Author Topic: oil pump bleeding and neutral light switch  (Read 1984 times)

Offline mrjones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
oil pump bleeding and neutral light switch
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »
hello again from the uk, i still havnt got my 350 gtr running but  before i try (again!) i have a couple of problems to sort out 1. i cant get the oil pump to bleed i have left it overnight with the screw out and yes the oil is going to the pump but not through it, any ideas?

2. my neutral /5th gear switch is in pieces and i have heard you cant get a new one i could get a blanking off plate  for it but i would like to have the lights working , is there a part from another bike that would fit or could be made to fit? even from another manufacturer ?

Offline hardy

Re: oil pump bleeding and neutral light switch
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
Try this thread, will answer all your oil pump bleed questions! But in short, it's not a two stroke oil bleed screw like I also thought.

As far as the neutral switch goes? Can anyone else answer?

Hardy

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:09:58 PM »
My solution to the gear indicator was to clean the pieces by a good long boil in soapy water.  Then with the pieces completely degreased, I glued them back together with epoxy. 

The plastic and epoxy seem to make a good solid bond, and the switch has now held up for several years.  If you need to solder the wires onto the switch terminals, make sure you do it first so you don't risk overheating the epoxy.  Don't overtighten the screws or you'll break it again!  I used a bit of sealant on the gasket to get a good oil seal without having to tighten the screws too tight.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »
              Marcus,
                   The oil pump system cannot be bled with a static engine.  Fill the two outlet tubes from an oil can before connecting to the pump but you still end up with air in the lines. Then, with your engine  running, manually turn the pump to max and the lines should bleed themselves.

My oil lines are slightly oversize (previous owner), when bleeding them, the air is able to run back up the tubes to the high point. But as I can see slugs of oil are being pushed into the engine, I am am not going to worry about it. They may clear themselves when the bike is ridden.
            Brian.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:48:43 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline mrjones

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »
 Thanks Hardy but you didnt put a link to follow, although from what Brian says maybe i will wait until i get it running! its been a while since i also have a Kettle/waterbuffalow/gt750 that i have had  problems with (gearbox/top end) and i have been riding my other bikes! uk summer dontchaknow!! 

since i first asked for advice from here  i have bought a set of used carbs had them ultrasonically cleaned fitted them checked timing ,disc valve position,fuel supply still wont start! my next step is easi-start!
   Marcus

Offline hardy

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »
        Marcus,
                        Have you got the choke plungers working ?  Very difficult to start engine without this function.   Also, carb slides should be just over 4mm open at tickover, if you have lost the settings.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline mrjones

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »
 yes as far as i can tell the plungers are working, they are not seized in place and the choke cable moves when i turn the lever, i was thinking of getting new pilot jets as this has helped on other bikes ive had , are the carbs Amal or Mikuni? does it matter as long as they are Vm 26 sc?

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
The carbs are Mikuni. The idle jets also are specific to the older Mikunis.  Here's a useful thread from one of our members (no longer with us  :( ) that is very useful overall that mentions the idle jets: http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?topic=4020.msg22688#msg22688
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1691
Comments (0)