Author Topic: 350 gtr gto. FUEL STABILIZER*****WINTER STORAGE  (Read 2503 times)

Offline AlanJohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
350 gtr gto. FUEL STABILIZER*****WINTER STORAGE
« on: November 02, 2018, 11:07:05 AM »
Would anyone know how long you could leave a gtr gto in dry storage with oil and fuel in place as a running bike before problems would begin (a week a month two months six months or longer)
lm just interested in opinions thanks very much.

Richard Clark Modified this message to ad word FUEL STABILIZER*****WINTER STORAGE. to the subject
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:28:47 PM by Richard Clark BS parts »

Offline Richard Clark BS parts

• Administrator
    • Bridgestone Motorcycle Discussion Board
Re: 350 gtr gto
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
Alan

I have been meaning to write an article about your question......just have not got around to it.   ::)
But here is short of it:

Use STA-BIL fuel stabilizer, it works great, I used 2 oz per gallon of fresh gas,   drain all old gas out of tank, put new
gas. in with STA-BIL, run engine for a few min to make sure fresh gas in in carbs.  This will protect for a year with no problem.

I use it in EVERYTHING, Mowers, Blowers, Chain Saws, Classic cars.

WORKS GREAT

Here is a link to their website. https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer/

Hope this helps
Richard Clark
Bridgestone Motorcycle Parts
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:30:20 PM by Richard Clark BS parts »
Richard  Clark, Owner and provider of this site
BRIDGESTONE MOTORCYCLE PARTS
New Albany IN

BS Shopping Cart- With just a few of my BS parts

https://6x6parts.com/bridgestone_motorcycle_parts/

Thanks
Richard Clark

bsparts@aye.net

Offline AlanJohn

Re: 350 gtr gto. FUEL STABILIZER*****WINTER STORAGE
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »
Thanks for that.
so without any additives how often would you start one?
Alan.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
With out the additive I would start, run and then replace ( not just add to old gas)  gas every 3 months. Got to get the old gas out.
Why not use the additive?   Just asking. Jeff Bar

Offline AlanJohn

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »
The reason l asked was because l have five Gto's and three Gtrs and l start them approximately once a month get them warm and ride them around my car park and wondered if this is enough they never go out in the rain but are not ridden far am l asking for problems or would once a month be ok.
Kind regards
Alan

Offline AlanJohn

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
From what I understand then it's not starting that's the problem it's how long the fuels in the tank and carbs?
Alan.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 06:51:46 PM »
I have good luck with several months storage on trimmers, chain saws and motorcycles, leaving fuel in them all winter, although I ride the street bikes once a month all winter most times.  The dirt bikes get the gas drained if I remember.  It does help significantly if you can find ethanol free gas. In Indiana, most CountryMark stations have it. If you live around a large recreation or fishing lake, there are likely to be gas stations that cater to boat owners and have ethanol-free fuel.  Most airports will sell ethanol-free aviation fuel to anyone, you just can't put it into a road-going vehicle (on the property) due to the gas tax situation.  And Richard is correct, Sta-Bil is well worth the cost if you're not going to use the vehicle/trimmer/saw/etc. for any extended period.  Just make sure you start the engine and get the stabilized fuel into the carburetor after adding it to the tank.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline James14p

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 07:56:41 AM »
Though I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis, I had a bike with a full tank of gas and STA-BIL in it that sat for 8 years. Drained the fuel and put fresh in, and a new battery. Hit the starter and with in a half dozen turns, it fired up. Carb didn't have a bit of issues, no float sticking, nothing. I am sold on STA-BIL!

Offline AlanJohn

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 10:03:33 AM »
Motul is a fuel stabiliser over here in the uk seems to be the same idea l'm going to put in all my bikes l appreciate the advice it seems to be a good thing to do.

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »
Allan John: I read an article years ago regarding starting/running a bike every so often in the winter. Not a good idea, as you are not burning out any condensation that is produced as a by-product of combustion, or condensation building up in the mufflers. Getting the the engine warm and driving around for a few minutes in a car park will not get the engine internals hot enough.  You can only burn off said condensation by getting the  bike out on the hiway at hiway speeds for say, 10 15 miles or so. Not easy or practical in a snow-belt state. Best to do Stabil treatment as mentioned above, and wait impatiently for Spring. More storage tips here:

https://blog.esurance.com/motorcycle-storage-7-ways-to-keep-winter-from-trashing-your-ride/

Offline BS Mechanic

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »
Keep in mind that the concern over condensation in the crankcase applies primarily to 4 stroke engines.  In a 2 stroke, any blow-by just mixes with the incoming charge and burns so it doesn't accumulate like it does in a 4 stroke.

The muffler is still a problem, any condensation left will cause rapid rusting from the inside.

I still share the opinion that you're better to put stabilizer in the fuel, remove the battery, and just let things sit till spring in a dry storage environment. 

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 08:14:08 AM »
              Totally agree with nysz1b and BS Mechanic about not starting the engine for short periods during cold weather.

Spent weeks last autumn/early winter trying to solve carb issues on my GTO. This meant short engine runs and taking the pipes off 'again', every time before the carbs could come off (pain in the ass :( ).
          Used to stand the pipes, inlet down, over a old pan to drain excess oil build up. It was very noticeable the volume of water also draining, increased as the air temperatures went down. The pipes would spit water from the tailpipe when really cold. The high pipes on a GTO also allow some oil/water to drain back toward the engine, not what you want !, doesn't happen with the low pipes on a GTR.
        After realising how much water was left in the pipes, I resisted the temptation to start the engine and simply kicked the motor over every couple of weeks. Giving the bike a good run before laying up for the winter will minimise moisture left in the engine and pipes.                                                                                             Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »
Brian the removing the high pipes is a pain I was doing the same thing a while ago and got fed up so I put a set of low pipes on until sorted

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
What a bunch of babies  ;)..... at least the high pipes don't get center stand dents in them and it's cheaper to paint them vs. having to get 'em chromed!  banana
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »
               Bbwwaaaahhhhh..................... not knocking the GTO pipes, they make the bike but wait till you've taken 'em off for the twentieth time and you too can feel like you are dragging a nappy (diaper) full of do-do behind you  :D ;D :D.  (re family guy episode).
               Coxy's solution is the answer  iagree if you have GTR pipes available, I shouda done that !
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:04:33 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
           Here's a link for UK members to buy STA-BIL, didn't find this when I looked last week.

http://sta-bil.co.uk/product/sta-bil-storage-fuel-stabilizer/

At £11.99 for 236ml delivered, seems like a good deal to protect your carbs and engine over the winter. Mixed at recommended 30ml per 2 gallons would treat up to 8 machines..................... So what stops the Sta-bil going off ?  :D ;D :D ::)                                     Brian.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:04:44 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline Ragman

• Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 03:07:12 PM »
I got 473ml for £14.99 delivered from the 'Bay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STA-BIL-Stabil-Fuel-Stabilizer-Storage-Petrol-Treatment-Additive-473ml-16oz/201719020841?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Got in my bikes and garden equipment now.

Thanks for the advice people.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 04:40:28 AM »
          That's a much better deal, didn't come up for me. Never mind there's always next year, thanks for posting.
Unspoiled by progress.

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)