Diagram makes it look like the O ring sits on top of the bushing and presses against the oil seal.  I have the seals out but no sign of the O ring so I'm gussing it's sitting on top of the slide bushing and below that lip the seal sits on, so I can't get to it unless I remove the bushing.  Hope this makes sense.
Gary

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »
The "slide bushing" should just push or pull out of the seal holder. There's nothing to hold it in. IN my experience, the bushings often remain in the top of the lower fork tube when you lift off the seal holder. There may be a burr on it somewhere that is hanging it up inside the holder. There is (I think) an extra O-ring seal inside the holder that sits above the threaded section to stop oilo creeping out along the threads. It is possible that the O-ring is causing the hang-up.

To aid gripping the bushing, I'd think along the lines of a large expanding bolt (or a suitable piece of rubber pipe with a smaller expanding bolt in the centre) to give you something too grip onto.

Hope that helps.

Graham 

verygary

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »
SUCCESS!  Thanks to all that helped, especially Graham's clear assurance that the bushing comes out the bottom and should just slip out, no hidden snap rings or anything.  With that confidence I used a 21mm socket which is smaller than the lip the oil seal sits on, but larger than the top edge of the bushing that shows below the lip, I beat on it harder than I'm comfortable with on a hard to replace part.. and it finally dropped out.  Must have been frozen from sitting so many years  Both bushings were equally frozen which is why I was afraid to beat on them too hard since I was unsure how they were constructed.  Also, for anyone that needs to know, there is an o ring seated in a groove in the fork nut near the top of the bushing.  Onward....

Allan Holmes

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »
Hi, mine name is Allan Holmes and live in Victoria BC Canada. I was given a 1966 Bridgestone 90 mountain bike and do some restoration on it. I have front shocks with that tapered chrome pice no them. Can you tell how they come apart or web site that explains  the process to do it. I'm new to this site and not very good at getting to use different posts and looking things up. So if you can help any way would be great.  My email address is skinny155@gmail.com  Thanks for your time.   Allan

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
Here's a thread on removing those nuts: http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=2499.msg10559#msg10559

Generally it comes down to a strap wrench or hose clamp will probably work.  I've used both and also clamped the nut in a vise with soft jaws, then turned the fork out of it.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Gallery

Views:332
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1466
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1800
Comments (0)