Author Topic: 175 Dual Twin Carb Starter System Adjustment Question-Steve Reed or anyone else  (Read 3324 times)

paul25g

• Trade Count: (0)
Here's a question for Steve Reed or anyone else who may know. 

I'm coming to the end of my 175 restoration and am at the point of adjusting all my cables.  I've found good info for adjusting everyting except for the starter system.  I know there must be some initial adjustment to shoot for because there is an adjuster and locknut where the cable goes into the carb.  Does anyone know how to do this?  The Official Bridgestone Service manual and the Clymer manual describe the Starter System and how to use it but say nothing (that I can find) about initial adjustments.  Thanks for your help!

Paul

reed

Paul 25g
when you adjust the choke cable make shore that you have some free play in the cable!
Thanks.
Reed.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Adjust the cable adjusters at each carb so that with the handlebar lever in the "off" position, there is just a slight amount of play in the cable on each side. You want the plungers to completely close, but to start to pull open at about the same time with just a little movement of the handlebar lever.  It is not critical.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

paul25g

Thanks for the reply Karl, that's exactly what Steve Reed told me to do.....I called and spoke with him yesterday.  He was a ton of help!

As far as the handlebar starter lever is concerned.....should I be able to push it all the way forward and have to hold it while using the starter system and then when I let off should the lever return all the way to the off position on its own? 

Or is there an intermediate position that the lever should return to on its own and then have to pull it the rest of the way off manually? 

Just need to know how much tension to put on the lever before I tighten the lock nut and this is my first 175 so am not sure how it was originally supposed to work.

Thanks again Karl!

Paul

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
The ones on mine are adjusted so that they will come back about halfway on their own, then you have to pull them fully off.  I'm not certain what is correct, again it's not critical.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

paul25g

Sounds good, thanks again Karl!

Paul

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362