Author Topic: What did you do to your Bridgestone today?  (Read 13976 times)

Romaine

• Trade Count: (0)
What did you do to your Bridgestone today?
« on: October 16, 2013, 12:05:25 AM »
I pulled it out of the garage and put wd40 on the rusty spots..

Ordered a set of foot pegs off eBay (sorry Richard - it was an impulse buy)

Its gonna be a long Winter..

(Chime and and update what you did to your Bridgestone)

Offline bsracer

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: What did you do to your Bridgestone today?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
It wasn't today, but I raced my 175 at Barber Motorsports in Birmingham AL over the weekend in the 200 and 250 classes. Not running as fast as I wanted, however the bike ran pretty good with a new undercut gearbox.

paul

Offline Mike Anderson

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
Been stringing up front and rear wheels for my GTR showbike project. Lots of fun. Pictures soon.
Later Mike

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
Hey Mike, redoing my wheels is a task in front of me. I do not have any previous experience with respoking and truing, so was wondering if you had a pointer to any good "how to" info. Thanks...
...bert

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:10:39 PM »
Not really. First thing is a good assembly and truing stand. Steve Reed is the best advisor I know. The main thing is putting it together the way it came apart and then just adjust till running true. Good luck
Later Mike

reed

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
I am doing another GTR Bridgestone, plus i have just picked up a 1966 Triumph 650 120R that i am going to build it came with a sad story! it need to be finished etc.
Thanks.
Steve.   

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 02:38:15 AM »
Bert
ray k  gave me a hodaka pamphlet on trueing and lacing it comes in very handy .  cheers

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »
Thanks for the lead Coxy!
...bert

Offline Mopar5426

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »
  I Tore Apart 2 100 TAKAs   The Frame Was Broke One 1   The Other Looks Good  Blasted & Primed The Frame & Swing Arm Tonight    Don't See A Lot Of Them Fixed Up So Had To Have One    GENE

Romaine

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:53 PM »
Bought a Bridgestone 175 Dual Twin Technical Handbook off of EBAY!!

Its gonna be a long Winter..

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
Hi Gene,
Nice to see another Bridgestone member building a Taka. I think most people miss the Taka's neat factor. It is my favorite bike next to my SR-100. They are great to ride around county roads etc. Actually set up like a big bike and are comfortable to ride. Good luck with it.
Later Mike

Romaine

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 06:40:48 PM »
Bought 2 cans of Fluid film and sprayed down the 175 HS - I heard this product was much better than WD40 - and then I moved it to my outdoor shed for storage... I dont want anymore rust..

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Just waiting for Spring...

Redrust

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 10:57:02 PM »
I got through a bit of wiring and reinstalled my cleaned up points. Added a little premix to the carbs and got it to kick over. Ran for about 20 seconds till it ran dry. Hearing that thing run made all the work worth it and makes me excited for when I get it ready to ride in the summer.

scoot

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
I just acquired a step thru homer,sprayed it down with wd 40 pulled the side cover off kick start side .The kick start shaft is broke off right outside of case .The inside looks real clean turns over with compression .Pulled plug out cleaned.Meanwhile battery has been on charge and to my surprise it charged up 80 % .Sprayed wd 40 in cylinder to lube a little installed battery, put vise grips on kick start shaft turned key on horn works green light on speedo works so I put a little cap full of gas oil mix in jug and quickly put plug and wire on and when I went to turn it over to see if I could get a putter of any sort I accidently hit the rear brake pedal shorting the 1 amp fuse and I don't have another laying around.So I,ll try again tomorrow.Kinda wanna restore this old bike 400 original miles but its pretty solid.I,ll have to get new rims and spokes,handle bars,seat recovered and paint if the motor runs that is.Im glad I found this sight and look forward to asking advice and any input.This little scooter has been sitting outside a house for years leaning against the air conditioner stand and the lady finally gave it to me the third time ask over a period of three years.I ordered a few parts off ebay before I found this sight so from here out I will get ahold of Richard for further parts.Thanks for having me Richard's relics and members.

Redrust

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 07:12:01 PM »

got it to kick over fairly good last night but it didn't idle for long. this is how it runs every time i get it started but with no idle. any suggestions on things to look for. i should be getting some time in on it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:37:25 PM by Redrust »

grundlegrabber

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »
Finally got my 350 GTO started today. Have been working out some details and last thing to do was get a battery rigged up and put the left muffler back on. Got the fuel system primed with 2 stroke mix and it fired 3rd kick. Seems to run very well but there are some issues:

1) In trying to get the injector system primed up, it looks like I have good flow to the left cylinder (regular pulse of oil through the line until it reached the cylinder), but the right cylinder is looking suspicious. There were air bubbles in the line as the oil was flowing up, and although the line to the right cylinder is shorter, the oil still has not reached the cylinder yet. Any thoughts anyone?

2) The clutch is not working right. Cable was very stiff, I lubed it, but clutch action still slow. Going to have to take things apart and see whats going on. When I let the clutch out, it takes a second or 2 before it starts to grab. When it grabs, the bike will just stall, as if it's in fifth gear or something. What is the shift pattern on these? Wasn't sure if it's all down or all up or what.

3) Headlight still doesn't work. Tested bulb and it's good, no power on the wire from ignition switch to headlight switch. Not sure why.

Link to youtube vid: 

duckman86

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 02:49:58 AM »
I ordered more stainless bolts for my 175/200 (haven't decided what engine to use yet) and polished more stuff.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »

2) The clutch is not working right. Cable was very stiff, I lubed it, but clutch action still slow. Going to have to take things apart and see whats going on. When I let the clutch out, it takes a second or 2 before it starts to grab. When it grabs, the bike will just stall, as if it's in fifth gear or something. What is the shift pattern on these? Wasn't sure if it's all down or all up or what.

grundlegrabber, the shift pattern is 6 down (to upshift). Also see page 31 of the manual. Start with the trans in neutral (as many ups as it takes to get there) and then you should find the 6 down pattern working.

...bert

Offline dcr

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »
It seems like all I do is clean 40 years worth of dirt, grease and other accumulated filth off of part after part. I cant wait to actually start putting clean parts together rather than taking dirty stuff apart.

I actually did start painting the frame, swing arm, headlight bucket and fork covers. My OCD has me wet sanding off 90% of the paint i put on.
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

duckman86

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 02:26:10 AM »
I know exactly how you feel dcr! I decided to have someone powder coat everything this time around after my 90 took me a year and a half to paint. So much easier just to bolt everything together and it's seems a lot tougher.

Gallery

Views:330
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1465
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1799
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1868
Comments (0)