Author Topic: 18 year olds restoring BS-175  (Read 2638 times)

defiance

• Trade Count: (0)
18 year olds restoring BS-175
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:41:41 AM »
Hi, I'm a new member here and I just wanted to introduce myself and explain whats going on to see if i might be able to get some help.

I went up to my mom last week and said "Hey mom!" kiddingly she replies "what do you want?" I say 800 dollars for an old used Suzuki GSX-R. She started laughing at me. But unbelieveably our family friend who was also there says "Why do you want to buy a motorcycle? You already have one in your dads garage..." Now I wasn't supposed to know that but now that its out in the open, the bike is in my own garage!   :) See, back in September my Dad passed away, and finally I found a thing that can bring me back a little closer, this was his motorcycle and I want it to be mine. My "new" Bridgestone 175+ Dual Twin is much cooler and more sentimental than a flashy Suzuki.

Only problem is its sudo-broken.
Me and my good friend Kyle have taken on the project of restoring this old bike and we are just looking for some answers to questions and        maybe some help on how to do things.
I have to fix a couple things.

Our petcock is somewhat clogged and leaking. Is it better to just get a new one?
We changed all the fluids in the bike but forgot about the transmission. Does the transmission have its own fluid or does it use the oil from the oil injection
We got it to start once but it was extremely smoky out the pipes. Is it common to have a lot of exhaust or does a lot more have to be done on the bike?
And finally I'm trying to clean this up and make it look realllllllly nice. What should I do about paint? Cleaning? Any hints or tips?

Thanks for all the help.

bridgestonesforever

Re: 18 year olds restoring BS-175
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
What's your name?

What oil are you using in the oil injection?  many smoke a lot. do a search on this board, as there has been much written about oils
also see Richard TIPS section

First off. to clean pint, hot soapy water, then light polishing compound, then wax.

There also are a few messages about fuel petcocks, again do a search

Luke in AK

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
project
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »
First, welcome to the site and the world of Bridgestones. Second, sorry to hear the loss of your father at a young age. Hopefully you can get the 175 going faithfully again to recall some old memories and make new ones.
I guess lots of smoke on start up could indicate problems, but I also think that if it has sat for years and you only ran it for a minute or two it could be normal to expect the old oil to be smokey coming out. You should probably spend a little more for oil and try some of the "smoke-less" variety. Just make sure you don't buy 2 stroke oil that's made for outboards. Make sure it says for motorcycles. I don't know if others advise otherwise, but I'd suggest adding some oil straight into the gas tank until you know the injector pump is working. Even a 40:1 or 50:1 ratio should protect the pistons in case the injector pump isn't working properly.
A copy of my dad's 175 manual shows that the transmission would hold just less than a quart of oil. I know someone else mentioned to pull the fill-plug out until the level reaches it. Then you know it's full. The manual recommends SAE 10W30 for all season, or SAE 30 in the summer and SAE 20 in the winter.
I know some topics are covered in previous discussions elsewhere on the site, but if you can't find them - ask. And we always enjoy seeing photos of another surviving BS.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

defiance

Re: 18 year olds restoring BS-175
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:05:10 AM »
Hey guys, thanks a lot for replying to my post, I will definitely be post on many places on the site, and for the record my name is Damien haha (Can't believe I forgot that...)

Alright I found the 175 forum area so I'll repost part of this to there. Thanks again.

Gallery

Views:328
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1462
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1795
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1862
Comments (0)