Author Topic: Do I have the correct condensers?  (Read 3288 times)

Romaine

• Trade Count: (0)
Do I have the correct condensers?
« on: September 17, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »
Any help on this situation is appreciated.

I was able to get my HS175 started - YEAH!  - but only on the right cylinder. I dont believe the left cylinder is sparking (spark plug out - grounded- no spark).

I have a new battery, new wiring harness, new coil, new spark plug, new points... BUT old condenser.

This is the diagram I used to order points and condensers (pic #1) - I ordered Condenser Double Unit – (1753-8000)   two wires per condenser   

I received this (pic #2)

but what I pulled out looks like the diagram (two wires each condenser - black and white) pic #3

- what I received is one wire (green and black) on each condenser and the hookup (the top tines) is backwards..

Did I get the correct part? Am I missing something here? anyone else have this issue?

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Do I have the correct condensers?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »
It does not look like the correct part. BS condensers usually come with no wires attached. They have 2 sets of tabs per side to hold the wires and to solder the striped wire ends onto. That said other condensers can work. I attach the black and white wires directly to the points and use automotive condensers wired to the coils under the tank. To do this you need to figure out a mounting point for the condensers and their brackets with enough clearance to avoid the tank, and a way to properly ground the body of the condensers. GM condensers have the same specs as the BS parts (think 60's vintage Chevy ignitions) so they work fine. I drilled a small hole in the frame tube close to each coil and used self-tapping screws to be sure to get some bite in the hole to create a good ground. Either approach will work well (stock or automotive). You may be able to get the part you have to work, but you will need to figure out how to attach the second wire.  ;D
...bert
Forgot to mention that I also used star washers under the screw heads on my automotive coil setup...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 05:55:43 PM by slawsonb »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 05:12:31 PM »
           Sorry. that condenser unit will not fit in the BS dynamo. The clip for the felt cam pad/ mounting bracket is the wrong way up. Probably off one of the Kawasaki models. But you will find  similar units on Ebay or the internet with the mounting bracket, the right way up for a BS. Usually have to visually check that it does match the one on your bike.  Bert's solution above would allow you to use the new condenser you have.
       They usually come with one wire attached for the connection to the points. , you have to solder the black/white incoming leads from the coils on your bike to the top of each condenser. Just make sure the white wire goes to the left condenser and is then linked to the left point, black lead to the right condenser etc.

Hope that helps, Brian
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Romaine

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:11:27 PM »
Ok then.. I have a show tomorrow - so I am willing to try anything.. (I'll order the correct one later and give this a shot)

Not sure where in the coil wires to run - I get the black and White - but splice before the Dynamo? - confused..

And I dont have electrical solder - Im out..

Or

Will this work? - both white / white to the Point and black / black to the other point?

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
Yep, electrically it does not matter where you make the connection (well technically the resistance will be slightly different (very slightly), so go for it. Nice solution.
...bert
Isn't there some green in there somewhere?? ??? ;D ???
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:27:24 PM by slawsonb »

Romaine

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 12:24:10 AM »
Good Eye Bert! The new (incorrect) condenser had a green wire from one side and a black wire from the other.. I assumed green to white..

It worked! - I started it up and it ran and idled... I called my Mother and told her I got her Dad's motorcycle running (after 25 years) - she cried and so did I..

Thanks for the help on this one Bert and Brian.. I wasn't sure what to do - bringing it to a small vintage cycle show tomorrow..  and that was my deadline to try and have it running..

I'll update the build thread after I get some more pics and time to process.

Thanks again guys!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:26:38 AM by Romaine »

Romaine

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 12:25:35 AM »
 Also - still have some issues - will do a search on one side hotter than the other - after starting, the left side got real hot real quick..  timing?

Im just happy it fired up..  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:29:11 AM by Romaine »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »
         Great job, they did fit !!  but upside down. We've all learned something.  Can imagine the grin on your face when she fired up. Don't know why BS didn't wire the condensers/points like you have done, in the first place. Makes future condenser swap dead simple.

Hot cylinder could be due to timing, wrong spark plugs or running weak on that side, give the carb a clean and check the float level.
Good luck at the show, Brian.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:50:37 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline hardy

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 05:48:12 AM »
Congrats on getting her running.

Hot side could be a number of things, start with basics and work foward! I found my bs350 to do the same when I received it, turned out to be a blocked muffler...

Ryan

Offline hardy

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 07:41:24 AM »
I also noticed you have some new tank badges there? Any chance of letting me know where you got them from?

Ryan

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 12:20:51 PM »
Good luck at the show today! Looking forward to a good result!
...bert

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 09:32:50 PM »
nice I have which look the same condensers I think from kz650

Gallery

Views:220
Comments (0)
By: Jon West