Author Topic: Racer Resurrection  (Read 91679 times)

Offline bsracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Racer Resurrection
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2016, 11:19:28 AM »
Hey Al,

looking pretty good. You may want to mock up the motor with just the carbs on to see how they line up with the lower relief in the faring.

paul

Offline al_pritchard

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2016, 03:56:25 PM »

Hi Paul,

Yea, I suspect a little cutting will be in order. I’v about 6cm between the fairing and the carb. I can try to spread the bottom of the fairing and get another centimeter or two. But I think it’s a loosing battle.

My options are to add a bubble - not very sightly but works well. Or cut a hole and let the filter pod stick out. I’m a little worried about that option. Not fully understanding he affects of air flow across the filter pod. Negating vs. positive air pressure and starving the carb.

On a related note - what to do about fuel.

Since it looks like I’m still looking for aluminum rims - and not looking forward to spending $325 a pop. I’v been trying to find ways to tighten the budget. One of the ways was to find an economical fuel petcock solution. Pingel valves are pretty and all, but at around $100 for high flow valves…

I stumbled across MPS Racing. (https://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/Petcocks.asp) They offer a high flow petcock at a very reasonable price. Think sub $55. Not particularly elegant, and and not offered in the size I need. But necessity is the mother of invention, and a good set of petcocks are a necessity.

Off to eBay and a set of 1/4" Female x Male NPT Mini Shutoff Ball Valves for $9.98. And a set of 1/4 NPT to 1/4 barb fittings for $11.18. Put me at a grand total of $21.16. Shipped!

I don’t plan of storing fuel in the tank, so I’m not that worried about the nylon used in the ball valve. If I need to replace them every season I’ll finally loos out after 10 years. I can live with that.

Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer

Offline al_pritchard

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »
Starting to think about paint, think of going blue and white. We seem to have a couple of the traditional red and yellow machines already. So why not be a little different.

Is anyone making the “BS” keystone logo? I’d like to get a couple.

I’d also like to get the “??????” if anyone is making them.

Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer

Offline bsracer

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
Hey Al,

looking good. If at all possible it would be best to have the carb as centered in that protrusion that you already have in the lower part of the fairing. Undisturbed air is the best as far as everyone I have talked to about it. My current fairing is a modified Aermacchi 250 one that Rockford supplied to racers. It fits too close to the carb mouth and that's the only reason I've put holes in the fairing. It looks like you have genuine SR carbs so the bell mouths are turned off. Nothing to clamp the unipod filter. If your fairing came with a belly pan, it may pull the fairing together too much at the bottom when fitted. You probably need to fit the fairing in the proper position first then work around that. I picked up a Airtech TD2 fairing which looks pretty much like yours and it will fit way different then my current fairing

Hiroshi Murata's bike is painted in the blue and white scheme. If you are talking about the Katana logo for "Bridgestone" on the lower part of the fairing I may be able to get some for you.

paul

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2016, 08:32:23 PM »
Starting to think about paint, think of going blue and white. We seem to have a couple of the traditional red and yellow machines already. So why not be a little different.

Is anyone making the “BS” keystone logo? I’d like to get a couple.

I’d also like to get the “??????” if anyone is making them.

Would something like this be of any interest to you?
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2016, 08:51:59 PM »
These are also available.....
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline al_pritchard

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the encouragement - ever moving forward.

I have the Airtech Bridgestone fairing. It looks like it may be a little wider than the TD2 (TD22 on the site) fairing that you were talking about. At least the side bubbles look wider. The Bridgestone fairing came with a belly pan. But it has no chance of fitting. Im starting to build a plug for a new belly pan now.

Hey Moonpup,

I’ll send you a message. I’d be interested in that.
Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer

Offline al_pritchard

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2016, 12:21:21 PM »
Slow but steady…

I’v worked up a BS Keystone logo for the tank. It’s not perfect, but I think it will work. Getting a hand full cut in vinyl - both black and white. If I end up with extras, I’d be happy to share them. I’ll also work to upload the Illustrator file, or at least a PDF.

I can’t seem to get the font correct for the Bridgestone name. So if anyone has any leads on what font it is. Or better yet, knows who owns the blue racer that was a Barber in 2015. Let me know. I only found 2 pictures of it, but it looks beautiful. And has the correct bridgestone logo on the fairing.

Only two photos I could find.

