Author Topic: american pickers  (Read 14183 times)

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
american pickers
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
hi all i remember some one saying there was a bridgestone on this show .i watched the show for the first time 2 episodes this week the first show was the best looking weather vein i have ever seen a 1915 harley complete madness i think . they also found a 1967 Bonneville  covered in dust they bought it for $3500 what a bargain! at the end of the show he kicked it over and away she went how lucky is that .it just goes to prove one mans junk is another mans treasure. i am now recording every   episode hoping to see that bs what a great show even my wife likes it and that's saying something  .

theBSer

Re: american pickers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
I've heard about this episode and have been watching in hopes to see it myself

Sno Jet

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
I believe I saw that episode.  I don't think they buy it or say much about it as I recall.  A bit disappointing!  I can't remember the model but its a smaller cc.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:35:51 PM »
I saw that episode, they did the BS World, no favors, in fact they outright lied  >:(

They said "No good, can not get parts for them"  and they just walked away.

That is why I now call them  AMERICAN NOSE PICKERS, as they did not tell the truth, as we all know there are LOTS of parts for stones.

Jeff Bar

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »
 that's a bit disappointing 

Offline BS Mechanic

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
Maybe it's OK for us insiders.  Maybe we don't want the rest of the world to know it's easier to get most parts for Stones than it is for old Honda's etc. ;D 

just kidding

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »
If you watch good ole American Pickers you will notice that they will walk right by some really cool stuff that I would probably spring for and they will go to a pile of crap and buy that. I think a lot of what they they bid on has to do with a story line on the object, something that touches a larger group of people than say a Bridgestone motorcycle. They are just trying to appeal to a broad base.

I'd like to see the flip side, when they sell this stuff. They always seem to display a little spread sheet showing that they made at least a little money on what they bought, but I can't believe they actually get the big bucks on some of that stuff. Maybe I'm wrong and need to start cleaning out my garage  ;D.

I watch every one of those goofy shows, it's my favorite. I set up the DVR and record them as they are aired then me and the wife watch the ones we haven't seen on Friday nights. I know... get a life  :D
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

reed

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:31:39 PM »
Tom
Do you watch Top gear BBCA!
That's one of my favorites.
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 05:21:28 AM »
how about this for some food for thought .the only show i have seen about bike restoration was called a bike is born the show was good but it still didn't go into every detail .now i know there are some gun restorers out there has anyone thought of making a show about restoration (in detail) it wouldn't have to be just about bridgestone but bikes in general .i know i would watch something like this and i am sure thousands of others would  it could be fun and might make some money as well

mcseitz

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:46 AM »
I think I'm the guy who first mentioned the show. The bike was a 175 and they spent a scant 15-20 seconds on the topic. But even bad publicity can be good publicity. The good part is that one tiny scene was all it took to get me started refurbishing my old Bridgestone for my sons.

I like the show because they depict real people in real places. But the rest is highly scripted, they wouldn't  otherwise cover their gas money with the typical small assortment of purchases on most episodes. 

drtracr

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »
I tried to pitch my project to the networks and couldn't even get a response.
My idea of course is taking a 1967 motorcycle, rebuild it, modify it and break a modern day speed record. Withall the traails and tribulations that go with it.
I thought it would have been a good show, covering all the people that have helped as well.
JM

Offline bsracer

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:31:19 AM »
I find those shows entertaining but a little unrealistic. It's like when you go to the swapmeet and someone selling something says "but I saw one sell on Ebay for $$$". The Vespa they bought for $5000 needed so much work and many of those parts are very hard to track down.

paul

eeibell

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »
I own the Bridgestone 175 that was on the show... It will be for sale at this years Barber Vintage days in Birmingham Alabama

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »
Hi Eric,

Good luck at the Barber VD's, but before you sell it... got any interesting stories on the bike?
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline srpackrat49

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »
Well for one thing ;D  i was on the phone with them a week or so ago for about 45 min.  the guy said i had about 90% of the stuff there looking for :o  Fine come on over ::)   i even went out and got another 35 beer signs to hang up.... and i said to them that i had 4 or 5 bikes to ride ::) pick one,,, i,ll show ya some roads..... 8)  but then i remebered they ride Harleys./... ::) not jap bikes... and if they show up ::) they WILL see my 350 GTO  Dam posers ::) :-*

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
....snip...they WILL see my 350 GTO  Dam posers ::) :-*

How 'bout showing it to us first...  ;D
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline Mopar392

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
Hey Packrat you got any Grain Belt signs???  :-\ :)

Offline bsracer

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 01:40:28 AM »
I heard second hand that they send out scouts ahead of time and target particular items that they want to seem like "hens teeth" or whatever. On a side note, they did sell a Lambretta scooter on eBay recently for $9500 that was in rougher shape then the two I have! Then another seller sold one for around the same price a few weeks later. Gives me hope.

paul

Offline srpackrat49

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
 ;D  Well from what ive seen on the nose pickers is >:(  they really put up harleys... Ohhh  :o i,ll give ya 10K for that...... i sent them over 60 pics of my junk.... one of there producers called me back ;D said i had 90% of the stuff there looking for... i told the guy that i had 10 bikes and if mike and frank wanted to,,,  pick a bike and lets go for a ride..... I,m still waiting ??? ::)  pickers ???  or posers ;D

eeibell

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 02:35:26 PM »
 I found the bike on craigslist and went over to the east coast of Florida to a property way out in the middle of nowhere.  The man showed me the motorcycle and also showed me the house made out of plastic and steel rod that he lived in off the grid .. He told me about the show after I bought the bike he said they came out looked at the bike and then bought a Beatles album . The man was very strange the house was even stranger But it was fun to do. I ride the bike often I rode it around barber had a great time with my wife on the back..

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)