Forum > How To

New VIN tags

(1/1)

dcr:
Anyone have info on getting a replacement VIN tag made? I took my 90 Sport frame to get blasted with explicit instructions to NOT blast around the plate. I got what i deserved for being lazy and not taking it off. They blasted it beyond recognition.

Mopar5426:
   I Recintly Junked A Bunch Of 90 Sport Frames  If You Want  A Tag Ill Drill One Off   The Number Will Not Match   But It Says B S 90 Sport Ill Send It To Ya   Maybe I Got A Close # To Your Motor    GENE

Toystoretom:
Manufacturing a new VIN plate is probably against the law in most states. Re stamping VIN's into frames or re stamping engine numbers will earn you a visit from the Highway Patrol. Years of biker trash stealing Harleys and grinding off the numbers and re stamping them have made the laws very strict.

You might get your state to issue a you a State issued VIN plate with a State issued VIN. It won't be anything close to the stock Bridgestone VIN plate and you will probably have to re title your bike as a "Special Construction".

You could also buy another Sport 90 that has a plate and a title and build a bike using that frame. If you drill the rivets out and transfer the VIN plate you will get another visit from the Highway Patrol. They can spot new rivets a mile away.

The Highway Patrol hates messing with stolen bikes and VIN issues. It is a giant waste of their time. This isn't their first day either. Their motto is "When in doubt, file charges and confiscate the bike).

After you get out of the big house and have all sorts of new tatoos that Bubba has carved into you, you will realize that this guy that bead blasted your VIN plate has for all intents and purposes destroyed your bike. He needs to pay you damages... ie what the bike is worth plus your trouble in finding a lawyer, court costs and so on.

I am a licensed Missouri Motor Vehicle inspector and see this more than you would think. I wouldn't put another penny into a bike with an altered or missing VIN plate. Bridgestones are weird in that the VIN number on the plate and the number stamped into the steering head do not match, which makes the VIN plate even more important.

In some states you can get an Antique title so you should check on that where you live. I would think you would still need a VIN plate..

Tomo

dcr:
That would be awesome. You got any 18E's ??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version