Next up. Finishing up a new belly pan. The one that came with the fairing won’t fit with my pipes, so I’m creating a new one. Fun with foam.
Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer

Offline bsracer

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2016, 01:47:40 AM »
Hey Al,

It's Hiroshi Murata's bike out of Santa Fe NM. I'm trying to build him a couple of motors for that bike! He gave me the Katana Bridgestone logo I have on my tank that's on the fairing.

paul
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:49:22 AM by bsracer »

Offline al_pritchard

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »
Any chance you have a digital copy of that Katana Bridgestone logo Paul?
Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer

Offline bsracer

« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2016, 10:30:53 PM »
Hey Al,

I don't but I'm sure he does. I'll see about getting a copy.

paul

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »
Here's a similar size logo in .jpg.  I also have it as a vector file in .wmf, .dxf and .dwg line formats that can be easily scaled and/or used to cut decals or stencils.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline al_pritchard

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2016, 08:40:09 AM »
Got to spend a couple of hours in the workshop this weekend.

The Ceriani forks and Penton triple tree required a little more work to finish up. If you remember from back around post #53, we had to skim down the steering shaft to fit the bearings. Thats all working well, but it’s not the only work that needed to be done. The lower fork leg needed to be opened up to 15mm. I wanted to keep the 15mm axle and bearings for the Bridgestone front hub.

The last bit of the puzzle is to make up some spacers to center the Bridgestone hub on the new forks. Interestingly the width of the Bridgestone axle from fork to form is the same as on the Ceriani - 133mm. But the Bridgestone is not symmetrical, meaning the hub sits into the right fork. Not up against it as with the Ceriani.

To get the hub centers I needed to make a 4mm spacer for the left, and 26mm spacer for the right. Note, the spacer on the right needed to have the same profile as the original part to accommodate the seal/dust cover. Needless to say, I was no entirely successful. I’m off by a little.

29.89mm vs. 29.52mm

Should have been 26mm and 4mm

Question to the group. The original spacer on the right of the hub is made of steel. Do you think it’s wise to replace it with an aluminum part? The spacer on the left should be good, as it is not a rotating spacer. But the one on the right will tend to spin on the shaft, as well as allowing the seal to spin on it.
Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2016, 03:50:45 PM »
   Hi Al,
           Looks like she is coming on well, great job.
   Just a general engineering observation on your choice of spacer materials. Aluminium should be ok as long as A, it does not spin on the steel shaft (tends to gall and wear quickly) and B, does not have a seal turning on it (seals pick up grit and can soon wear even hardened steel) . In other words use Ali for static spacers and steel for dynamic spacers.
   Then again, I probably over engineer, if weight is your main concern, use Ali but check regularly for wear.
     Brian.

Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline al_pritchard

« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2016, 09:49:15 AM »

Thats probably good advice Brian. This making parts thing is a little new for me. So getting some basic schooling never hurts. I think I'll be remaking the right side spacer in steel, and leave the left spacer in aluminum. The left spacer is static against the braking plate, where the right spacer is free spinning on the shaft.

Anything I should think about when selecting a material? I also need to make a new axle shaft, and was planning on using stainless. I know stainless on stainless is not a good idea, as you get galling.
Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
Al, once the axle is installed and tightened, the right spacer should be clamped axially against the right wheel bearing inner race and shouldn't spin on the axle.  Personally, for a race bike, I think aluminum would work. Lube the seal surface with a little grease when assembling to minimize wear and it should be good for the duration of a race bike's track time.  It wouldn't be satisfactory for a street bike, however.

You can always hone your machining skills by making a thin steel sleeve for the sealing surface of your aluminum spacer.   :)
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2016, 06:11:10 AM »
        I like the idea of the bi-metal right spacer, Karl --- best of both worlds, light weight and wear resistant.

With regard to material for the new axle shaft, I would seek some expert (not me) advice. SS is generally not known for it's high tensile properties but new improved grades could be available now. Maybe stick to proven grades of standard HT steel, you don't want that item failing at a crucial moment ::) :'(
 Brian.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:51:43 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline al_pritchard

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2016, 08:46:35 AM »

Thanks for trying to trigger my OCD Karl and Brian. But I’m going to do my best to not try making a duel metal spacer. Only because I see it ending in tears, and a lot of scrap metal.

I’ll take the advice on the axle material, an look for a suitable high strength steel.

Remade the brake torque arms over the weekend, as well as a couple of spacers. Still not perfect, but I suspect being off by 0.07mm is okay for an amateur.

Next task on the front end is to create spacers for the torque arm. The arm is a little to close to the fork in the pictures.

I need to go back and have a look at the original rear torque arm. I don’t remember it having an offset when I took my measurements. But the arm I made does not want to line up with the link bolt. I can fore it, but it the bar binds on the bolt if I do. I’m assuming the original arm had a bend in it, that I assumed was not “factory”.

Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2016, 08:57:17 AM »
Al, I believe both the front and rear links have a little offset on the stock setup. The stock front torque link has a small offset; you could probably bend the one you made and eliminate the need for a spacer, even though it will be a larger offset.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN

Offline al_pritchard

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40:06 AM »
Thats what I figured Karl. Guess that gives me something to do this weekend. :o
Al Pritchard
Highlands, NJ

BS175 Racer